Period issue

Options
alizeepa
alizeepa Posts: 16 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hey guys so I've posted about this a few weeks ago but I have one more question.
Since Easter (which was almost 3 months ago) I've embarked on a diet and fitness journey. I have lost 10 kilos (that's 1.5 stone or 20 pounds) and have toned up, going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, I also walk a lot. I was not overweight to start with in terms of bmi and I'm currently still in the "normal weight" range (I'm 9.6 stone/61 kilos) for 5"7 (1m73).
I no longer want to lose weight at this point but I just want to keep toning up and maintain my current weight however I'm still losing weight each week as I exercise so much and only eat around 2,000 cals a day (sometimes less).
I have missed my period this month, I am not pregnant and I've spoken to my doctor and it's pretty clear its to do with my change of weight and lifestyle. My question is this...will my period come back once my body has adjusted to these changes and new lower body weight or do I need to actively reduce exercise and up my calorie intake? Also, can I get pregnant even if my period is missing/delayed/stopped?!
Thank you x

Replies

• alizeepa
    alizeepa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First, congrats. Second, were you eating more or exercising less around the time it came back? Were you exercising a lot in the first place?
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone but without losing weight, you really should probably go to maintenance calories. While you aren't getting your period regularly it is much less likely -- although not impossible -- to get pregnant.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat more food?
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've heard lost period more often results from heavy exercise than weight loss. If you are wanting to get pregnant you may need to cut back on exercising but I would think eventually your body may get used to it.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    In my mid-20's, I lost a lot of weight by diet and exercise (heavy on the exercise). My period stopped for about 9 months (not due to pregnancy). It did return to a normal cycle after that and did not affect getting pregnant 5 years later.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    alizeepa wrote: »
    ... Also, can I get pregnant even if my period is missing/delayed/stopped?!
    Thank you x

Yes, as soon as you start ovulating again you can get pregnant.