Healthy Freezer Meals

Options
tabby_123
tabby_123 Posts: 80 Member
Hello everyone!

I'm on a search for some healthy and tasty freezer meals (as in the type that I prepare from fresh ingredients, package, and freeze to reheat for later). I've looked online for some freezer meals, but most of them don't seem very healthy or are soups, which I'm not too fond of carrying for dinners (most of my dinners are away from home). I'm a law student, and unfortunately, my schedule does not allow me to cook regularly. Last year, I often fell into the trap of grabbing fast food as it was convenient and cheap. Hence, I'd like to meal prep and make enough dinners to last a couple of months. Does anyone have any healthy freezer meals they would like to share?

Thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• Pradeep851
    Pradeep851 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to get whatever you want so as long as you're paying attention to the ingredients within the frozen foods u r getting. Go for foods that specifically state, "organic" because it'll have a short list of the things that are not included within that food which u don't want in your body, I.e. no preseratives, etc. Other than this, I can't think of any foods in the frozen sections that are good in particular...cooking is best but you do what u can.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've just started making extras of my regular meals and freezing them. I currently have chicken enchiladas, chili, chicken taco soup, enchiladas verdes, chicken and dumplings, loose meat "cheeseburgers" with buns, tikka sauce, and black beans frozen. I usually use one or two of these a week for lunches, maybe more if it's a really busy week.

One thing I really like to do is cook up a very big batch of chicken on Sunday. I just buy the Sam's club 5-7 pound pack of boneless skinless chicken breast, season with garlic and onion powder and salt and cook at 425 until it's just done. Then, I use this during the week to make salads, pita sandwiches, wraps, quesadillas, whatever I'm craving. Last night I made a big batch of tikka sauce and tossed some chicken with that and served with some steam fresh brown rice and pita bread and some steamed veggies. I don't tend to freeze already cooked chicken because I don't love the way it comes out if I'm eating it plain, but if I have some left by Friday, I will use it to make a crockpot soup or chili recipe, or even quesadillas. I love tossing chicken w/ sauteed onions, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder & oregano and then fill a tortilla with the mixture and some cheese. I freeze them uncooked, then microwave them for about a minute or two until the cheese is melty, then toss in a hot skillet to crisp them up. If you are okay with eating soft quesadillas, you could cook them prior to freezing and then just re-heat when you are ready to eat.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You could take ideas from the Lean Cuisine section of the store. Their meals have no preservatives, so they should give you a clue as to what freezes well :smile: I know from experience that pretty much any kind of pasta dish will freeze well, also stir-fries, but the veggies aren't crisp when you rewarm. Quiches freeze beautifully, and you can make them really healthy with veggies and not too much cheese.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Left overs- but I find the only thing that freezes well in my freezer is chicken and beans- turkey and steak tend to not taste right.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Pradeep851 wrote: »
    My advice would be to get whatever you want so as long as you're paying attention to the ingredients within the frozen foods u r getting. Go for foods that specifically state, "organic" because it'll have a short list of the things that are not included within that food which u don't want in your body, I.e. no preseratives, etc. Other than this, I can't think of any foods in the frozen sections that are good in particular...cooking is best but you do what u can.

Did you read her post? She said she wanted meal suggestions that she said she would cook herself but that could be taken with her on the go. Not looking for frozen meals, not that there is anything wrong with those if you like them, I eat frozen meals maybe once a week at work when I don't have time to pack something or don't have leftovers at home. I also keep a couple of skillet meals in my freezer, there are lots of different options for those now (pastas, stir fry, etc), which usually serve two people and sometimes I will make one for myself in the evening and take those leftovers for lunch the next day.

OP you said specifically you didn't think the recipes you found were "healthy", I guess I would need more information on what your definition of "healthy" is that the recipes you found didn't meet. I find most any casserole, pasta, soup, etc to freeze and reheat pretty well. If you are looking for grab and go food, you could make some calzones ahead of time with veggies, meat, cheese and pop those in the microwave; or a lot of people make egg muffins or egg casserole and then use those throughout the week too.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1053150/freezer-meals
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1054240/burritos-to-stash-in-your-freezer

I did a MFP search under "frozen Meals" you can see what appeals to you on the threads....there's 100 pages of threads... so I don't have much time to help at the moment. I posted a couple of links I found quickly might get you started. There have been some really great threads on this topic. Crockpot to Freezer is another way many of us do it as well. Many of the www.skinnytaste.com will freeze well.
  • ano463s
    ano463s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that the easiest way is just to freeze what you'd normally eat, in the portion size you'd prefer to eat (and label it preferably so you can easily log it). Most things do well in the freezer as long as they're not hot when you box them up and your containers are safe for the freezer. i generally take the items out and defrost them in the fridge overnight or so to allow it to cook more evenly in the microwave when I do get around to eating it. I don't freeze veggies I want to eat uncooked, but other than that, most things do fine. Another good suggestion someone made was just making several meals on your best free day (Sunday for many) and then keeping them in the fridge for the week if you don't think they'll need to be there too long. Many people do a mixture... Make some single serve portions of things that they stick in the freezer, then also make several mason jar salads to last throughout the week. Then everything is made in advance, but you still get the veggies, etc and don't need to bank on huge portions of lasagna or whatever your go-to fun but high calorie meal is.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    If you have a Crock Pot (slow cooker), make a batch of shredded chicken when it's convenient. Some ideas:

*Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, taco seasoning, salsa - use it for tacos, enchiladas, tortilla soup, etc.
    *Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, dry Italian dressing and extra spices

It also works with those packets of dry ranch dressing. Then just be creative with how you use the chicken.

In regards to making freezer meals, I've only made those with raw meat, so I don't think that would work too well if you're eating on the go. I've experienced that pre-cooked potatoes do NOT freeze well and end up tasting bad.

Just make sure that you get containers that can go from the freezer to the microwave, too. I'd love to know if you get any good suggestions because I need to start doing this, too.
  • tabby_123
    tabby_123 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! Everyone had some great ideas. I believe I will start with turkey chili and shredded taco chicken. Thank you again for the much needed inspiration!
  • loribenson15
    loribenson15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tabby_123 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your replies! Everyone had some great ideas. I believe I will start with turkey chili and shredded taco chicken. Thank you again for the much needed inspiration!