Advice, thoughts, or opinions please, time for a break or not?

Options
After some advice and opinions please.
I'm 175 cm tall, I've been under 145 lbs for 2.5 years usually about 140 ish got a 370 day streak going but I'm thinking of giving it a rest for a bit to concentrate on fitness rather than weight.
I've got a good Idea of what I can eat without logging anyway. I'm not entirely sure I want to but he constant logging is getting to me a bit.
I'm not talking about going completely off the rails or quitting completely, just easing up on the slightly obsessive counting I've been doing for a few months.
Any suggestions, thoughts or opinions all gratefully appreciated.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Woodspoon wrote: »
    After some advice and opinions please.
    I'm 175 cm tall, I've been under 145 lbs for 2.5 years usually about 140 ish got a 370 day streak going but I'm thinking of giving it a rest for a bit to concentrate on fitness rather than weight.
    I've got a good Idea of what I can eat without logging anyway. I'm not entirely sure I want to but he constant logging is getting to me a bit.
    I'm not talking about going completely off the rails or quitting completely, just easing up on the slightly obsessive counting I've been doing for a few months.
    Any suggestions, thoughts or opinions all gratefully appreciated.

If logging is stressful for you or giving you negative feelings or emotions/thoughts then I would pursue methods of eating that don't involve logging.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I agree with Side Steel. Set a weight range for yourself and keep an eye on the scale. If you get beyond that range then you can always log for a while until you are back down to where you want to be.

I am still in the weight loss mode but I already know that I can't track for a long periods of time. I have already started to ease up on the weighing and just do guesstimates on lower calorie items. I still weigh the calorie dense items however. I have still lost almost 6lbs this month which is on track for what my deficit is set for.

Good luck and just do what is right for you.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your opinions and advice.
    I think you've confirmed what I was already thinking, ease up but stay within the weight range I've been for a while.
    I think I just needed a bit of a confirmation to do it, I don't like to feel like I'm giving up or giving myself excuses for no reason.
    Thank you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I get tired sometimes, although I've done this for several years. Another option is to log but relax. So do the big things or things you're not sure about and do it every day, but not every sugar packet or piece of lettuce.

Or just log once a day - sit and go through all your meals and get it down as best you can, instead of logging constantly during the day. That keeps you mindful but is easier. You can log your exercise then too.

I just think the discipline of logging is a good habit you don't want to walk away from. Even if it's your exercise.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for 6 or so years and just come back to log if I am consistently losing or gaining, or if I change my exercise routine.

Give yourself a weight range that you are happy with 5-10 lb., then weigh weekly. If you find there is a trend happening in either direction correct it by watching your portions or logging for a few weeks.

I find I like to log for a few weeks if I am drastically changing my exercise routine, I tend to start losing so have to figure out my burn. You may find counting for the first few weeks while you start new routines more helpful than dropping the counting cold turkey.

I too am very aware of my portion sizes and food requirements and I find that really helps when not logging.

Try it you sound as though you would enjoy a logging break.

Cheers, h.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I get tired sometimes, although I've done this for several years. Another option is to log but relax. So do the big things or things you're not sure about and do it every day, but not every sugar packet or piece of lettuce.

Or just log once a day - sit and go through all your meals and get it down as best you can, instead of logging constantly during the day. That keeps you mindful but is easier. You can log your exercise then too.

I just think the discipline of logging is a good habit you don't want to walk away from. Even if it's your exercise.

This. I got tired after only five months. I wish I had the money for a personal trainer, as that definitely inspired me. I lost a bunch, but have been maintaining ever since.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply's and help

I think you've all reinforced what I was already sort of thinking, ease up on it for maybe a month or so but not stop completely, just enough to have a rest and relax and re evaluate, before perhaps starting fresh again.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Personally I would continue logging, but ease up your restrictions. At this point weight loss probably shouldn't be what your looking for. you should want to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat. A higher calorie diet can work for that.