Eating habits

Options
I have 2 kids and eating the correct thing is sometimes hard. Especially when there is no time to cook a meal so you have to go grab some take out and eat that. Is there a way around this? What do you do when you don't have time to make the right kind of food? Any advice?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    There are many, many meals that can be made in less time than it takes to go get take out. You might try searching for "quick dinner recipes" or something like that.
  • buket1819
    buket1819 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can try cooking your meals before and keeping it in the fridge to take out and eat later :)
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Meal prep.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I usually meal plan, so there's at least a weeks worth of food in the cupboards and fridge ready to be made into meals.

Quick store cupboard meals - omelette, baked potato with cheese or beans, tuna/ pasta bake.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    batch cook at the weekend, portion it out and freeze it

always have things you're happy to cook up at last minute

pasta and pesto is a great one for small kids with vegetables
    fish fingers
    any rice stir fry dish with chicken / fish / prawn is quick and easy
    learn to use spices
    Jacket potatoes etc

fill your freezer with pre-cooked foods in portions so you can always grab

Have salads and vegetables to hand

plan - rather than get caught out

it just takes commitment really and a bit of pre-planning
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you are out and simply must get take out, get a healthier option. Many fast food places offer grilled chicken or steak with salad. Opt for lighter dressings and toss out the croutons:)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Try picking one day of the week that your kids are around like on a Sunday or something and include them in a meal/dinner/snack prep for the week activity. Also, I never go anywhere without a small cooler filled with healthy snacks, carrot sticks, almonds, string cheese, fruit, etc.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Meal prep or quick meals.
    My quick meal is to steam veggies in microwave (3-4 minutes), stovetop sautee of some kind of fish or steak, or you can use deli ham, turkey or roast beef or chicken and a huge bowl of greens.
    Add spices and olive oil/vinegar and there you have it.
    A big, colorful delicious and nutritious salad!
    Depending on your calories available, you can add hardboiled eggs, cheese, seeds or nuts, avocado, etc.
    I eat this all the time and I never get tired of it
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    batch cook at the weekend, portion it out and freeze it

always have things you're happy to cook up at last minute

pasta and pesto is a great one for small kids with vegetables
    fish fingers
    any rice stir fry dish with chicken / fish / prawn is quick and easy
    learn to use spices
    Jacket potatoes etc

fill your freezer with pre-cooked foods in portions so you can always grab

Have salads and vegetables to hand

plan - rather than get caught out

it just takes commitment really and a bit of pre-planning

Noticed this is your 7,777th post!
  • TrevorOwen8
    TrevorOwen8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Great advice!!!!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Cook ahead in large batches on weekend, freeze portions for defrosting during the week. A crock pot is a big help in doing this.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have kids too and they're a good motivator to get the right balance of food going on. The 6 year old does a lot of gymnastics so we have quite a few meals that have to be quick to make and eat between school, me finishing work and then getting him to gym. He's fussy but His favourites include spaghetti with Passata and balsamic or quorn chicken pieces (so quick!) in a stir fry with noodles and carrot. Leftovers are super quick so if I do a roast chicken (with lemon and Rosemary) with mashed potato and broccoli on a Sunday we have it on the Monday too but I might make bubble and squeak with the veg instead.
    As others have said - use a slow cooker - if you have NO time you can at least buy ready diced meat and ready chopped veg - throw into the slow cooker with herbs, garlic, stock or wine or cider or whatever you want and leave it to its magic.
  • betsyellens22
    betsyellens22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yup, meal prep! Thats what everyone has been saying! Also, i just went to Bob Evans yesterday (because the boyfriend and I were out and about, and got super hungry!) and most restaurants have certain menu items that are a low cal/overall better option!
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Crock pot too!
    I have some chicken slow cooking today while I'm at work (shredded chicken) - which will be used for my protein on salads for the rest of the week for lunches.
    Steamed fish is really quick too. White fish, lemon, little butter, wine, shallots, capers, tomatoes, paprika, cajun seasoning, etc (not all at once, just ideas) - wrap in foil with alittle water (2T), and bake at 350 for about 10-14 minutes. add some microwaved steamed veggies (5 minutes in micro). And done, less than 15 minutes to a healthy dinner.