Options
On the scale?
In the mirror?

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    One the scale? One week.

In the mirror? A few months. I noticed it more quickly in photos. Despite the fact I'm at my goal weight I can't always see it. The mirror is tricky! :)
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I and others noticed a difference after I had lost 20lbs. At that point people noticed the difference in me and I noticed the difference in my clothes. Now at 33lbs loss I notice a huge difference. Before 20lbs, no one noticed.
  • _8080808_
    _8080808_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    On the scale - A day, but it went up and down.
    The mirror - about the same. I think my body transitions easily, or something.
  • Xanna89
    Xanna89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Every week I notice progress on the scale even if it's not moving. To me that's a win too! In the mirror though for me it takes a looooong time. I've lost a lot of weight before(55lb) and it took me 30lbs pounds to notice. So about 3-4 months. But everyone else would comment almost everyday about my weight loss. I just couldn't believe it for my self so I couldn't see it.
  • thecoker
    thecoker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to 'notice' progress right away. I know that all sorts of companies advertise the 'quick fix', but I have been trying something new for 2 months now and I am starting to see a slight difference (on the scale and with some of my clothes)- but mainly I just FEEL better. No, it isn't the drop of 10 or more amazing pounds that the ads seem to promise- but I have realized that I have to take the small steps and see/feel the small changes and then the big picture and changes will fall into place (think of putting a puzzle together). I am going to keep with the small changes and when they become part of my routine, then I will change something else. I keep checking/logging on here as my main motivation and a place to pat myself on the back for caring enough to try! :smiley: We just have to keep with it and try to find those who keep us motivated! Hang in there!
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    i take progress pics to see progress... day1 and day20 is my profile pic
  • CBworkout91
    CBworkout91 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In the mirror: I see nothing yet. On the scale: I have gone from 264 to 254 in the past 6 weeks. I was doing a decent 2lb/week until yesterday, where I found that I had apparently lost no weight. :/ And I weigh myself in the morning too, before eating. I did not defecate first though.
  • Xanna89
    Options
    You know what's crazy is my close were falling off my body and I was still in disbelief lol
  • Xanna89
    Options
    Clothes lol
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It depends on how big you are to start with I suppose. I was around 253.5 pounds to begin (115kg) and I didn't think I looked any different until a good 50 pounds was gone. I'm 180.1 pounds today (81.7kg) and definitely feel and look a lot different.

I started losing weight the day after I started trying. I lost weight every day for many weeks but now it's an up and down process.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    3 weeks, and 3 months. I'm oldish.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it takes you 2 weeks to notice a change, 2 months for others to notice. For me, it was the success when I put on pants that were so tight and would not stay zipped a month ago and they fit perfectly! Needless to say I have been strutting about the office today :)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I started at 181 and I'm down to 131 (with about 11 pounds left until goal). I have a -really- hard time visualizing myself properly, which is one of the reasons why I thought I was fine as overweight for so long. Clothes are the BIG thing that help me realize where I am at - I went from a size ~14 to a dress size 4 and pant size 6. The mirror doesn't really work for me lol (but the scale does!). I notice changes more quickly now that I am smaller. I probably didn't notice much of a difference between 180-155 pounds. Bigger differences started being more obvious when I entered my healthy BMI range.

My face was also the last part to gain weight, so I would look in the mirror and think "I'm fine!" but I was kidding myself lol.

But I feel like this is SO person specific, and it depends on where you start. Physically I felt better as soon as I started eating better - the difference was huge.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    the more weight you have to lose, the less noticeable incremental drops in weight will be to the average eye...especially for people who see you every day...it's such a gradual process that people who see you everyday often don't really notice...same for looking in the mirror...you do that daily and it's such a gradual process that it can be difficult to see in ourselves unless we're looking at progress pictures.

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it takes you 2 weeks to notice a change, 2 months for others to notice. For me, it was the success when I put on pants that were so tight and would not stay zipped a month ago and they fit perfectly!

This^^.
  • SamanthasFitnessLog
    SamanthasFitnessLog Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started out by laying flat on my back, and placing my hand right on my pelvis. I would rest my hand so my palm faced me and used my fingers to 'measure' my belly fat. I was blown away this weekend as I remembered my stomach used to be parallel to '3' fingers worth of fat/water weight. It was a quick little check I could do, and I was almost ALWAYS delighted to see a little change.

I also took pictures and weighed myself weekly. I noticed my belly was shrinking almost immediately, scale I had of fear of and didn't look at until I was already 5 lbs down, and pictures were so-so. If you're a female, DO NOT take pictures right before your cycle, you'll only upset yourself.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    About a week, then about a month, when I first started. I was so out of shape that doing any activity was really, really hard for me, though.

I joined MFP after I'd lost 15lbs. I noticed the next day, then (water weight) and then in the mirror in about a week.
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The scale responded quickly. I started dropping weight after a couple days. The mirror took a lot longer, probably about 4 weeks. What was really surprising is how long it took for other people to notice - about 20 lbs. It was like I was walking around with a secret.

The first person who said anything was the check-in clerk at a hotel. He asked to see my license and noted that I had lost major weight. Right after that several other people I know made comments.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My scale has barely budged- a measly 3 pounds lost from 4 weeks of healthy eating, intense workouts, and will power. I'm still waiting for the dramatic difference. maybe after 8 weeks... sigh...
  • deannaxsmithx
    deannaxsmithx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    the pounds drop every week for me which is the number one thing keeping me motivated. went from 138 to 106 in 5 months. the mirror is a different story. I swear it plays tricks on me lol. When the room is brightly lit, I look bigger. when it's darker, I look thinner. so I rely on the scale & how clothes fit. Went from a size 14 pants to a size 6. My shirts went from large to small.