Binge Eating

Options
MDarker
MDarker Posts: 15 Member
I debated on posting this or not here, because.. well it's embarassing.

I have a binge eating problem, and i'm looking for help and support.

I think about food all the time, i think about when i can be alone next so i can eat "what i want", i hide food that i've eaten, and i can pretty much binge eat on anything.

I don't really binge eat on fast food. Its usually food i make at home and i just eat alot (or all) of it. I have had this problem for as long as i can remember, now at my highest weight yet i am looking for a solution.

I feel scared for admitting this, even to strangers. I just need some advice on how to get in control of myself again.

Replies

• Mommyof3loves
    Mommyof3loves Posts: 276
    Options
    Well there is nothing to be scared about here because no one judges here. The fact that you are admitting it and asking for help is a huge step and I admire you for having the courage to put it out there. I don't know much about binge eating, is there something that triggers it? Or is it all of the time?
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Hello!

We have a support group going with great people that are going through the exact thing you are. Feel free to drop in and leave a note. You're not alone! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/216083-support-for-binge-eating-disorder?page=13#posts-3301119
  • eliza7119
    eliza7119 Posts: 15
    Options
    i really wish i could tell you what to do . i have the same problem i eat alone throw away evidence. i am so embarresed. even to the point of saying i do not know why i am gaining wait i only eat a little.because nobody ever sees me eating ,so, what else can i say. i understand you 100 percent. lets keep in contact and try to support and help eachother!!!
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You have to start analyzing WHY you binge. Are you under the impression that it would make you feel better about a situation and if this is the case, is there anything else you could be doing to improve your mood?
  • avrba53
    avrba53 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Ive never told anyone about it because Im so embarrassed of it.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Oh I do that too! Well, I used to anyway. I could easily eat 4 or 5 cheese sandwiches in one sitting (when no one was looking, of course).

My triggers were usually feeling sad, or being bored, or just having bread and cheese in the house, really. It was like a compulsion, once I started I just couldn't stop until I felt physically SICK. It does help if you drink a LOT of water because it forces you to get fuller quicker, and then you really need to keep yourself busy or distracted. I don't do it nearly as much now as I used to, but I still do it.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I admire your courage and I think you should be very proud of yourself for making that first step, because it's the hardest one...
    There's a lot of information on binge eating here : http://www.helpguide.org/mental/binge_eating_disorder.htm
    But I for one think that the most effective way to cure yourself from this disease is to seek professional help. Your doctor, a therapist... It can be a long and difficult journey, but it will be all worthwhile in the end! Trust me!
    You can add me as a friend if you want to talk more about this in private...:-)
    Don't give up, you're in the right direction!!
  • MDarker
    Options
    Thank you guys for making this easier. It seems so silly to let something like food control you so much. I know i need to find the emotional answer to my binge eating, but i don't know where to start. I talked to a therapist.. well for as much as my benefits could get me covered, and i didn't find success. She thinks i binge eating because its how i succumb to the pressure i put on myself. In my job and my life, i am always the happy, funny person.. even when i'm not. As much as that makes sense, it doesn't help me STOP. I'm hoping i can meet some friends or support ppl with the same issue, that i can talk to on a regular basis who we can help support each other... I just don't want to be "alone" anymore in this.....

For those of you who have this issue, do you have any tips?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Yes! I totally do this. Weekends are the worst. I'll be "good" all week. Then if we go to a festival, go out of town etc I'll go crazy. Like if I give myself a free day, I won't just have the bad meal..I'll think "Well since I ate that bad meal" and I'll go crazy. My husband's cousin died in one of the tornadoes in Alabama and we went down for the funeral. Needless to say there was tons of food after the burial. Not only did I eat four brownies, cobbler, pound cake, bbq, and fried chicken...but when everyone went to bed I had three rolls, two pieces of fried chicken, and another brownie. Unnecessary. But in my mind I think, "Ok, Lucinda. This is your last chance. It's back to non-stop working out and eating low-calorie stuff when you get back, so go NUTS!" I don't need to do that. It's so unhealthy and gross.
  • MsSaturday
    MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know what your going through, I do that also to an extent, I never had left overs and if I did I'd keep picking at them till they were gone, If food did make it to the fridge after supper once I was asleep if I woke up b/c of a noise or nightmare I'd get up check the house and eat what ever was left which was/is almost nightly.

I had to start only preparing enough to have during that meal, stopped buying snacks and packaged foods and most of the time can't have anything in the house I can just eat, I have to cook everything and if I think on it hard enough I can usually talk myself out of it (due to being too lazy to cook).

On particularly stressful days I will sit down with a bag of popcorn, or watermelon or something else not too bad for me, Its better than the pot of pasta I used to run to. Food shouldn't comfort us but it happens, to more people than realize it. You'll get it under control, just keep trying, baby steps! Log everything and let your friends help keep you accountable :)
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I think for me it started when I was a kid - watching my skinny minny mom hide her snacking from my dad. The only junk food we ever had in the house was hidden away and eaten out of my dad's view. I have been snacking and hiding the evidence for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I feel like a shark on a feeding frenzy; I just go crazy eating whatever I have at home, not really craving anything in particular. The eating part is pretty fast but the guilt lasts a whole lot longer. Even when I'm eating, I'm already thinking of my next meal. All I think about is food, like it's some sort of addiction.

For me, it has really helped to write everything I eat on here. Then before I go on a binge, I tell myself "You are going to have to count every chip, every ounce, every bite. Do you really want everyone to see how badly you ate", and then I chug some water and grab some strong mint gum. Sometimes I even have to run out the door on a walk with the dogs just to get away from the food.
  • wendycheng
    wendycheng Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. There are ways that everyone deals with this issue. My personal solution was to stay busier. If I am not around food, I can't eat it. Surround yourself with other people because you will not binge eat in front of others. I will go to the library to study instead of studying at home so I am not around the fridge or go to someone else's house. I hope that helps!
  • bullgear
    bullgear Posts: 2
    Options
    I finally admitted to myself that I binge eat. I broke down in tears and embarrassment and still don't like telling others that is what I do. But I have found something that helps me. Aside from logging in everything on this site, I read an article in an online newspaper. I think it was off of MSNBC.com. They recommended a book: "How to Overcome Binge Eating." The article stated that a study was done at some big college. What is important is that all the participants read and followed the book's advice. They were all tracked after the study and 63% of them did not return to binge eating. So, I bought the book. Including shipping, it was a total of $9 used off of Amazon.com. It taught me the difference between overeating and binging. It also covers information on purging for those who do that. Just that information alone was useful. But the second half of the book lays out a plan to tackle your binging problems and allows you to be flexible with how much time it takes you to take back your life and not focus on food every minute of every day (like I have been). I'm on week two of the program and I have recognized when I am most likely to binge and I have a plan in place for me to avoid doing it when I am stressed the most or just because food is available.

I binge, like many people, when I am by myself. So, when I am by myself and food is available, I have several options, written down in my pocket, every day, to help me remember I don't have to eat excessively. I can make myself go on a walk. I can take a shower, I can vacuum and dust and keep doing that while I chew gum until the urge passes. I can go window shopping or write a really pissed off letter to myself about whatever it is that is stressing me out. I can call a friend or go visit one, if the timing for them is right... The list goes on. It is really hard to cook for an entire family that does not have binging problems. I find that choosing the small plate size and leaving the kitchen and then staying out of the kitchen is the hardest thing to do. But going on that walk helps and then I can be proud of myself. And I make sure I eat small amounts every 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

What I like about the book is that it doesn't operate in extremes. The plan is realistic and makes common sense. It tackles behavior issues and helps people become self aware. There is no calorie counting at first. Not everyone who binge eats is overweight, but if you are overweight, the first thing you have to do is control the binging. After that is tackled, then you can worry about the weight and calorie counting. Apparently, the average person takes about 12 weeks to change the binging behavior, but once it's done, many people have that behavior changed for the rest of their lives.

Good luck with your effort to change. I know it takes a lot of guts to admit to others (and yourself) the things we do in private. I hope you find the additional stregnth to do something about it. I'm still struggling myself, but I'm proud to make progress, and I have! You can too!
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    I used to binge eat allllllllllllll the time! I would eat everything I could possibly get my hands on and I would hide it from everyone. I don't know why! But I would always binge on anything sugary and I would keep eating until it was gone.
    I still have crazy sugar cravings, but I deal with them by eating a protein bar per day and focusing on exercise. I also have made a visualization board, so that I never forget what my goal weight and body will look like. I also keep reminding myself of my health, which is very important to me. I don't want to ever be so full that I can barely breathe! It's horrible.
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Yes! I totally do this. Weekends are the worst. I'll be "good" all week. Then if we go to a festival, go out of town etc I'll go crazy. Like if I give myself a free day, I won't just have the bad meal..I'll think "Well since I ate that bad meal" and I'll go crazy. My husband's cousin died in one of the tornadoes in Alabama and we went down for the funeral. Needless to say there was tons of food after the burial. Not only did I eat four brownies, cobbler, pound cake, bbq, and fried chicken...but when everyone went to bed I had three rolls, two pieces of fried chicken, and another brownie. Unnecessary. But in my mind I think, "Ok, Lucinda. This is your last chance. It's back to non-stop working out and eating low-calorie stuff when you get back, so go NUTS!" I don't need to do that. It's so unhealthy and gross.

This sounds EXACTLY what my wife and I do on occasion. Thankfully, since I became active here on MFP, it hasn't happened yet. Although we have a 4 day vacation planned in June. :indifferent:
  • mental_release
    Options
    From what you're describing, I don't binge eat and I'm by no means an expert. But here is my experience. At the end of the evening, I use to find myself going into the kitchen and eating...and eating...and eating. When I'd go out, I'd always order more than I needed/wanted, and *forced* myself to finish. It took a long time for me to face the truth...I was proving to people *I can do what I want*!!

You see I lived in my parents' shadow for a long time. They never ate out, they never let me eat what I wanted or how much. I always had to eat what was put in front of me and when it was put in front of me. "Treats" in the house were scarce and when we did have them, we could never have a "normal" amount..always "a taste".

By the time I was driving on my own to and from school, and even into my marriage, I have their voice in my head. Lox is a favorite of mine. When I first bought Lox while on my own, I finished the package in one sitting. It took me a while to realize, I LIVED ALONE...no one was going to take it from me. When I got married, I started again until I got it through my head...my wife *hates* Lox.

I started losing weight a short time ago (couple of weeks). For other reasons, I "removed myself" from my parents and extended family. Surprisingly, since then, I've had a much easier time losing weight. I can eat what I want, when I want. I pass on the sweets not because my mother is telling me, 'No! You may not have that!', but because *I CHOOSE* to pass them up.

Please understand, I'm not saying cut yourself off from your loved ones. What I am saying is, are YOU choosing to binge eat, or is something/someone else choosing for you? For me, my parents were still making my decisions and I was rebelling, proving I can do what I want. But there is a big difference between "doing what you want" and "making your own decisions".

I wish you only and all the best!

--MR
  • MDarker
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for telling me your stories. I feel a huge relief knowing i am not alone, and for finally admitting to not only all of you, but to myself. Thank you bullgear for those tips, i am going to look for that book!

mental_release, i think i can relate to what your saying, and i think it may even play a part in why i do go overboard.

Keep sharing your stories and tips. I find this so helpful and encouraging.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    I used to binge all the time too...It was a combination of things but I would mostly due it me being stressed, emotional, sad, etc. And food, in that moment, comforted me and didn't make me feel as "empty" I guess you could say? I'm sure you've heard this but experts say that an emotional trigger usually trigger's binge eating. I've fortunately haven't done that in a while but there are moments of stress when my old thoughts creep back in and tempt me with old habits...I try to recognize what I'm feeling and why I'm feeling it and move forward...

It will be okay! Feel your emotions, cry, be mad, etc. See a therapist if you can, there is NO shame in that!!

Feel free to add me or message me...

You CAN get through this!! God bless