Dairy free protein options

Options
I have currently started weight raining again since being pregnant and giving birth to my 7 month old. I cannot have dairy as I breastfeed and she has a dairy allergy. And really failing to meet my macros! I need more protein! I already have a vegan protein shake a day, would prefer it to be clean, but also low maintenance as also have to look after a baby so don't have time to cook beans for hours on end! Any ideas? Please help me up my protein! Thanks :)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, legumes.

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sardines 25mg a can
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Meat
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    @emzywemzy86 - are you a vegetarian?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't eat meat,

I rely a lot on dairy, and would think some non-dairy alternatives would be helpful.

-Seitan
    -Soy products (tofu, etc)
    -Canned beans (their are versions that are BPA free and ones with no added sugar, syrups, so they would be considered "clean" I suppose)
    -trader joe sprouted bread had a solid amount of protein, 6-7 grams in a 60-calorie slice.
    -Their are some lower carb wraps that have good protein amounts, "flat-outs flax" has 7 or so for 90 calories. Comparable to beans

Really, just start checking nutrition info. If you want pasta, take a few minutes and find the one with the most protein for the least calories. Same for breads, and even some vegetables. It all adds up.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Have oatmeal for breakfast with a scoop of peanut butter, and almond milk. Hummus for snack, with carrots. Quinoa Kale black bean salad, they sell frozen Quinoa kale pouches at Costco. Have snack of edaname before bed.
  • emzywemzy86
    emzywemzy86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK so don't have a Costco here. Thanks I do eat meat but there's only so much meat I can eat, would prefer plant based proteins. I know beans are an option but was hoping for some quick recipes perhaps. Thanks for the help
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK so don't have a Costco here. Thanks I do eat meat but there's only so much meat I can eat, would prefer plant based proteins. I know beans are an option but was hoping for some quick recipes perhaps. Thanks for the help

Someone else suggested soy, i would actually suggest you avoid soy. Atleast in large amounts.

My suggestions would be:
    Beans (mexican beans and quinoa)
    quinoa
    Pea Protein
    Hemp protein
    mushrooms
    eggs
    peanut butter
    lentils
    etc.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Someone else suggested soy, i would actually suggest you avoid soy. Atleast in large amounts.

My suggestions would be:
    quinoa
    Pea Protein
    Hemp protein
    mushrooms
    eggs
    peanut butter
    lentils
    etc.

Agreed. Too much soy tends to give me headaches. And I tend to avoid excess of anything that I'm unsure of-like soy
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

My suggestions would be:
    quinoa
    Pea Protein
    Hemp protein
    mushrooms
    eggs
    peanut butter
    lentils
    etc.

Agreed. Too much soy tends to give me headaches. And I tend to avoid excess of anything that I'm unsure of-like soy

It caused hormonal issues for me. I decided to go vegan (lasted like a month) from vegetarian, and i had no idea how to hit my protein goal without dairy. I immediately started eating like 80-90g a day from soy. =/

Definitely not advisable.
  • kshama2001
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's my recipe for bean salad. Mix everything and refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors blend. I also put in a few tablespoons of whatever fresh herbs I have on hand and if none, 1/2 t - 1 t dried Italian seasoning, plus salt and pepper to taste.

09daddc26b686de201495eb2b593a8e1.png

This is based on 200 grams per serving:

a0d09760839324bcf01fc0b417e77e29.png
  • emzywemzy86
    emzywemzy86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks will give the bean recipe a go! I need to avoid soy as it causes problems for my little one aswell. It's so difficult when you can't drink milk! Luckily they grow out of the allergy around a year old so not much longer!
  • khans1999
    khans1999 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Meat

Umm, she may be a vegetarian or vegan. Don't say that.
  • khans1999
    khans1999 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    Sardines 25mg a can
    Like I said before, she may be a vegetarian or vegan.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    khans1999 wrote: »
    Meat

Umm, she may be a vegetarian or vegan. Don't say that.

She would have specified in her OP.
    Plus open forum so you can not dictate what people say.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    For those of you who were wondering if the OP is vegetarian or vegan:
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For those of you who were wondering if the OP is vegetarian or vegan:

posted AFTER my initial response.
    Look at time stamps.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eggs and egg whites are an awesome source of protein. It's not plant-based, but a nice alternative to meats when you need protein. There's a lot of ways to cook them, they're easy and quick to prepare, and you can even buy pasteurized egg whites and use those raw in smoothies.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @emzywemzy86 - I cooked a lot of rice and beans when I was in Costa Rica. I used a pressure cooker for the beans - took about 45 minutes. You can also cook them overnight in a crock pot. Or use canned. When I buy canned beans, I look for brands that contain just beans and maybe a little salt.

The recipe was rice + beans + whatever veggies were on hand that went well together + whatever herbs & spices go with that.

Here are 35 rice & bean recipes: http://www.wisebread.com/35-delicious-rice-and-bean-dishes
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    My youngest granddaughter reacts to both dairy and soy which made life very difficult for them at first. Mum was so very ill a few days after the birth. Baby not being able to take the usual UK hospital formula alternatives had to be found turned out to be prescription only. That was three long years ago. Once over the worst nursing resumed.

I congratulate any mum who changes her own diet to nurse her child. I'm sure many would turn to any formula without much thought. Good for you. I hope your little one grows out of it.