Anybody else suffering from the 40s metabolism slump?

Options
pez9375
pez9375 Posts: 59 Member
About three years ago, I dropped 40 lbs but put it right back on and then some. Now here I am starting again (lost 20 lbs with 30 more to go) and I'm finding it much more difficult to get the weight off. I'm eating right and exercising and the weight just won't come off! I've heard and read that once you hit 40, your metabolism crashes. Anybody else finding it difficult to get the weight off?

Replies

• carb21
    carb21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it a lot harder than i did in my 20's & 30's to lose the extra pounds. I started running and gained weight which put me right off. I'm in need of some motivation as really struggling??
  • Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and have lost 34 pounds since March 18th. Not too much trouble losing it, but sure seems like I gained it a lot faster!!
  • wdkeys
    wdkeys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also 46. I have noticed it's different losing weight now as compared to when I was younger. I have had to change things up a little more but the weight is coming off.
  • 5midlohoos
    5midlohoos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and it sure seems easier to gain the weight than lose it! I'm just starting on the road to lose 35 pounds! Good luck to all of you!
  • pez9375
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys! What type of exercises are y'all doing? I've been focusing on strength/circuit training but maybe I need to mix it up a bit
  • MimiMadrone43
    MimiMadrone43 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 43 and I am definitely having to work harder and make more sacrifices foodwise than I did in my 20's and 30's. It's so frustrating!! I'm eating SO much better, I've completely turned my diet around since April. I do regular cardio and use weights/resistance bands and I still look like a jiggly mess!! I read these 'success stories' in health and fitness magazines where they talk about how the pounds "just started falling off" and I want to scream!!
  • pez9375
    Options
    I know what you mean Mimi! I've been working at it since February and I'm not seeing the scale move much. But I am determined!!!! I turn 40 in a few months so that is a lot of incentive for me:)
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in January. I have lost about 35 since then. I have lost about 130 lbs in the last 18 months.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm pushing 41...no metabolic crash here.

I can't as easily maintain 8-10% BF like I could when I was in my 20s...but I'd say my metabolism is far from crashed. I dumped 40 Lbs pretty easily a couple of years ago and have little difficulty maintaining 12-15% BF.
  • pez9375
    Options
    Awesome losses guys! That gives me hope for sure:) Guess I just need to step up my game.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am 45. Tracking calories in vs out is working very well for weight loss. I am easily loosing weight doing this. My metabolism is just fine. It is my capacity to overeat that required attention.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    pez9375 wrote: »
    Awesome losses guys! That gives me hope for sure:) Guess I just need to step up my game.

In my experience, it's not so much that metabolism crashes as much as it is that people tend to move less as they get older. I'm not talking about just deliberate exercise either...movement in general. When I look back on my lifestyle just a few years ago, it is painfully obvious what the issues were and why I put on so much weight in my 30s...I sat at a desk all day, ate too much, didn't do much in the way of deliberate exercise, and then when I got home I sat around some more on the couch watching t.v. or playing video games or blogging, etc. Basically, I was on my *kitten* most of the time.

Deliberate exercise really does help and I'm more fit now than I was in my mid 20s...but really, in RE to my metabolism overall, the biggest benefits I've derived are from just more general movement...I used to watch tons of t.v. and loved video games...I maybe watch 1.5 hours per week now and I can't remember the last time I played a video game...I keep myself busy when I get home from work with a little yard work or cleaning this or fixing that as well as making dinner (primary family cook)...I make sure I take my dog for regular walks...I take the stairs at work always...I park further away from my office building, stores and shops, etc...I just move more in general which is what I did when I was younger.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm 45 and no crash here. However my metabolism* was horrible in my late 30s.

* If "metabolism" means "activity level."
  • pez9375
    Options
    Thanks HappyCampr1. My job is sedentary so Im sure you're right. Gonna start walking the dog more:)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    If you live long enough, you get older, haha.
    I'm 65 now and started on MFP on Memorial Day and weighed in yesterday. Down 8.7 pounds!
    Yes, it gets harder, so sometimes you have to get even more accurate when logging calories in and exercise. I always use my kitchen scale when logging food I make and its best to use a HRM when logging exercise.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the Ladies have different issues at 40 than the men. But that is just a guess.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, I went to a few BMR calculator websites and entered my information for my current age (60) and compared it to the results as if I entered my age as 25. It looks I like I need about 163 calories fewer now to maintain my current weight than I did 35 years ago. That's not huge, but I do need to be aware of it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and can't say it was any more difficult to lose weight now, than 8 years ago. But is seems to be easier to maintain this time, because I just eat what I like insted of diet food, but steer away from my triggers. (Oh, I hate having wasted years and moneys on that dry tasteless *kitten*.)
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and hit 40 in August. I've dropped 101 pounds since April of 2014 and have a sedentary lifestyle (office work).
  • amdawells
    amdawells Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    pez9375 wrote: »
    About three years ago, I dropped 40 lbs but put it right back on and then some. Now here I am starting again (lost 20 lbs with 30 more to go) and I'm finding it much more difficult to get the weight off. I'm eating right and exercising and the weight just won't come off! I've heard and read that once you hit 40, your metabolism crashes. Anybody else finding it difficult to get the weight off?

I'm 41 & I had the exact same issue when I turned 38. Although I had my three children by the age of 28, it was easy for me to lose the baby weight at a reasonable time with very little effort. In the past, thankfully, I never really had to watch my weight. At 5'4" I always fluctuated between 125-130lbs. (I also maintained this weight in high school while active in sports.) After turning 38 I noticed I was gradually gaining weight ... as I said before I never had to watch my weight. I didn't change my eating habits, I was just as active at 38 as I was at 28. I am, & still, always on my feet. I don't sit down much, I don't eat junk food & I don't drink pop. The only thing that I could attribute it to was my metabolism slowing down. Whenever I posted something such as this question, it seemed that 90% of the comments attributed my weight gain to over eating. It always frustrated me to see people commenting that I had to be gaining weight for a reason & it was assumed that it was due to food. Honestly, half the time I don't eat enough calories in a day. It's not because I want to "starve" myself either ... that's always been a comical response. If I'm not hungry I don't eat. It's that simple. I'm not going to force myself to eat either, I've tried that & I feel like I could hurl after.

Everybody's different & we all have different struggles. Not everyone loses weight the same, or gains weight the same. Find out what works for you! Whatever you choose to do as far as an activity, or working out, make sure you record your weight & measurements prior so you can track your progress. Find supportive people who share your same goals, weather it's family or friends, surround yourself with them. Stick to whatever you decide to actively make a change for yourself. In my experience with this weight loss journey, those few suggestions make a huge difference! I'm currently at the tail end of Insanity & my results have been outstanding! Since I've started the program I've lost 12 lbs. & 13.5". After I'm done in two weeks, I'll be starting on strength training. I'm not an expert by any means, I just know what has worked for me. So if you take any advice from what everyone has responded from your first question ... find what works for you & run with it! Good luck!