HELP blisters!!!

Options
I was well overdue for new shoes so I went and got "trail shoes" because I walk on dirt trails never pavement. But I've ha blisters since day one of these shoes. I woke up two days ago couldn't even walk because my feet hurt too bad. So I read to clean, pop and cover with antibiotics and band aids. However I've kept hiking everyday cause I'm on vacation and didn't want to miss trails. However I keep getting blisters on top of blisters on top of blisters!
So is it my shoes, or what?? I never had this issue on the same trails with my old shoes that are almost 10 years old but they aren't ment for outside wear. I don't want to stop hiking or walking but i don't want to keep getting blister cause damn they hurt.

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with trail shoes, however I know some shoes (like doc martens) can be hard to break in.
    Keep wearing them is the only solution.

As for blister prevention, just stick some bandaids on the spots with most friction. Regular ones, the special blister kind might acrually give you more trouble.
  • Francine_rivas
    Francine_rivas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was well overdue for new shoes so I went and got "trail shoes" because I walk on dirt trails never pavement. But I've ha blisters since day one of these shoes. I woke up two days ago couldn't even walk because my feet hurt too bad. So I read to clean, pop and cover with antibiotics and band aids. However I've kept hiking everyday cause I'm on vacation and didn't want to miss trails. However I keep getting blisters on top of blisters on top of blisters!
    So is it my shoes, or what?? I never had this issue on the same trails with my old shoes that are almost 10 years old but they aren't ment for outside wear. I don't want to stop hiking or walking but i don't want to keep getting blister cause damn they hurt.

Maybe it's the choose but take a break for yor blisters to heal and get some bodygilde. It works wonders at preventing blisters. It's 9 dollars for a stick of it. It looks like a deodorant stick. You can get it online or at dick sporting goods and maybe find it at your local sports store
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Blisters are caused by friction and friction is a result of movement. Your feet are moving around inside your shoes due to a poor fit.

You should put moleskin over your existing blisters when hiking to allow healing.

Wear thicker socks or two layers of socks to achieve a tighter fit and less movement inside the shoes. I wear cotton socks for day to day use but always wear thick Smartwool socks for hiking.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Your shoes are definitely the problem. I had a similar problem years ago with a pair of hiking boots and would get blisters and hot spots anytime I hiked more than a few miles in them, and it was even worse on backpacking excursions. I used these, which helped somewhat, but they were kinda pricey and every so often they'd slip off my skin and would be a pain to re-apply.

Eventually, I bought a new pair of boots a few years ago and have yet to get a single blister while wearing them.

I'd highly recommend using sock liners inside your hiking socks- these wick away the sweat on your feet and will help to prevent blisters. Also, if you have one in your area, I cannot recommend going to REI highly enough. Even though their gear can be pricey, they have the best return policy and their salespeople are extremely knowledgeable.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Blisters suck. They're common with new shoes, but the longer they continue the more likely it is that the shoes are a bad fit and won't wear in...
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mayor_West wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend using sock liners inside your hiking socks- these wick away the sweat on your feet and will help to prevent blisters. Also, if you have one in your area, I cannot recommend going to REI highly enough. Even though their gear can be pricey, they have the best return policy and their salespeople are extremely knowledgeable.

Yes to liners (silk preferably with wool socks) and Yes to REI being knowledgeable. The shoes you have may just be a bad fit and though I hate to lose money, better that than raw feet you can't walk on. New hiking boots/shoes shouldn't be tearing your feet up.

I've never gotten a blister with sock liners. After hiking the Inca Trail, everyone on the train back was comparing their various blisters and foot injuries. No one in my family (all wearing liners and wool socks) had a single blister.
  • california_haley
    california_haley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I got moleskin. Started wearing two socks and got shoe padding to put in my shoes to hopefully cut down on any movement. And I'm going to take a break this week to hopefully heal my feet. If that doesn't help I'll be getting new shoes.