Becoming an Exercise Addict!

Options
Dawn410
Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been at this about a month now, and I'm finding that the more I workout, the more I want to workout. When I get started on my jog, I don't want to stop. When I start my strength exercises, I want to work more and more muscle groups. Last night DH commented on how active I have become, and it's true! I don't like to sit still anymore. I just love how eating healthy and exercise has made me feel so much stronger and enhanced my overall sense of well being.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok. As long as you're getting adequate rest for your training plan
  • Dawn410
    Options
    Ok. As long as you're getting adequate rest for your training plan

Probably not. But right now my plan is mostly just "burn calories" by incorporating as much activity into my day as possible. I know that when I get to the "increase muscle" phase. I will have to tone down the cardio.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too and I've been gonig for over two years now (with a couple of breaks here and there). It's just never enough. I swear I'd like to quit my day job and spend the day exercising LOL! If I don't get over 1,000 calories burned per day in exercise alone I feel like it's a rest day! I keep waiting for the crash & burn but it doesn't come. I don't have a planned rest day, I just keep going and eventually I have a day where I feel like I literally have cement blocks on my feet, I make that my rest day :smile: I incorporated heavy weights into my routine about three weeks ago but didn't let up on the cardio either. I'm still getting in my calorie burn and I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program. It's awesome!
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think there's a name for it...like exercise euphoria or something. I've been there and love that feeling! However like someone else mentioned make sure you do get rest and schedule rest days. I went through a period where I couldn't sleep and I believe it was from overtraining. I just looked forward to getting up and running or lifting!!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yeah, overtraining can become a real problem. I went through a short period of this myself. I had to cut back for a few days and then got back on the wagon. It sneaks up on you and you'll get no results from your workouts.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I get like that too. Some days its almost non stop. I'll run until I can't. Then 3 hours later ready to go again. So I'll do kettlebells or run again. It just feels great. I do try to make sure I have slow days though it's hard when you are in this mode. I also find that it goes in cycles, there will be a couple weeks where I really don't feel like it and I just let myself NOT do it, but make sure I get at least 3 moderate workouts in. Just enjoy it and make sure you don't over-do things. You'll know if you are.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Totally relate! Sometimes I find myself at the gym two times in one day, I'm out and about walking, doing situps watching TV... I love it!
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can get this way, but I tend to burn out if I don't get rest days. I would work in some rest days here and there - it will make your workouts more enjoyable and you will get better results. Also, it will help prevent injury.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about exercise! I love it! :)

However, I do not allow myself to train every day (training the same muscle group); I switch between running, cycling and swimming. One or two days a week I take a rest day. I may do a light swim or have a walk on such days.

Recovery is really important; not doing it properly will lead to injuries. It's just a matter of time. And on the other hand, if you take enough time to recover well will make you stronger and faster.

You probably know this. Just wanted to share this, it's better to learn this early than to learn this the hard way.

Enjoy your exercise! ;)
  • Dawn410
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't think I'm at at risk of injury from my jogs. My legs are fairly strong, due to work 12- 16 hour shifts that require 5-10 miles of walking. I tend to stop my jogs due to other priorities ( need to attend to my kid, or the sun is setting, have to get to work, etc) than due to fatigue.

Strength workouts, particularly upper body workouts, are more of a challenge, because I just haven't done much in the way of strengthening those muscle groups. So I do take a day off between resistance training.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Never gotten it. Never. Ran cross country and track in high school before shifting to weight lifting. Never felt a twinge. LOL.

I wish I actually liked exercise. It would make everything so much easier!
  • Dawn410
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I honestly think that for me, the biggest appeal is that it's me time. I'm not focusing on taking care of a 2 year old, or being a nurse to people who can't care for themselves, or being a supportive wife to my husband in grad school, or being a chef and housekeeper to a busy family. When I'm running I can totally focus on me, my mind relaxes. It's peaceful and joyful. I smile like a fool on my jogs, can't help it I just find it so wonderful!
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous! I am currently taking time off from jogging due to an injury which may have been caused by overtraining...or not taking breaks (boo). I am also currently on hold for my doctor to discuss said injury and have been on hold for more than 30 minutes (grr!) I can't wait to run again. (sad face).
  • Dawn410
    edited June 2015
    Options
    gkauf744 wrote: »
    I'm so jealous! I am currently taking time off from jogging due to an injury which may have been caused by overtraining...or not taking breaks (boo). I am also currently on hold for my doctor to discuss said injury and have been on hold for more than 30 minutes (grr!) I can't wait to run again. (sad face).

I'my sorry you're injured. Maybe it is something that will heal quickly. Good luck with your doctor!
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I wish I felt that way. I can't even get to the point where I don't feel that I'm torturing myself each time I force myself through the door of the gym. It's not even that it's all that painful or anything. I just find it boring and unpleasant, and instead of the supposed happy endorphin feeling, I feel cranky, awkward and uncomfortable.

How does one learn to like exercise?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    As a former coach and trainer i have to say that this is so wrong.
    Yes exercise is good for you But your body needs rest too...this to repair muscle and get stronger.
    When no rest you will get injured. And that has nothing to do with how strong you are.

further i read out of your posting you dont eat back at all. This will damage your body even more. Remember you maybe dont mind the muscle loss...but your heart is also a muscle! Not enough nutrition back in your body will have consequences for your body.
    What kind? No idea i think i have seen them all in my 35 years of teaching people. From just broken bones to heart failures.

And i dont say you get any of these. Only say that over training is bad. Not feeding your body right is bad. And not giving your body the time to rest is bad.
  • Dawn410
    Options
    I do feed my body right. I am very careful about my food choices. I try to get a variety of foods into my diet. I eat when I'm hungry, I don't eat when I'm not. I jog a lot harder than my comfort level. I take days off now and again.

I am not going to damage my heart by losing 20 lbs. If I were anorexic/severely underweight/ only eating 1 food group, etc then I would be at risk for cardiac damage.