Im such a fussy eater!

Options
Hi all :)
I'm finding it so hard to find a diet plan.
I'm such a fussy eater, all these dishes look so nice and healthy and I'm over here like "Oh its chicken and rice again for tea!" Does anyone know of any wonderfully low calorie meals which I wont want to dissect?
Soph x x

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    What can't/won't you eat?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What do you eat?

And are you ready to expand your dieatary pallette?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    well, there are other meats. I also usually eat a vegetable rather than a starch

I hear you on a picky eater. that is/was me.

I also find that spices can make a huge difference. very big
  • sophielou01
    sophielou01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not a spice lover in the slightest.
    I do eat Pork and will occasionally eat Beef.
    Its just what to have with it that i struggle with.
    I like a lot of fruit so my snacking is no longer an issue as I can cut the bad stuff out.
    Are there any veggies that don't really taste of much?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    If you like fruit .. do you like salads?
  • sophielou01
    Options
    Id a salad can be just Cucumber and Lettuce then yes.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of fruit so my snacking is no longer an issue as I can cut the bad stuff out.

Eggplant and zucchini don't have strong flavors. If you like mind onion, I stir fry these together to bulk up my meat dishes. I love basil so I add that.

You don't have to expand your diet all at once, either. Not that I'm a picky eater, but I certainly did not like vegetables as much before I started using MFP. I thought salads were boring, but I have found over the last six months that I've slowly increased the vegetables I enjoy eating. Just keep trying different things until you find a few thingst that you enjoy eating. It's worth it!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »

Eggplant and zucchini don't have strong flavors. If you like mind onion, I stir fry these together to bulk up my meat dishes. I love basil so I add that.

You don't have to expand your diet all at once, either. Not that I'm a picky eater, but I certainly did not like vegetables as much before I started using MFP. I thought salads were boring, but I have found over the last six months that I've slowly increased the vegetables I enjoy eating. Just keep trying different things until you find a few thingst that you enjoy eating. It's worth it!

Lol. There's no such thing as a "mind onion". I meant to say if you like or don't mind onion!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have found that the cleaner I eat the more flavorful foods like veggies become. I have also started eating more raw veggies vs. cooked. I'm not sure if you like that. Just start small... add one or two new items and get used to them, develop a taste for them. I tend to incorporate eggs into a lot of meals/snacks. Great protein and light taste if you just use the egg whites. I am not a picky eater but find that less is more and keeping things very simple focusing on my macro's makes life easier. I don't get bored with my food choices.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There were a lot of foods I dispised when I started. Oatmeal, kale, turnip, rice, cilantro, quinoa, chicken come to mind. There were foods that I knew I liked. Spinach, salmon, carrots, eggs, sweet potatoes. Also pizza, ice cream and cake, but they got me into this situation.

Then I remembered how when my brother was a baby, he refused to eat pretty much everything, so my mom would hide mashed up fruit in his cereal. She started with really small amounts and as he built a tolerance, increased the amounts until he was eating things besides baby ceral.

So I embarked on an experiment to do essentially the same thing to me. I started hiding kale in my spinach salad. With oatmeal, I found I didn't completely hate the packets of brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal, so I started with that and then started cutting it with plain oatmeal. Rice and quinoa I cooked in curry powder, and chicken I hid in stir frys with tons of veggies I loved.

I tried lentils and discovered I love them. I tried steaming artichokes and discovered I didn't like them. I tried random vegetables and fruits from the grocery store and experimented with different ways of preparing them until I found a rag-tag group of healthy foods that were tasty, cost effective, versatile and easy to prepare. They are foods I cook regularly.

I still think turnip and cilantro are nasty. I will probably never be excited to eat oatmeal, but I tolerate it with a ton of cinnamon because it's quick and easy for me to make and eat. You do not have to like everything. Some things you'll build a taste for over time. You'll learn what works for you.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yes, listing a bunch of food so a fussy eater can say "I don't like that" should end well.
  • earias04
    earias04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pork or beef with your salad before? I've found that having a nice salad (which i'm discovering that in my work cafeteria i really dont like the taste of their grape tomatoes or cucumbers anymore, which i did at first), with a protein that i enjoy, and no dressing, is a really well balanced meal, and doesnt derail my macro-nutrients.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower, corn, spaghetti squash, peas, white beans, and chick peas are very healthy and don't have a strong flavor. Pasta with shrimp, peas, lemon, garlic and butter would be a good easy option, (sub the shrimp for chicken if seafood is yucky to you). It is so important to get dark leafy greens into your diet so if you do make a salad, throw some baby spinach in with your lettuce, you wont even notice it!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have 2 pounds to lose. Eat what you normally do only less.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You have 2 pounds to lose. Eat what you normally do only less.

LOL

totally missed that

Lis is right
  • sophielou01
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'm definitely going to try disguise things with flavours I like!

And thank you also to the unhelpful idiot who thought he'd join in.
  • sophielou01
    Options
    I want to lose more than 2lbs! I want to lose 1st.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally eat but in appropriate portions for your calorie goal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if youre as picky as you say you are, then only YOU can think of other things you'd eat.

I'm not sure what anyone here can do for you? You're an adult. You select, buy and cook your meals (I'm assuming so, anyways). Buy different stuff and try it. try different foods in restaurants. Look at recipes on pinterest. Look at food diaries here. Take a cooking class.
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ^ Yep. Sorry, OP, not to sound mean but whenever I hear 'picky eater' I just tend to think - what are you, 12?! lol Some behaviours can be grown out of. We all have foods we don't like, but to have such a restrictive diet is harming only you. Try new things, build up a tolerance and soon you will find yourself enjoying them. Not everything, but a lot of things.