Eating too much but still hungry

Options
I'm female, 24, around 5'8 and weigh 153lbs. I used to be around 140lbs and want to get back to this. I have started exercising more and I know I have more muscle but I have gained fat over the last year/exam period and I want to get rid of this. I've been logging for a week now and I'm really struggling to keep calories down and I end up eating loads. I am logging calories very accurately and weighing everything. I'm trying to stick to a net of 1500 but so far have failed, and if I don't exercise for a day I will be way over as I am just as hungry.

Yesterday was a typical day:

Breakfast: 0% fat greek yoghurt, granola, strawberries, tea with milk (468 cals)
Exercised: I ran 10k (burning 715 cals), and then did some free weight arm exercises (didn't log this), and 10 mins on a cross trainer (burned 85 cals). I also walk a fair bit as I'm a student and I don't have a car. I drank loads of water during and after my workout.
Post workout snack : banana (105 calories), more water
Lunch: 2 quorn sausages, 1 egg, 1 piece seeded bread, salad including tomatoes, lettuce, carrot, beetroot, cucumber, mushrooms, cottage cheese, peach 0% fat greek yoghurt, sprinkling of granola, tea with milk (844 cals)
Snack: go ahead crispy apple slices, herbal tea (171cals)
Dinner: veg soup, 2 quorn sausages, 2 crumpets, peanut butter, broccoli, mixed veg, asparagus, 0% fat mango greek yoghurt, tea with milk (762 cals)
Snack: go ahead crispy apple slices (171 cals), water
I was still hungry in the evening and went to bed hungry
That's a whopping total of 2526 calories. Net of 1726.

Any advice on how I can cut calories and not feel hungry all the time? I know that is a massive amount of food but I am still hungry and want more. I know I'm not going to lose the weight without cutting down a lot more but can't deal with feeling hungry all the time.

Today I have eaten just under 1300 cals (and I'm still hungry) and I only did a brief strength workout this morning which won't have burnt many calories. I was going to have a day off cardio because my muscles are sore but because I've already eaten so much I think I should go and hit the pool later to burn some of it off.

Replies

• LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I just eat. Of course, I try to eat more protein as it is more filling! and may throw in some healthy carbs if I feel like that is what I am craving.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    More fat, protein and high fiber veggies.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You might be interested in the documentary "Fed Up!" It's available on Netflix.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes, more protein, veggies and healthy fats. I'd cut down on the fruit and grains for a while.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. It usually takes two - four or even more weeks before the calories finally start to shed. Be patient.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Can you find small ways to cut back in your calories? Maybe instead of Crispy Apple Slices (whatever those are), just eat a real apple? Have 1 crumpet instead of 2. Use half the amount of granola.

It looks like you eat a lot of very processed food ( sausage, yogurt, cottage cheese, crispy apple slices, peanut butter,granola). I find I feel fuller and more satisfied if I use my calories for real, unprocessed foods. Eating fresh fruits and veggies fills me up with fiber. Instead of sugary peanut butter, eat the same amount of calories in actual fresh nuts. Instead of granola, have some plain steel cut oatmeal with berries mixed into it.
  • tashigolean34
    tashigolean34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You need to eat healthy fats. Fats and protein are satiating.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Because you know you can eat those and still lose.

I also agree with the healthy fats.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Definitely look for more nutrient dense foods, yogurt for me is not really filling but has a fair amount of calories, but it has no bulk, nothing that fills me up. I know for me, eating a big breakfast keeps me going strong for the rest of the day. Also be patient with yourself. Your body is used to eating more, there's an adjustment period. Pretty soon it won't be such a big deal and you'll feel satiated with fewer calories.
  • amanda_the_mom
    amanda_the_mom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The sausages will use up a lot of your calories because of the fat. I find myself way more satiated when I eat lean protein. I bet your granola is full of sugar too. Eat real apple instead of the dried apple. Each 171 calories from the apple slices could have been 2 or 3 real apple. If you are 6 apples instead I'm sure you would feel WAY more full
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    RBracken34 wrote: »
    You might be interested in the documentary "Fed Up!" It's available on Netflix.

avoid this dross like the plague
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    The key to life for me has been keeping up both my protein and fiber, especially fiber. Sometimes I get hungry, but nothing like folks have reported on the forums. Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    More fat, protein and high fiber veggies.

^^this^^
  • Guy04
    Guy04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Drink more water,it will help curb your appetite !
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Yesterday was a typical day:

Breakfast: 0% fat greek yoghurt, granola, strawberries, tea with milk (468 cals)
    - that's a lot of calories, try switching it to something like scrambled egg / egg white on toast (with cheese / mushrooms etc) and you can get a big protein hit for 200 calories

Exercised: I ran 10k (burning 715 cals), and then did some free weight arm exercises (didn't log this), and 10 mins on a cross trainer (burned 85 cals). I also walk a fair bit as I'm a student and I don't have a car. I drank loads of water during and after my workout.
    - you should be eating back at least half of these

Post workout snack : banana (105 calories), more water

Lunch: 2 quorn sausages, 1 egg, 1 piece seeded bread, salad including tomatoes, lettuce, carrot, beetroot, cucumber, mushrooms, cottage cheese, peach 0% fat greek yoghurt, sprinkling of granola, tea with milk (844 cals)

Snack: go ahead crispy apple slices, herbal tea (171cals)

Dinner: veg soup, 2 quorn sausages, 2 crumpets, peanut butter, broccoli, mixed veg, asparagus, 0% fat mango greek yoghurt, tea with milk (762 cals)

Snack: go ahead crispy apple slices (171 cals), water

Your diet seems low on protein and fats .. what kind of grammes of both did you hit

• AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Brit to American translation: Go Ahead apple slices are a kinda fruit filled cookie touted as a low calorie snack (not dried apple slices) and quorn sausages are high-protein veggie sausages so should actually be really filling.

Still everyone who has said eat more protein, fat and high fiber veggies is giving you awesome advice. Are you vegetarian or just eating quorn for a lower calorie option? If you open your diary there are others on the forum far more experienced than I who can really help you make some tweaks with foods that will keep you feeling more satisfied.
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's partly a mind game. Eat slowly. Keep yourself distracted. Chew gum (sugarfree)--for many people, just the act of chewing makes you feel less hungry. After a few days it will be much easier! Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Just a quick Brit to American translation: Go Ahead apple slices are a kinda fruit filled cookie touted as a low calorie snack (not dried apple slices) and quorn sausages are high-protein veggie sausages so should actually be really filling.

Still everyone who has said eat more protein, fat and high fiber veggies is giving you awesome advice. Are you vegetarian or just eating quorn for a lower calorie option? If you open your diary there are others on the forum far more experienced than I who can really help you make some tweaks with foods that will keep you feeling more satisfied.

fwiw, we have quorn in the U.S. too. I never would have guessed "go ahead apple slices" would be cookies. :smile:
  • ChloRose513
    ChloRose513 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I am vegetarian and I find it hard to eat enough protein. The quorn sausages are high protein and I eat them purely to add protein to my diet - i eat quorn or tofu most days for this reason. I also eat a lot of eggs, greek yoghurt and cottage cheese as they are also high in protein. What other high protein things would you recommend for a vegetarian? And what are some good fats? I already eat nuts and seeds.

That day was 54.6g fat, 327.9g carbs and 119.4g protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I am vegetarian and I find it hard to eat enough protein. The quorn sausages are high protein and I eat them purely to add protein to my diet - i eat quorn or tofu most days for this reason. I also eat a lot of eggs, greek yoghurt and cottage cheese as they are also high in protein. What other high protein things would you recommend for a vegetarian? And what are some good fats? I already eat nuts and seeds.

That day was 54.6g fat, 327.9g carbs and 119.4g protein.

Avocados are always good. Is your dairy FULL FAT?