Boston/Cape Cod restaurant recommendations?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
We'll be there for a few days in 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendation of places to eat?

For Boston we're going to do the Freedom trail, probably the kids museum and the aquarium and the duck tours (maybe the science museum), so something around there would be great... For Cape Cod we'll be in Falmouth and might go to Martha's Vineyard for a day.

I've never been there and I'm totally clueless. Any kind of food works, kid friendly is a plus though.

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    There's a killer Cambodian place on the way to Falmouth called Stir Crazy. I know it's not your traditional New England fare, but I dream about that place...

As for Boston, the world is your oyster. The last yummy meal I had there was at Genki Ya in Brookline (Asian food is easy on the digestion!) and FoMu in Brighton for dairy-free ice cream. Yelp is your friend, too. We tend to choose where to eat based on Yelp and available coupons!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Bump pretty please?

And yes I always check Yelp! but there's always very old reviews so it's not always that useful.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    We were just there last summer, but I can't remember specific places. I know we took a walk in the North end and ate at one of the Italian restaurants there. We also did a couple of meals in Quincy Market, which was a little overwhelming for me at first because of the crowds. But they have a bunch of different types of food in there, including really good smoothies my kids loved (ages 12 and 15). Seating is sometimes an issue.

We also enjoyed The Belle in Hand and The Olde Oyster House. We didn't go to Cape Cod, though, so no help there.

We had a really good time, so I am excited for you! I know this doesn't help much, but I thought I would bump :). Hopefully someone who really knows the area will come in with great ideas. We were just tourists. Have fun.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Thanks! We're staying in Cambridge actually, so if we need something there I'll check the Full Moon. And the Flour Bakery looks great!
  • Teamhynes
    Teamhynes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Casual food - Sam LaGrassa's for sandwiches. If it's a nice day, take the food to the park. Summer Shack (Boston & Cambridge). Picco on Tremont. Sam LaGrassa's is great for salads and sandwiches - take food out to the park. Summer Shack, Picco, Sal's Pizza, Giacomo's (North End). Recommendations I gave you are OK for younger kids who are loud and messy like mine. Take in/take out. I'm a big fan of taking stuff to the park so the kids can run while my hubs and I finish eating and get a few minutes to relax if the weather's nice (like go to the Commons for lunch and the do the swan boats). Have a nice visit!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Save up some calories and don't leave without hitting up at least one of the bakeries in the north end.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    How are you getting to the Cape from Boston? If you're driving, you'll want to avoid Friday afternoon and early evening like the plague.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'd get a bowl of clam chowder at every joint I could.

Rigger
  • kshama2001
    Options
    If you're stopping in Plymouth along the way, the clam chowder here is very well regarded: http://www.cabbyshack.com

(I don't eat clams, so have no personal experience with it.)
  • Francl27
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How are you getting to the Cape from Boston? If you're driving, you'll want to avoid Friday afternoon and early evening like the plague.

We'll actually be driving down from Maine when we get to the Cape. It's a 5 hour drive from there so I guess we'll get there after lunch or something.

We're stopping at Plymouth to see the plantations too, but I don't like clams!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Oh, my nephews love the Plantation and my mom gets them birthday presents there a lot!
  • runner1234b
    runner1234b Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cambridge is perfect. Go to The FriendlyToast.. 100% kid friendly for breakfast!! Go early...it's amazing and it gets crowded.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Cambridge is perfect. Go to The FriendlyToast.. 100% kid friendly for breakfast!! Go early...it's amazing and it gets crowded.

Well our hotel has free breakfast so we probably won't go out for breakfast... which is a good thing I guess as it saves calories for later, as it's never great enough to waste a lot of calories on, lol.
  • 79dawn
    79dawn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In Boston I really enjoyed Jacob Wirth. It's German food and big beer selection. Excellent Italian on the north end