Why am I still hungry?

Options
Hi everyone! I joined MFP 3 days ago & I've been tracking my calories, water & exercise. During the day I feel great I make sure I eat/snack every couple of hours & I make sure I eat ALL of my calories Only problem is I wake up in the middle of the night with massive hunger pains. I don't get it.. any suggestions?

Replies

• GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. I down a huge workout bottle of water right before I go to bed and that seems to help me. Of course, I have to get up to pee 4 times before I finally fall asleep!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Didn't look over your diary but as a general suggestion:
    Make sure you are getting enough protein and fiber,this will help you feel fuller longer.
  • hillygrace
    hillygrace Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree with the comments so far. I'm eating a lot of fiber and protein, but I also just bought a big 32 oz reusable water bottle that I fill with watered down green tea and I have two bottles a day. It keeps me from eating too much during the day, and keeps me feeling full until 6-7 AM the next morning. Best body hack ever!
  • wendycheng
    wendycheng Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Make sure not to eat in the middle of the night. If you always satisfy that hunger at that time, your body will get into the habit.
  • a_dawn
    a_dawn Posts: 47
    Options
    I find myself wanting something to eat late at night and find that if I drink a cup of warm green tea, it really helps. I don't know if it's cuz it's warm or what. Of course, if you do drink this in the middle of the night, you'd probably want to make sure its decaffeinated. :)
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Definitely make sure you're going for high protein/complex HEALTHY carbs - protein helps you feel full longer, and lean protein such as tuna, chicken, etc has relatively low cals, which helps you stay in your range. :)
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have been having issues with being super hungry too, I think our stomachs just need time to adjust to eating less then what we are used to. I have been drinking a lot of water, it helps some.
  • Sta83cy
    Sta83cy Posts: 14
    Options
    eat an apple right before bed, they have a ton of fiber and will help tide you over through the night.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    since your diary is not public, there is no way for us to tell you based on your food choices. My guess is you should eat more complex carbs, cut out all refined sugar and processed foods. More fiber and lots of water.

Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • Keri_girl
    Keri_girl Posts: 44
    Options
    Make sure not to eat in the middle of the night. If you always satisfy that hunger at that time, your body will get into the habit.

This is a habit that I am trying to break! For the longest time I would wake up in the middle of the night, not hungry exactly, but the only thing that seemed to put me back to sleep was peanut butter (just a spoonful was enough.) Yes I tried water, milk, and even trying to just go back to sleep on my own but none of that worked. So this is a cycle that I got myself into and now I have to break that.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Your body is doing something NEW, it's going on a diet and it's not used to lower calorie intake.

This is where determination comes in, do you want to lose weight? Then if you do your going to have to work through it. Don't give into temptation.

If you can't stand it, eat some crushed ice! That's what I did.
  • love2spin
    love2spin Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm determined to make this work & appreciate all of your suggestions :happy:
  • Kstephens19
    Kstephens19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to have a protein shake around 830-9. I was having the same problem and this has helped me! I have one that is 140 cals with 24 grams of the harder to digest protein. Sometimes will mix it with ice and 1 cup skim for extra staying power!
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    According to a study by Harvard, 70% of night cravings are actually due to dehydration. Your body will send you very similar signals when you are hungry as when you are thirsty.