Trying the diet before Bariatric surgery

Options
jiacrist
jiacrist Posts: 3 Member
Hi, My name is Jia and I'm new. I think this is an awesome diet tracker from what I've seen so far. My insurance requires me to do a 6 month diet plan before I get bariatric surgery so I have chosen this route.

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard!
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome home! This is a great support site if you choose the right frinds. I had the surg and don't regrt it but it's not a sure fix. You'll still have struggles but not as bad. So welcome to MFP. ~~Mary
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MPF!!! If you want people to support you and motivate you before your surgery feel free to add me!
  • allybtucker
    allybtucker Posts: 91
    Options
    Hi Jia, welcome! Bariactric surgery won't succeed in the long term unless you change your attitude toward food, and tracking your food to see the nutritive value is a great step! I have a friend that had the surgery and lost a ton of weight initially, only becuase her portion sizes were forcibly reduced. She continued to eat crap food though, if she could only eat three bites, you'd better believe it was fried cheese, hamburger, and ice cream. Her health continues to suffer, and though she weighs less than her highest, she's still obese 15 years later. I don't mean to be a buzz kill, I just hope you can get your psychology surrounding food fixed as well as your physiology, cause they go hand in hand. Best of luck!!!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Glad you're with us.

There's no magic. It's just consistent review of what you eat and how you exercise. It's becoming aware of your body and your health.

Good luck on your journey to better health.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome jia.
    the best of luck to you on your journey!
    jane
  • jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options
    which surgery are you thinking of having?
  • Sleevemomma
    Sleevemomma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Jia Im also on pre-op hopefully this tool will help me stay on my diet plan! Im have the gastric sleeve throught kaiser as soon as I hit my goal wieght I'll have a surgery date yay!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've known several people who had "the surgery" and thought it was what was going to change their world.

"The surgery" doesn't change your world, YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR WORLD.

As Erica and Mary said you have to maintain, "The surgery" helps, it makes your stomach smaller and fills up faster. It is up to you to use that chance to YOUR benefit and use that chance to change your life.

You'll still have to lose the weight and learn how to eat healthy and nutrious foods.

You need to make the change, you it to your benefit!

Good luck on your goals! DETERMINATION
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Many of the posts are true about the mindset need going into WLS. It is a very good tool but more is needed for sure. Please read my profile and join us on a WLS thread I started in July of last year just for WLS patients -- see below link!! Feel free also to friend me if you need additional support. The thread is excellent safe place to receive additional support pre-op and post-op.

WLS is not the easy way out but it is useful in the restriction for a period of time and quick weight loss. Keep in mind much work is need to keep those pounds at bay and I can totaly tesitfy to this :) You can do it!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/180611-wls-support-and-inspirational-information?page=18
  • Lee1957
    Lee1957 Posts: 23
    Options
    I considered the surgery, but the thing that bothered me is that I would need to pay someone thousands of dollars to control my eating, when I should be able to do it myself. I understand that when we are overweight we want a solution that gets us there. The friends that I know that have had it, still continue to eat the same foods and that won't cut it. I am going to lose the weight myself, if it takes two years, because it is changing the way I look at food, how I use food psychologically, and learning to control my impulses. I have been using food for so long it is second nature to me and changing that is very very hard. I hope that you are happy with your results and that you get where you want to be. Surgery is a very extreme option for the money. I realize that if you are really overweight this does help. I am 262 right now with 94 lbs left to go. I hope that we both attain our goals. If you need a friend just send a request. If you can lose in here for six months you probably could lose it all quite possibly.
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This is a great site! Welcome and good luck!