Walking does not raise my heart rate anymore

Options
I've been walking for about 6 months. Now I walk very very quickly and nothing.. Just a slight raise. Does this mean I need to begin running?

Replies

• lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, It's time to run.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would say Jog-walk intervals.... =]
  • mimimiau
    mimimiau Posts: 18
    Options
    as much as i hate saying this...and as much as i hate running...the answer is yes. your body is used to the exercise so it's not a challenge anymore. whenever this happens you don't lose too many calories. my trainer makes my exercise more difficult every month or so. in order to feel your exercising and actually losing your heart beat needs to be over 130 or so, depending on your weight.

don't know if this helps, but good luck from now on.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    You will need to up your intensity some how it might be running, or interval training.
  • sexipepsi
    sexipepsi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely start doing intervals
  • LyssaMarie13
    Options
    Yes. I would say it's safe for you to run! Just do a walk/run. Run until you feel like you need to stop. But listen to your body, not your mind. Remember running is completely mental. You usually can do you if you just think you can. If you keep telling yourself you need to stop you will. I like to set goals for myself. Ie. I'll run to that stop sign, usually when i get there I'm like ok that wasn't so bad I got this. Then I set another goal for myself and so on and so forth.
    Hope I helped!
    ~Alyssa
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That's what I did - there is only so fast you can go or so long. I am sure if you walk REAL quickly for a longer period of time, you'll probably get the heart rate up again, but who has time for that on a regular basis. If you are that fit, you are probably too advanced for the "Couch to 5k" (C25K). You can try intervals yourself, for example run 2 minutes, walk 1. Do that for 20 minutes on two days and then up it to 3/1, then 4/1 and you always must be able to do it for two days before you can move on. ONe day, you'll be running 20 minutes and voila - you are a runner :-)
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Interval training like P90X or Insanity is much more befeficial than running. It burns a lot more calories anyways.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes- you need to kick it up a bit because it seems your body has adjusted to your current routine (which is how it's supposed to work) But if you're anti-running or jogging, you could try wearing wrist and/or ankle weights, walking uphill, or alternating walking and jogging.

Good luck!
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Also, try stairs. Greatest way in history to raise heartrate, burn caloris and tone that ever dreaded Butt! Good luck. I hate stairs but I can tell you thy really work!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i walk 2 miles a few times a week, so when that got too easy, i added ankle weights and changed my walk route to include some hills. i burn about 200 more calories that way :)
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would try walking with weights to boost it up.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    hills, stairs, etc - but not weights- they can be stressing to your joints
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Walk/run certainly, but don't over do it. Hills if you can find some, stairs, more difficult terrain (eg grass, gravel tracks). Mix it up.

Try C25K program, although you're probably already far from the C stage!

But to be honest, I'd be surprised if you don't elevate your heart rate by walking 4.5mph for 30 mins. Maybe not as much as you'd like, but it's still going to be doing some good.

I can easily walk a half marathon without getting my heart rate going, but it doesn't mean I'm not burning any calories!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Slight raise compared to what? Your heart rate should be at a certain rate lying down, slightly higher sitting, higher again standing, higher again walking etc. Are you taking your resting heart rate to compare it to?
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Interval training like P90X or Insanity is much more befeficial than running. It burns a lot more calories anyways.

I bet you I burn at least as many if not more calories on a 45 minute tempo run as you do on a day of P90x.