I'm so discouraged :/

Options
I just want to share that yesterday was a REALLY bad day for me. I felt terrible and all i wanted to eat was junk food. My husband kept talking about Mexican and Chinese and so thats what he got for supper, Mexican. I stayed to my Chicken and Vegetables. But its been so easy to eat healthy up until yesterday and then looking at the scale today I've gained 2 lbs and I've worked so hard! :( I feel like giving up but I've done so well. The scale has gone down from week to week until today. I just feel really cruddy.

Replies

• Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hey It's Not Easy, That's For Sure. But You're Trying And That's A Great Start! Don't Quit, We All Have Bad Days. Just Get Back To It And Stay Strong :)
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I know that you know that weight loss isn't linear, that weight loss fluctuates, that some days are easier than others, etc, etc, etc.
    I think that since the knowledge is there, you just focus on attitude for today. One day at a time. I will happily help cheer you on or offer support where I can. I believe in you...will you?zlhj9xosqm3c.jpg
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You got this, we all go through this!! :) Just keep going, the time is going to pass anyways so might as well keep trying. :) I was in a weight loss plateau for 6 months, I still just kept at it (oh I had my *kitten* food days) and then I started incorporating running. Sometimes you just need to shake it up and brush yourself off.
  • PHStevenson
    PHStevenson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Its just so sucky when I try so hard! and I guess the first 25 lbs just came off so fast and to see the scale go up sucks! I appreciate all the support!!! :)
  • corryigo
    corryigo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you are discouraged about 2 lbs and want to quit, what do you think that number will climb to if you do quit?
    We all have bad days and poor choices! You are more than strong enough to get past this and come out stronger than before as well as healthier!
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I understand scale fluctuations aren't fun, but also remember that if you eat out, or consume more salty food, then your body will likely hold onto water for a few days. That 2 lbs is likely just that... water. It will be gone in a few days, and you will be back to losing. :)
  • niajones95
    niajones95 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Heaven help you when you hit a plateau! It's fine to go up every once and a while :) And it was from yesterday, I can assure you that if you eat clean today then you will be back down again tomorrow! :)
  • PHStevenson
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lots of sodium = water weight gain. Completely normal.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh, I empathize with your feelings. I've been there. But keep in mind that it's literally not possible to gain 2 pounds of fat in one day unless you ate over your maintenance calories (not your MFP goal) by 7000 calories. It doesn't sound like you did that so it has to be water retention. The closer you get to your goal weight, the more your weight is going to fluctuate from day to day and week to week. It's a really good idea that you attempt to internalize this now or you're in for an emotional roller coaster every time you step on the scale. The scale is a very volatile measure of progress. Be sure you're also measuring yourself because sometimes when the scale is going up or staying the same we're still losing inches.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So did you actually eat an extra 7000 calories worth of food? You do realise its just a fluctuation.
    When you look at whats happened and why, then compare that with how you have decided to feel, it doesnt make sense and you are stressing yourself out over very little.

• WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it feels that even thinking about naughty food makes me put on weight... I know how you feel. But keep with it xx
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I just want to share that yesterday was a REALLY bad day for me. I felt terrible and all i wanted to eat was junk food. My husband kept talking about Mexican and Chinese and so thats what he got for supper, Mexican. I stayed to my Chicken and Vegetables. But its been so easy to eat healthy up until yesterday and then looking at the scale today I've gained 2 lbs and I've worked so hard! :( I feel like giving up but I've done so well. The scale has gone down from week to week until today. I just feel really cruddy.

Weight can go up and down depending on what you eat.. If you have a lot of Salt and if you have a lot of Carbs Both of which can hold on to water
  • RachelsFight
    RachelsFight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stay strong mama :) don't beat yourself up!! If you eat right today and get in a little exercise don't be surprised if you are down those two pounds and then some :) it sounds like its just water weight! Just don't let this spiral out of control! You have recognized that it was wrong worst thing you can do is beat yourself up about it! Pick yourself up and learn from this :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Cchioles wrote: »
    Hey It's Not Easy, That's For Sure. But You're Trying And That's A Great Start! Don't Quit, We All Have Bad Days. Just Get Back To It And Stay Strong :)
    Wonders if you manually capitalize every word.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    make sure you drink a lot of water today and I bet you are back down by tomorrow. that happens to me too.
  • PHStevenson
    Options
    You guys are so right! And no, I did not eat over 7000 calories yesterday. I had maybe 1700. But thank you guys so much for the support!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Lots of sodium = water weight gain. Completely normal.
    especially in Mexican and Chinese it seems. in my limited experience.

also, don't feel bad. it happens. the scale goes up and down. just keep working on it and you will be fine
  • Teamhynes
    Teamhynes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can gain 2 lbs just by opening my eyes I swear. Lots of variations in our diets and our bodies can cause some small gains even when we're doing things right. Just keep doing what you've been doing and ride it out!
  • Rudenurse88
    Rudenurse88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this feeling. Don't give up. My nutritionist has me on calorie restriction and it gets tough. Yesterday I ate Two slices of pizza! But we've got this. Im aticking to this. Going to the gym in a few.