Yoga Anyone?

Lyn_Matthews
Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm thinking about getting a yoga dvd and just wondered if anyone had one they really liked. I know nothing about yoga so I would be interested in something that was good for beginners and beyond.
Thanks

Replies

• Lyn_Matthews
    I'm thinking about getting a yoga dvd and just wondered if anyone had one they really liked. I know nothing about yoga so I would be interested in something that was good for beginners and beyond.
    Thanks
  • hey i liked yoga but I just went to youtube.com and watch them off there and do some of the ones one there... so sorry ... However I'm sure you'll like doing yoga I sucked bad at some of it wheni first started.. lol .. another kind you can try is pilates. :ohwell:
  • I found a couple good yogo videos from Crunch fitness. I like them, and they are great for toning. You won't burn a lot of calories, but it does really help to relax you, and the flexability is an added bonus.
    Try it, you may find out you love it!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    I take a yoga class at the gym. It has really helped with my flexibility. Some people have problems when they first start because they aren't that flexible to begin with. Don't get discouraged if you don't "get it right" the first time. In time you will be able to do the moves and feel more confident about it. Just remember - if it were easy everyone would be doing it.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Giam I think the name is has good DVD's for yoga. They can be found at target or bestbuy, Try a local used book store. I found a couple good dvd's from a used book store by my house for dirt cheep.
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Sara Ivanhoe is good. I have Advanced Yoga (the for Dummies video) from her, but it is good for beginner too. The Dummies jump-ins take a little getting used to, but I like her a lot. She does a good job explaining the different poses.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Rodney Yee (an instructor on the Gaiam label) is my favorite "home yoga" teacher.
    :flowerforyou:

An important bit of advice: make sure you get a yoga DVD that is specifically for beginners. A yoga DVD labeled "intermediate" is much more challenging. Also, be aware that you may not be able to perform all of the poses at first, even on a beginning DVD.

And, one more word of advice, if you can at all, try to go to a class or two. It will make all the difference in your understanding of the postures.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I guess I'll have to do some research.
  • IF your area has HOT Yoga or Bikram yoga, try a session. A one hour session can burn up to 600 calories if you do the 26 poses. Its awesome, addicting, relaxing... calming... I stopped going this past summer and gained all of my weight back, I signed back up yesterday & hope to start the year off again.
    ps... be prepared to sweat! The room is normally heated to about 105.. DRINK lots of water before and during your session.
This discussion has been closed.