Noob Gains?

Options
Someone recently replied to a comment I made regarding muscle gain during weight loss training. I have read a few times that when losing weight, you don't really gain muscle. I commented that I could definitely see muscle build and I am still losing weight and this guy asked if it was noob gains. What the heck is that?

Replies

• RobertDupuy
    RobertDupuy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on this, but just happened to be reading an article on the subject today. From what I understand is the goal for the more experienced body builders is to maintain muscle, if on calorie deficits. However if new to body building you may be able to both be on a calorie deficit and gain muscle.
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Someone who is new to working out will see gains a lot faster than someone who is used to working out, and some can even get decent gains while on a calorie deficit.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Within the first six moths-1 year or so of lifting weights for the first time your body reacts really well and adapts to the new stimulus (lifting). Normally to build muscle you have to eat in a calorie surplus (thus gaining some fat with muscle). New lifters can eat at maintenance or in a deficit and can probably still see some decent results (newbie gains). You might also think that your gaining muscle at the moment as you are loosing weight as the muscle mass that you already have is simply being revealed which gives the illusion of growth (looking more shredded etc).
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Within the first six moths-1 year or so of lifting weights for the first time your body reacts really well and adapts to the new stimulus (lifting). Normally to build muscle you have to eat in a calorie surplus (thus gaining some fat with muscle). New lifters can eat at maintenance or in a deficit and can probably still see some decent results (newbie gains). You might also think that your gaining muscle at the moment as you are loosing weight as the muscle mass that you already have is simply being revealed which gives the illusion of growth (looking more shredded etc).

This. Especially the bold.
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I didn't do much strength training when I first lost weight and I wish I had. You can certainly add muscle and define the look of muscles while losing weight but have to find the right calorie deficit for it. You also have to realize the scale number would be the best indicator of losing/gaining weight. For example, over the last five weeks (where I did a pretty in depth workout and nutrition routine) I only lost a couple pounds but my clothes fit better and I can see more of a difference in the mirror than in the scale.
  • nissa5575
    nissa5575 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Thank you!!!!