Best solution for those who find it hard to lose weight?

Options
JAT74
JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
After several months of trying to lose weight and 14lbs off (though very very slowly) I have come to understand what does and doesn't work for me in terms of how I can lose weight. I still have around 18lbs to lose, and sometimes I feel like I will never reach my goal weight.

Basically I have a low TDEE of around 1450, which means that if I want to lose a minimum of 1lb per week, I can either eat 950 calories per day 7 days a week, exercise 7 days a week and eat around 1250 per day or do a form of intermittent fasting (the 5:2 diet) plus exercise daily so that I can eat a little more 5 days a week.

Since February this year I have opted for the latter, ie. eating around 1400-1500 calories per day 5 days a week with 2 days of 500 calories which is the 5:2 diet. I also have to exercise 6-7 days per week with some days of intensive exercise otherwise I find I don't lose at all.

Eating this way can be really hard, and if I have just 1 day off fasting or 1-2 days off exercising I find that I don't lose. The same goes if I have a day or two of eating slightly higher calories.

It seems like a real struggle and there are weeks when I lose no weight at all because I have social occasions to attend or I feel hungrier than normal which mean I have days when I eat more than I know my body will allow for me to be able to lose weight, but I still think it's preferable to the alternative ie. eating 950 calories every single day.

I was wondering if there were others out there who have similar problems and if so how do you manage? Some people tell me it's easier if you eat low carb, eat 'clean' or if you reduce calories on the other 5 days a week too to around 1200 per day in order to lose a bit faster.

I would like to hear from others in my position as I'd like to find a way of eating that will allow me to lose a bit quicker/more consistently and is sustainable at least until I reach my goal weight and then I know I will be able to eat a little bit more.

I'm happy doing 5:2 as I feel great on my fast days, but the other days can sometimes be hard.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Can you give your stats? What sort of exercises do you do, and how much?
  • JAT74
    Options
    I do walks of 30-60 minutes, 3-4 times a week at moderate speed plus around 1-2 cardio sessions of about 40 minutes. I also do 4 workouts of 35 minutes each per week using reasonably heavy weights and body weight exercises (Jillian Michaels body revolution). I never count/eat back exercise calories. My TDEE is my sedentary TDEE as I have experimented many many times by eating more than that and I always gain weight rapidly. I have no medical reason for fast weight gain, just a slow metabolism and the fact I am 40 years old! I'm 5 foot 4 and currently weigh 133.8-135 lbs depending on the day.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You may hate to hear it, but it's probably hard for you to lose because you're already very close to a healthy weight. You're within the normal BMI, and from my research I hear it's good if older women have a little extra (5-10lbs) on them--it's usually better health indicators for bone density, etc.

Have you tried taking a break? I mean an honest break of eating at maintenance and only light exercise. You might find giving your body a break helps to revamp some of your energy. I tend to do this when I get absolutely sick of dieting--I just go on maintenance for a while until I feel up to it again, because it has been a LONG process for me.

Also: you say when you eat more you "gain weight rapidly": do you mean you gain up to 5 lbs within a week? Because that's likely just you gaining back your glucose reserves and water weight from being on such a strict diet. People tend to gain about 5 or so lbs once going on maintenance as your body replenishes those supplies. It usually won't mean any inches gained though.

So if you really think you'd gain weight, you'll have to stop yourself from freaking out over a small intial bump, and then try to track maintenance for more than 4 weeks. If you still gain after 4 weeks on maintenance, then you might have to tweak.

Anyway, I know that's a lot of info, but there's other good resources out there. Check out some of the TDEE or intermittent fasting groups here on MFP and see if any of them have info for you!
  • JAT74
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks, I know that rapid weight gain is not all fat gain and most likely water weight, but if/when it happens I find it takes me weeks to get back to where I was, hence why my weight loss has been so slow ie. only 14lbs in 6 months.

Regarding my current weight, I know I am within a healthy BMI but it's deceptive because my body fat is still really high. I initially lost a few % (down from 33.5-29%) though now it doesn't seem to want to budge and it's really frustrating

I'm not massively hung up on weight, though I'd like to be around 115lbs but I'll be happy at whatever weight I am at around 20% body fat.

Talking about taking a break I think that I have been doing that periodically anyway like when I have had days of eating more than will allow me to lose weight. I always track my food intake on MFP so I know what I'm eating from day to day, and there have been some days when I've consciously eaten up to 1700 or 1800 once in a week for example.

I don't tend to gain on maintenance, but with 5:2 your weight can fluctuate and I find I'm always at my lightest on the day after my 2nd fast day of the week. If I skip a fast day or have a day or 2 of eating over maintenance the scales shoot up but in reality once it evens out my weight is not going up massively. I just want to lose weight more consistently now, and body fat more specifically but the only way this seems to work is to eat a bit less and I know that means doing what I said originally ie. eating either low calories every day (which I know is not healthy), eating a bit less on non-fast days (eating around 1300 every single non-fast day and not going over) and also exercising. I find personally that eating above 150grams of carbs = no weight loss too, so if I can keep carbs to 100g or less that seems to work better but again, it's really hard at times to stick to it.

I am a member of some IF groups already, but I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't find the results come easily, though I want to stick with it. I have even started fasting overnight for 16-18 hours more days of the week and eating within a smaller window which is supposed to promote fat loss but this doesn't seem to help me much other than helping with appetite control.
  • moonpie83
    moonpie83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been extremely slow as well. For the last few weeks I have been working out twice a day for at least 3 days a week, going consistently 5 days a week. I do cardio, light weights and take classes (at this point I'm not sure what to do any more). The last time I lost a lot of weight it didn't take me this long and didn't seem to be as hard; but this time it's a different story. I've been watching what I eat, most days not even getting close to my daily calorie goal of 1280! And I'm scared to eat too much because I think that will allow me to gain instead of lose!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're at an appropriate weight for your height. It is slow going to lose those last few pounds. Is it the scale weight that bothers you, or the way your body looks? If it's the latter, I would suggest a progressive lifting program.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Make sure to switch up your meals and your workouts so your body doesn't get used to it. Look into HIIT. I'm a big fan of IF. Try a ton of different things and see what works for you. It's a journey, not a race.
  • JAT74
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My main issue is my fat ratio. In clothes I generally look ok and can wear a fairly small size now but I have tons of fat on my thighs, upper arms and tummy area (29% body fat currently). As I carry it mostly in those areas it looks much worse rather than if it was spread out all over. I already do IF and I also do a progressive weight lifting program so am at a loss as to what in can do next as I've tried so much already. The only thing I can try (reluctantly) is lowering calories to 1200 on my non, fast days, clean eating or going lower carb all of which are not very appealing.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    start weighing all your food on the scale I noticed that you dont weigh your fruit and half of a banana ( very dense in calories) is never 28 calories.... or it must be a mini mini banana :)
    60 gram of banana ( which is even a half for me) is already 54 calories
    you got all sorts of serving sizes and portions in your diary that indicates you are not weighing those kind of foods

So two things here
    you eat more calories than you think
    And you dont have much to lose at all ( healthy weight range)
    So it will go slow
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I have basically your stats (half inch taller and 2 yrs older). I do the best I can to eat in the 1400-1500 range, I work out 1/2 -> 1 hr, 5 days a week (plus try to just get in as many steps as I possibly can) and I have been losing about 1 lb a month. The only thing I focus on is getting enough protein (I can get all the fat I need without trying :)!). My plan is to try to get down to 125 to see how it feels. But I have come to the conclusion as someone mentioned above that I do need to get serious about weight lifting to see the results I want.

So I don't really have any tips, just wanted to say you aren't alone! It is frustratingly slow, but I am comfortable eating how I am, and I think finding the right workout regimen to affect my body comp is the way I need to go, so maybe that's something for you to consider too. I hope you get some sound advice and Good Luck :drinker:
  • JAT74
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks but I do generally weigh and measure almost everything as I work from home so know the weight/size of the things I eat regularly and put things in my scales if not. I do have small bananas for instance and I just weighed one with the skin off and it was 50 grams, I eat frozen banana portions and cut off extra banana along with the skin normally so the final weight of one half is approx 40 grams so probably not far off the calories I've stated. Most other foods are weighed from the packet or before cooking.

I do still have 9% fat to lose which is hard to estimate but I'd say that's at least 15-20lbs in weight. I know I would have to go low calorie to get it off quicker but slowly would be good enough for me!
  • JAT74
    Options
    Thanks Kimney I would be happy losing even at that rate at the moment! I was 121 lbs at my lightest but still had a lot of body fat even then (27%) so I'd like to get down lower with less body fat and see how I feel. We can do it!
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    measuring is not good and can be way off!!! and you log 20 blueberries and 3 berries Or 1.25 slice of something.

Here a short video of two kinda foods that make your diary go off by hundreds of calories.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Really ity is proven that people THINK they know how much their portions are but most people are 25% off.
    So add that to miscalculations we all have that is around 20% too. And you have whiped out almost all your deficit.
  • JAT74
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sorry I meant I weigh thinga on a scale, not measure. I also eat a lot of foods with the calorie count listed on the packet so I know it's accurate and if I use a portion size like berries I have the smallest berries you can imagine. I've been counting for so long now I know how grams and portions compare and always aim for numbers to be the same so I very much doubt I'm off or overestimating. In most cases I put too many calories rather than too few anyway (e.g. I only had 15 blueberries but put 20 etc.)

I just think I am unlucky as I have a low TDEE and weight loss can therefore only happen if I eat low calorie.
  • BWBTrish
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant I weigh thinga on a scale, not measure. I also eat a lot of foods with the calorie count listed on the packet so I know it's accurate and if I use a portion size like berries I have the smallest berries you can imagine. I've been counting for so long now I know how grams and portions compare and always aim for numbers to be the same so I very much doubt I'm off or overestimating. In most cases I put too many calories rather than too few anyway (e.g. I only had 15 blueberries but put 20 etc.)

I just think I am unlucky as I have a low TDEE and weight loss can therefore only happen if I eat low calorie.

Has nothing to do with your TDEE

and you are wrong sorry to say it right on the packet
    I had weeks ago a pre-cut piece of cheesecake.
    46 gram said the package and 210 calories. But i weigh my food...all my food
    It was way more..253 calories!!! wich means 43 calories more
    Than my soft taco which was also more when i weighed it out
    calculate that together and you are very quickly 100 calories a day off...not much isnt it? But that is 700 a week!
    5 weeks is 3500 calories wrong and there is a whole pound you just whiped away.
    that is more than 9 pounds a year!!!

But up to you i say you are NOT special
    Your TDEE is NOT that low you just eat more than you think because your diary shows all kinds of wrong entrees. Did you do a V02 max test? Why do you think your TDEE is that low?

i know you will throw this away and dont like me for this, but i am not your judge Your body is.
    You can calculate wrong, forget to log ( i dont say you do i give an example) you can chose wrong entrees...your body dont care...AT ALL. It registers for you every calorie it gets. It is the perfect calculator and is your judge
    You dont lose weight? or slow or think you are at a plateau? Look at what your body is telling you.
    You eat too much calories!!

Sorry and i leave it at this, listen to your body it tells you exactly what you eat!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

calculate that together and you are very quickly 100 calories a day off...not much isnt it? But that is 700 a week!

Your TDEE is NOT that low you just eat more than you think because your diary shows all kinds of wrong entrees. Did you do a V02 max test? Why do you think your TDEE is that low?

i know you will throw this away and dont like me for this, but i am not your judge Your body is.
    You can calculate wrong, forget to log ( i dont say you do i give an example) you can chose wrong entrees...your body dont care...AT ALL. It registers for you every calorie it gets. It is the perfect calculator and is your judge
    You dont lose weight? or slow or think you are at a plateau? Look at what your body is telling you.

Sorry and i leave it at this, listen to your body it tells you exactly what you eat!

I know this wasn't directed at me but I needed to hear this today! I have been slacking the past 2 weeks and your post is the swift kick in the butt I needed today! Thanks!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

OP she is 100% correct. ^^^
  • BWBTrish
    Options

I know this wasn't directed at me but I needed to hear this today! I have been slacking the past 2 weeks and your post is the swift kick in the butt I needed today! Thanks!

yvw ;) At least it helped somebody
    Did my good deed for today...can i go back being bad now...it hurts hehehe
    kidding of course.
    but glad to have helped you.

• BWBTrish
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

OP she is 100% correct. ^^^

and ty you too :)