Activity tracker with smart watch capabilities?

Options
I'm looking for a watch that can do both activity tracking and has smartwatch capabilities. I would prefer that it has a HR monitor on it as well. I really like the fitbit surge, but it is kinda bulky and ugly, plus I don't like that the display isn't in color. I have a note 4, and I really like the gear fit, but I hate it doesn't input into MFP. Sleep tracking isn't super important to me, but HR is (because it is more accurate at calorie burn.) It doesn't have to have a lot of workout modes (like lifting or whatever,) because I mostly do in home workouts, the elliptical or horseback riding. I would really like to be able to read my texts and notifications on the tracker. Any suggestions?

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I also want something like this. What I have done is I wear both a Pebble (original) and a Fitbit Charge HR on my left arm. I have the Charge HR further up my arm since in the instructions they tell you to wear it further up your arm anyway, the Pebble keeps it from sliding out of place. Looks kinda dumb but oh well.

If the moto 360 ever integrates with MFP I will consider it. But the FitBit software is so great and integrates with MFP so well now I'd have to consider if i even want to leave FitBit line of stuff.
  • morgsgrieninger
    morgsgrieninger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fitbit. I always wore the ultra then used a polar HR monior while exercising. But the thing is if I'm going to pay so much for a watch, I want it to be able to at least read my texts. I wonder if fitbit is coming out with anything to beat the surge?
  • DuckReconMajor
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Honestly I just want something that will throw texts up on my watch and display the time while keeping charge hr capabilities so i still read fitbit surge reviews and consider it every once in a while. but fitbit coming out with something that's like a Surge that works better as a smartwatch i will be very interested.

edit: just read a review that says apparently it only notifies you of calls and texts. I nearly forgot i need my snapchat notifications too.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Polar M400 with H7 chest strap sensor. Also links with most cardio equipment to control level/resistance/incline by heart rate. May be a bit more bulky than fitbit.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Sports-Watch-Heart-Monitor/dp/B00NPZ7WNU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435600273&sr=8-1&keywords=m400&pebp=1435600275098&perid=0F04VENAGX99KFE9YPX0

http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/running_multisport/m400
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    Does the polar m400 have smart watch capabilities (ability to receive notifications from texts, calls, apps)?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    Does the polar m400 have smart watch capabilities (ability to receive notifications from texts, calls, apps)?

Yes

• ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    Was just on another thread, it seems right now the M400 will only work with the IOS system. they are working on it for android
  • tdecel
    tdecel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A watch is a watch. I got the Samsung Gear S a couple of week ago to go with my Note 3. I love it as a "smart" watch, but it is lousy as an activity tracker. This is supposed to be the greatest of the latest, but it is very quirky.

The HR functions only works if I stop and push the unit hard into my wrist for a minute. Not doable on a long bike ride. I used the Nike run app a couple of times, with my Garmin Edge 500 in my pocket, and the watch was like 20% off in total miles compared to the GPS.

I used a pair of Bluetooth earphones and I was able to listen to music, but when I received a phone call on the Gear S while climbing a hill, I fumbled to answer it in mid run, it inadvertently stopped the Nike app while switching to the phone app.

The steps measure, great but I hardly walked the other day. I went to the gym instead, lifted wights for and hour and did 45 minutes on the elliptical and it told me I had just walked 17,000 steps. Now what?

Long story short, Im using the watch as a watch and emergency cell phone, and keeping my Garmin in my pocket on runs or on my bike handlebars for rides.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    tdecel wrote: »
    A watch is a watch. I got the Samsung Gear S a couple of week ago to go with my Note 3. I love it as a "smart" watch, but it is lousy as an activity tracker. This is supposed to be the greatest of the latest, but it is very quirky.

The HR functions only works if I stop and push the unit hard into my wrist for a minute. Not doable on a long bike ride. I used the Nike run app a couple of times, with my Garmin Edge 500 in my pocket, and the watch was like 20% off in total miles compared to the GPS.

I used a pair of Bluetooth earphones and I was able to listen to music, but when I received a phone call on the Gear S while climbing a hill, I fumbled to answer it in mid run, it inadvertently stopped the Nike app while switching to the phone app.

The steps measure, great but I hardly walked the other day. I went to the gym instead, lifted wights for and hour and did 45 minutes on the elliptical and it told me I had just walked 17,000 steps. Now what?

Long story short, Im using the watch as a watch and emergency cell phone, and keeping my Garmin in my pocket on runs or on my bike handlebars for rides.

The polars are activity tracker first , all the other stuff second. it uses a chest strap for getting heart rate. They are known for their HRM

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a watch that can do both activity tracking and has smartwatch capabilities. I would prefer that it has a HR monitor on it as well. I really like the fitbit surge, but it is kinda bulky and ugly, plus I don't like that the display isn't in color. I have a note 4, and I really like the gear fit, but I hate it doesn't input into MFP. Sleep tracking isn't super important to me, but HR is (because it is more accurate at calorie burn.) It doesn't have to have a lot of workout modes (like lifting or whatever,) because I mostly do in home workouts, the elliptical or horseback riding. I would really like to be able to read my texts and notifications on the tracker. Any suggestions?

If a HR comes close for calorie burn is dependent on a lot of variables and for the most part ... they don't.