Diagnosed with PCOS and am not overweight

Options
Both my sister and I have PCOS, my sister has always exhibited more symptoms than me (acne, more facial hair, overweight, etc.). I have been strength training for over 6 years now, do my cardio, and count whatever I eat. Even though I'm not as lean as my clients are (I'm a personal trainer) and as lean as my friends who have trained with me in the past, I make sure to keep my weight in check. I admit, for the amount of work that I put in, I should have a lot less body fat but the PCOS makes it extremely difficult. The point of this post is to convince anyone with PCOS that it is MORE about lifestyle choices and to stop using PCOS as an excuse as to why you are overweight. A lower carb diet is necessary for weight loss, and strength training will put the extra testosterone to good use! It might be more difficult to lose weight and maintain a healthier lifestyle, but if you work hard enough and long enough it will happen! Stop looking at the immediate results, because with PCOS it takes longer!!!! Keep going even when you don't see results and stop settling for a body that you aren't happy with because you think that's the way you're meant to be. If you want it bad enough, you will work hard enough!

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what you can overcome when you're ready to give up on the excuses and get down to the work of it, instead. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a plan that works and is successful for you. I think that's probably the most important factor of all.

I would confront that a low carb diet is necessary for weight loss. It may be a preferred method and I have heard it often is of those with PCOS, but the only thing that is necessary for weight loss is eating at a deficit.

I think she meant a lower carb diet is necessary for weight loss for people with PCOS.

But it's not necessary for weight loss for people with PCOS. It may be what someone prefers, but it is not necessary for weight loss, only a caloric deficit is.

BINGO! How you prefer to achieve that caloric deficit is up to you. But there is no one method that trumps another, since losing weight always comes down to burning more calories than you eat. *Whatever* you choose to eat. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a plan that works and is successful for you. I think that's probably the most important factor of all.

I would confront that a low carb diet is necessary for weight loss. It may be a preferred method and I have heard it often is of those with PCOS, but the only thing that is necessary for weight loss is eating at a deficit.

I think she meant a lower carb diet is necessary for weight loss for people with PCOS.

But it's not necessary for weight loss for people with PCOS. It may be what someone prefers, but it is not necessary for weight loss, only a caloric deficit is.

That's correct. It might make it easier for some with insulin resistance to restrict or in some way moderate their carbs, but you don't have to. Some people with issues with extreme hunger find that low carbing mitigates them.

Others don't have those issues or would find a low-carb plan difficult to stick with.

The main thing is the caloric deficit.

• KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is not true that everyone diagnosed with pcos has insulin resistance, increased androgens, or even have cysts on their ovaries. (Though cysts is in the name) Pcos is a collection of symptoms that occur, to be diagnosed you are supposed to meet at least two of the criteria. Though some have been diagnosed with less. So though this post was (I hope) meant to be helpful, it was not correct in the advice given. Maybe just feel grateful that you have found what works for you.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Both my sister and I have PCOS, my sister has always exhibited more symptoms than me (acne, more facial hair, overweight, etc.). I have been strength training for over 6 years now, do my cardio, and count whatever I eat. Even though I'm not as lean as my clients are (I'm a personal trainer) and as lean as my friends who have trained with me in the past, I make sure to keep my weight in check. I admit, for the amount of work that I put in, I should have a lot less body fat but the PCOS makes it extremely difficult. The point of this post is to convince anyone with PCOS that it is MORE about lifestyle choices and to stop using PCOS as an excuse as to why you are overweight. A lower carb diet is necessary for weight loss, and strength training will put the extra testosterone to good use! It might be more difficult to lose weight and maintain a healthier lifestyle, but if you work hard enough and long enough it will happen! Stop looking at the immediate results, because with PCOS it takes longer!!!! Keep going even when you don't see results and stop settling for a body that you aren't happy with because you think that's the way you're meant to be. If you want it bad enough, you will work hard enough!

Why would you assume that we are doing this?

When PCOS was my only issue, I was never overweight. I was active, lifted weights and had a good diet.

The implication is a bit insulting.

I find that a lower-carb diet absolutely is necessary. Just my experience as someone who actually has PCOS and other metabolic issues.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I definitely find that a moderately low-carb approach is helping me :) Thanks for the motivational post!
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

Why would you assume that we are doing this?

I think she may have been referring to the number of threads that pop up here all the time from people with PCOS who seem stuck in a victim mindset as in, "I can't lose weight because I have PCOS." :)

• jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    UMDavies wrote: »
    I have PCOS and I definitely find that a moderately low-carb approach is helping me :) Thanks for the motivational post!

Same here. Because it is an insulin issue, eating things that turn into sugar is obviously not the best plan. If I ate a different way, I would struggle to lose weight and have, for years. It isn't the only way, but it definitely makes it much easier, for me anyway.
    Addressing the excuse issue...we can all turn anything we have at our disposal into a crutch. Although I feel that PCOS makes it difficult to lose weight, it is a mindset that we have to overcome. I am speaking from my own experience. It is disheartening and discouraging to work so hard and see small results, but it is doable!