I'm back

Options
i tried to make some tweaks but since starting this plan my net loss is only a pound. Pleas have another look at my diary. A couple of blips this week but I can't stop doing normal things altogether. Any other ideas?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? What stats did you enter into MFP and how many pounds (or kg) did you select to lose per week?
  • MissPootle
    MissPootle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh my food if at home. I selected to lose 2 pounds per week but anything per week would do me!
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Try to make sure you are weighing all your food, including fats (butter, oils, etc), peanut butter, and condiments. Tbsp/ tsp measurements can be very inaccurate.

How long have you doing this? If it's only been a week you do need to give it some more time. Weight loss isn't linear so you have to be patient because there will be fluctuations.

@lemonlionheart created this flowchart that can help you work out your plan and see what you could tighten up on.

woq3henrsg67.jpg
  • MissPootle
    Options
    It's been about a month. I eat about half of my exercise calories back. Maybe I could reduce this amount,
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. Unfortunately I'm only working with what you've provided so I don't have much to go on. If you provide your stats (age, weight, height, activity level), that might shed light on what you're doing with respect to your diary.

Personally, I think the likeliest explanation is you overestimate your activity level and have your calories set too high, or your logging is not accurate enough and you are underestimating how many calories you are eating.

Do review the flowchart closely, it has some very good info in there.
  • MissPootle
    Options
    I'm 37, weigh (today) 135lb (start weight 136lb), height 5ft4. I work in a sedentary job but walk about 5 miles a day and do some other exercise (run, swim, cycle) about four times a week. My calories are set at 1200. I feel constantly hungry though so I have been eating some of my calories back.
  • MissPootle
    Options
    I use a Garmin to track activity by the way.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    First, given your stats, you should be set to 0.5 lb/wk. You're already at a normal weight range so trying to lose faster than that will be very difficult. Since you don't have many pounds to lose, you may also benefit from looking at a body recomp program rather than straight weight loss.

Using a TDEE calculator given your stats, your sedentary TDEE is ~1540, so MFP would fall to around 1290 (assuming sedentary). But, assuming daily exercise, your TDEE could be as high as 2100.

Also, since you're using a Garmin, is it synced to MFP? Do you log exercises manually as well? Is it possible you are double logging activity (i.e. automatically and manually)?

If you are wearing your Garmin daily all day, it should be giving you an estimate of your daily calorie burn. Take a look at that and over the past few weeks in the Garmin app and see if you can find an average number that makes sense against the above info.

One thing you can do is take the average daily burn estimated by the Garmin and subtract 250 and set your calorie goal to that, and do not log your exercise. Do that for a few weeks and see if that works better for you.

Again, you're very close and don't have much you can or should lose, so all progress will be very slow and incremental.

• MissPootle
    Options
    The exercise is synced automatically and I only log the strength exercises manually (but they don't come up as burning calories). I'll give using the Garmin stats a go. I think they will result in me eating fewer calories if I take off 250 calories, at least on days where I do little exercise.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    did you look at the flow chart at all?

You are not logging accurately and over by at least 1k calories this week.

In your diary you have quick adds, stuff in "balls", cups, slices etc.

Look at the flow chart...follow it...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you are not weighing your food accurately. i can tell that by looking at your most recent entry alone
  • MissPootle
    Options
    The balls are manufactured. There are three in a packet of which the weight is given. The same with slices of bread.
  • MissPootle
    Options
    Hmm, I'm not sure I can commit to weighing everything when I'm out of the house from 7am until 9pm most days. Nor am I sure I want to eat less food, I'm already hungry!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    MissPootle wrote: »
    The balls are manufactured. There are three in a packet of which the weight is given. The same with slices of bread.

so...when I weigh "packaged" food it never weighs what the package says...

you are not logging accurately...either do that or stay where you are...simple.
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh everything solid. The bread I eat is supposed to be 34 grams and 80 calories a slice but they rarely are. Yesterday I had two slices that weighed 76 grams for two which equaled 2.25 slices by the packaged weight.
  • MissPootle
    Options
    For those who say the package never weighs the same as the scale, are you in the UK?
  • MissPootle
    Options
    But also, I'm not sure I'd have 1.75 slices of something if it weighed the wrong weight. That doesn't seem too practical.
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale a couple weeks ago after having "logging issues" and can definitely say that I was unknowingly overeating due to not weighing my food.

If you are gone from the house all day can you pre-weigh all of your meals for the day and take them with you?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    MissPootle wrote: »
    But also, I'm not sure I'd have 1.75 slices of something if it weighed the wrong weight. That doesn't seem too practical.
    you asked and you don't like the answer...so be it.

If you are happy with your current rate of loss and current way of logging go for it.

Continue to log your medium apple, your cups and slices and all those other things you don't want to weight and log accurately because you don't think it's practical...and battle with this 20lbs...

and I am out.