High Bar vs Low Bar Squats

Options
2»

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »

You will typically be able to move more weight going strict lowbar than highbar as it recruits more muscles than a highbar squat.

It may recruit more muscles but the primary reason you can squat more low bar is you are moving the load (bar) closer to the fulcrum. If you think of the movement as a basic lever, the lower the bar, the closer the load is to the centre and the shorter distance it has to travel.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    ^^^ yes that is what I've learned from research as well. :)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I did low bar today for the first time and it felt a lot better. With high bar, the bar was pinching a nerve or something
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others that said it's preference? I'm usually use the high bar position, but noticed that my back does stay tighter, and chest more outward with the low bar, but with heavier weight, I feel like the bar is just going to slide down my back, so I end up reverting back to high bar. I'm sure I have grip issues, but I think both are great.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    My shoulders are bad. Low bar scares me. I just add padding with high bar as needed. Above 200lbs with no padding can sometimes bruise.

I'm a long way away from that now, sadly. LOL.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My body structure prefers low-bar squatting. Again, it's all about preference and if you're not competing it really makes no difference in my opinion...... best of luck to you!
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    First thing, with either proper form is required. I see no one else in the gym squat to proper depth, etc, but I go to a globo gym.

I think it's best to think about the program you are doing as a whole. I think it's best if possible to do low bar if you are following starting strength, mad cow, or strong lifts. I think Rippetoe has a little bit more science behind why you use LBBS on his program than various other authors. If you are following one of those programs, get strong with proper form past the novice stage, then think about high bar or front squats etc.

Because of lack of shoulder flexibility, I did high bar for a long time. Eventually if you put it down low, you will become flexible enough, but it takes a while. For me, it might only be 2 or 3 inches (bar just below spine of scapula), but it definitely feels a lot different and will work the muscles slighly different than high bar. Try it for yourself with proper depth and hips and you will tell the difference.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like low bar. I feel more in balance since you lean forward more at the bottom. I feel like I'm going to tip over backward doing high bar and keeping my upper body more upright. I've wondered if this is because I have such big hips/*kitten*.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I find low bar allows me to hit the depth I want the easiest. I've done both consistently and just based on my body structure find low bar to be a bit more comfortable while squatting.
  • GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    http://www.strengtheory.com/squats-are-not-hip-dominant-or-knee-dominant-3/

seriously massively having a geek out over this article.

So awesome.

Thanks for sharing JoRocka
  • GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like tend to start high bar with light warm up sets then finish with the low bar powerlifting position. I feel like this helps with my shoulder flexibility so they can hold the bar in position
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to move more weight in the long run with low bar squats.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    34blast wrote: »
    First thing, with either proper form is required. I see no one else in the gym squat to proper depth, etc, but I go to a globo gym.

I think it's best to think about the program you are doing as a whole. I think it's best if possible to do low bar if you are following starting strength, mad cow, or strong lifts. I think Rippetoe has a little bit more science behind why you use LBBS on his program than various other authors. If you are following one of those programs, get strong with proper form past the novice stage, then think about high bar or front squats etc.

I am actually following Mad Cow, and I do squat really low so I'm hitting a point where coming back up is tough. I want to hit 200 by end of summer, but I'm squatting 175 for 5 right now (which I'm sure many of you think is weak), but I'm struggling to see gains.

I was told I actually squat too low by a trainer and that I should only be gong to 90 degrees. I told him thank you and waited for him to walk away before continuing it my way...I'm going to give low bar another go, I think I need the support.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    erojoy wrote: »
    34blast wrote: »

I am actually following Mad Cow, and I do squat really low so I'm hitting a point where coming back up is tough. I want to hit 200 by end of summer, but I'm squatting 175 for 5 right now (which I'm sure many of you think is weak), but I'm struggling to see gains.

I was told I actually squat too low by a trainer and that I should only be gong to 90 degrees. I told him thank you and waited for him to walk away before continuing it my way...I'm going to give low bar another go, I think I need the support.

Try find one way of squatting (high / low) and then stick with it or you'll constantly find yourself stuck. Unless you compete in powerlifting or olympic lifting (low bar vs. high bar) the style doesn't matter too much. People with certain deficiencies / issues (e.g. weak hips) could benefit from one style over the other but in-general for the healthy population; just find something and stick with it. You'll get better at squats by learning the movement you're most comfortable with through repetition.

Once you're comfortable with one over the other and you still find yourself stuck, then think about your recovery and programming. If recovery (nutrition / sleep / stress) is well-managed, then it could be the programming. I personally find the MadCow to be too aggressive with the weight jumps and doesn't give time to build strength I think. It works very well for some people and that's great, but you might be at the point where it's time for something else.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I like tend to start high bar with light warm up sets then finish with the low bar powerlifting position.

Same. I've done both styles in the same lifting session.

I've come to the opinion that variance is a key to progression. A straight 5x5 workout is a great beginner workout, but after a couple years, it seems like variance is the key to progression.

Variance in sets/reps from session to session seems to do a lot for my ability to progress in weight. For example, I might do a 5x5 one workout, and next workout it's a ladder that is more focused on heavy 2-rep lifts at max weight toward the end.

The bar position is just another variance factor, IMO. It's another way to alter, ever so slightly, the muscles used, or how they're used, during the workout.