Quinoa and lentils

Options
are these good for a diet? like if I make a Quinoa and lentil salad with lime and lemon juice some vinegar green onion and have that for lunch is that helpful or hurtful for a diet for weight loss? I was going to have overnight oatmeal for breakfast Quinoa and Lentil salad for lunch and a lite dinner full of veggies and some protein with 1 protein shake at some point during the day

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you eat. You lose weight by achieving a calorie deficit. Your Quinoa and lentil salad will be high in fiber and moderately high in protein.
  • CurvyFitMumma
    CurvyFitMumma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks... I am just looking for something I like to keep me full but be healthy and easy... I will measure and try it and if it doesn't work I will rethink it
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Sounds filling and delicious to me.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    For weight loss all that matters is eating less than you burn. No matter how healthy it is, if you eat too much, you'll gain weight. Salad sounds good to me, as long as it fits in your calorie goals.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Yes. Quinoa and lentils are good sources of carbs and protein. Go for it, while maintaining your caloric goal, of course.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Funny you asked about these two things, I had curried lentils over quinoa for lunch today!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you're using dry lentils, ensure you soak them in water overnight. They're definitely an excellent source of nutrition. 1/2 cup has 340 calories and 25g of protein so that's a good portion to use.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Both are nutrient dense foods. If you keep a calorie deficit, eating nutrient dense foods is a win/win!
  • CurvyFitMumma
    CurvyFitMumma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    they're good in general...at least to me. I ate them when I was dieting, ate them when I was gaining weight, and I eat them in maintenance.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I made a really delicious salad once with lentils, herb greens, portabella mushrooms, and goat cheese. Lentils and quinoa are great for fiber and protein. Both will help keep you full.
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    If you're using dry lentils, ensure you soak them in water overnight. They're definitely an excellent source of nutrition. 1/2 cup has 340 calories and 25g of protein so that's a good portion to use.

Not necessary^^
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    AdamImadA wrote: »

Not necessary^^

Yeah. I soak mine for an hour, tops. I replace the water half way through, and they're good.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    AdamImadA wrote: »

Not necessary^^

One of the reasons I love lentils... they don't need to be soaked.