advice for gaining weight

Options
Im going on holiday in 3 months and i need some advice to get a little hicker so that i dont look like a stick ahaha! Any advice?

Replies

• nevemcloughlin01
    nevemcloughlin01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks i might look at that
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's really gonna come down to nutrition, even more than working out. First, you'll need to eat at a surplus - more calories than your body needs at maintenance. Depending on how much you want to gain and how fast will determine how much of a surplus you want to consume. 1 pound = 3,500 calories, if you want to be gaining about 1 pound a week, you'll want to be at about a 500 calorie surplus every day (500 calorie surplus per day x 7 days = 3,500 calories). If you want less, eat less; if you want more, eat more. However, you don't want to be gaining more than 1.5-2 pounds per week. Also, keep in mind that if you try to gain more quickly, more of it is gonna end up as body fat. Now body fat isn't a bad thing when bulking and you definitely want it, but the more you add on the longer it will take to get rid of when you start cutting.

For the workouts, you definitely want to lift heavy. Go for the 6-8 reps for your exercises. Those last few reps need to feel difficult. And since you're working a lot of the muscles out to the point of exhaustion (why nutrition is so important!), you'll need to work different muscle groups on different days. Don't go chest day back-to-back.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Go a head and shoot me a message and I'll help as best I can.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you want to bulk up then you have to.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

You'll have to try a little harder than that if you want to succeed.

Getting the training right. Committing to it consistently and long-term. Eating a set amount (even when you don't feel like it half the time). Making sure your sleeping is on point.

It takes work. More work than reading a simple, well written, explanatory article
  • nevemcloughlin01
    nevemcloughlin01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Getting the training right. Committing to it consistently and long-term. Eating a set amount (even when you don't feel like it half the time). Making sure your sleeping is on point.

It takes work. More work than reading a simple, well written, explanatory article

I was saying might because im a girl who is not looking to gain weight for bulking but to put a few pounds on so that i can look and feel better :smiley: thanks for the advice though.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

I was saying might because im a girl who is not looking to gain weight for bulking but to put a few pounds on so that i can look and feel better :smiley: thanks for the advice though.
    1. Girls bulk too.
    2. If you don't care where the weight comes from (i.e., whether it's muscle or fat), you just need to eat more than you burn. You'll just gain fat, but if you don't care, that's fine.