"Sneaking" in veggies

Options
mldoiron1
mldoiron1 Posts: 16
I'm definitely not a veggie lover but am looking to try to eat more. This morning I put broccoli and carrots and onions into my omelette and it tasted a million times better! Does anyone have recipes where they sneak in some veggies?

Replies

• avrba53
    avrba53 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im a horrible cook so no recipes but I try to eat a spinach salad loaded with carrots, cucumbers, green veggies, or whatever else i can throw in for at least once meal then ill have a cup of v8 juice with dinner. spicy v8 juice is amazinggg
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I used jarred pasta sauce and throw in some onion, olive, celery, carrots, and artichoke hearts. Super yummy!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i work with kids, and we do a lot of cooking. i "hide" a lot of the veggies by using a food processor or cheese grater. you can hide ANYTHING in meatloaf or burger patties :)

and have you tried V-8? i LOVE it!!
  • mldoiron1
    Options
    I've never tried V-8 but i definitely should!

Thanks for all the help everyone =) much appreciated
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in the mechanic's waiting room and ripped this out of Redbook.

Purple Puree:
    6 cups raw baby spinach
    3 cups fresh or frozen (slightly thawed) blueberries
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    Puree all ingredients with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Add 1-2 additional tablespoons water for smoother consistency if needed. Use this puree to: (1) substitute for half of the oil in brownies (2) add 1/2 cup per pound of taco meat (3) add 1/4 cup per pound of meat for burgers

Green Puree:
    2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
    2 cups raw baby spinach
    1 cup frozen sweet peas
    Steam broccoli and spinach approximately 10 minutes, or until very tender. Add peas for last 2 minutes. Drain. Puree all ingredients with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Use this puree to: (1) substitute for 1/3 of the avocado in guacamole (2) substitute for 1/3 of the sauce in lasagna (3) add 1/2 cup per batch of chili

Orange Puree:
    1 peeled and chopped sweet potato
    3 large peeled and chopped carrots
    Cover potato and carrots with water bring to a boil for 20 minutes, or until very tender. Drain. Puree all ingredients with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Use this puree to: (1) substitute for 1/2 of the oil/butter in banana bread (2) add up to 1/4 cup to a box of prepared macaroni and cheese

White Puree:
    2) 15-ounce cans of white beans (great northern, navy or cannellini)
    Rinse and drain beans. Puree with 2 tablespoons water until it resembles peanut butter. Add 1 teaspoon water to thin, if necessary. Use this puree to: (1) substitute for 1/2 of the butter in coffee cake, muffins, chocolate chip, oatmeal or sugar cookies

All purees can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 3 months.
  • dlattos
    dlattos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love the Purees! Thanks for posting. :happy:
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in the mechanic's waiting room and ripped this out of Redbook.

Purple Puree:
    6 cups raw baby spinach
    3 cups fresh or frozen (slightly thawed) blueberries
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    Puree all ingredients with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Add 1-2 additional tablespoons water for smoother consistency if needed. Use this puree to: (1) substitute for half of the oil in brownies (2) add 1/2 cup per pound of taco meat (3) add 1/4 cup per pound of meat for burgers

Green Puree:
    2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
    2 cups raw baby spinach
    1 cup frozen sweet peas
    Steam broccoli and spinach approximately 10 minutes, or until very tender. Add peas for last 2 minutes. Drain. Puree all ingredients with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Use this puree to: (1) substitute for 1/3 of the avocado in guacamole (2) substitute for 1/3 of the sauce in lasagna (3) add 1/2 cup per batch of chili

Orange Puree:
    1 peeled and chopped sweet potato
    3 large peeled and chopped carrots
    Cover potato and carrots with water bring to a boil for 20 minutes, or until very tender. Drain. Puree all ingredients with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Use this puree to: (1) substitute for 1/2 of the oil/butter in banana bread (2) add up to 1/4 cup to a box of prepared macaroni and cheese

White Puree:
    2) 15-ounce cans of white beans (great northern, navy or cannellini)
    Rinse and drain beans. Puree with 2 tablespoons water until it resembles peanut butter. Add 1 teaspoon water to thin, if necessary. Use this puree to: (1) substitute for 1/2 of the butter in coffee cake, muffins, chocolate chip, oatmeal or sugar cookies

All purees can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 3 months.

What great ideas! Thanks ^_^
  • mldoiron1
    Options
    Love the Purees! Thanks for posting. :happy:

AGREED! such a great idea!
  • ksuhre
    ksuhre Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everytime I make a smoothie (which is almost every day) I always add in at least a cup or two of spinach...when blended, you wouldn't believe that there is a veggie in there!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Love the purees!!!!
  • rcallbeck
    rcallbeck Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs with spinach. super yummy.
  • bigmomma84
    bigmomma84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    if you love the puree idea, there are a few cook books out all about them. Jessica Seinfeld has two: Deceptively Delicious, and Double Delicious. she worked with a nutritionist and dietition to make at least the first one. she wanted to make delicious recipes that her picky kids and husband would love. i have made almost all of the recipes in her first cook book, and they are great!!!!
  • mldoiron1
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys! You're the best!
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump

Great Ideas! Thank you!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I put mashed sweet potatoes, cauliflower and butternut squash in white sauce to make lasagne and macaroni cheese for the children. I also hide lentils in the tomato sauce.

Pink pancakes, with beet puree, or green ones with spinach. I also add spinach to pesto so it still looks like normal pesto but a bit healthier.

I make chocolate sauce with mashed avocado, melted chocolate, squash puree and a bit of butter. The children dip fruit in it, and have no idea it's not just melted chocolate.

My oldest son hates vegetables, so I have got really good at hiding them. I also have a load of hidden vegetable muffin recipes.
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Grated carrots like to hide out in my meatloaf recipe. Also grate them in chili and by the time it simmers for a couple of hours the carrots are not longer visible. I use my mini food processor and get them just as small as possible.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said...I put veggies in chili, spaghetti sauce/lasagna, meatloaf, scrambled eggs/omlets, stir-frys, etc. You could also try using FF refried beans in recipes, too - it mixes in pretty well!
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for low fat quiche which is a great veggie hider. Instead of heavy pastry, line a 8" baking tin with about 6-8 pieces of filo pastry and fill it with anything you want. I normally use softened onions, tomatoes, broccoli and a bit of ham - the ham makes it seem like pizza to me! Then just beat a couple of eggs, pour it over the top and add some finely grated cheese. Because it's so full of veggies, there's only about 250-300 calories per piece, it's super filling and goes really well with a lightly dressed salad. Plus you can put aaaanything you want in it so it doesn't get too boring. :)
  • monky13grl
    monky13grl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I "trick" my fiance into eating veggies by making a lot of "fried rices" or stirfrys. By fried rice, I mean that there is brown rice, low sodium soy sauce, lean chicken/pork, and baked veggies all together. I will usually top it off with some parmesean cheese to make him happy. (I use balsamic vinager instead of soy sauce, but he hates it). Same thing with stirfrys, just without the rice. If he wants the meat and cheese, the veggies go with it :)