Working Out Postpartum

Options
I definitely know the ins and outs of working out after kids - with two of my own I was more prepared this time around than with my first. With my daughter I didn't even attempt exercise until I tipped the scales at 189 and knew I needed to make a change! Working out at home and eating right I lost more than 30 lbs in 3 months!

But that was only the beginning - while I was pregnant with my son I kept my weight in check and health better than ever and once again started my weightloss postpartum about 10 weeks ago - my son was born April 2nd and I got cleared early to begin resuming exercise and oddly enough my start weight was 189 lbs once again! In these 10 weeks I'm down to 165 lbs and still going! My baby boy is healthy and happy and so is mama!!

I wanted to know who else was working out postpartum and how well everything is going?? I am always in need of some support partners and would love to help anyone in need!

Replies

• fe786
    fe786 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Heulitt! My weight is exactly 189lbs now. I want to lose weight but never accomplished it.My baby was born 7 months ago.How did you lose 30 pounds in 3 months time.I have the same goal.So many similarities but you did it actually;Great!
  • fe786
    fe786 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My exercise plan is walking.Its going fine so far.But as such no difference could be seen.I lose 4-5 pounds and then regain it.How are you so determined?what was your exercise plan?
  • brittanynino351
    brittanynino351 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know it's rough to get and then stay motivated after having a baby! You just gotta set goals! I set a new goal every two months. My goals weren't just weight lose, they were running a full mile, 50 nonstop push-ups, stuff like that.. It helped me build confidence and strength and that kept me going along with my weight down! Good luck!
  • Heulitt26
    Heulitt26 Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love to set minor goals too! One of my first ones was just to be able to workout for my 30 mins a day without interruptions - i get up at 4:30 am everyday because it gives me extra time while my infant still sleeps and so does my 2 yr old. Then it was 30 mins for the entire 7 days a week (I workout from home which just makes it more convenient I don't need a sitter or to go anywhere, just my living room). I constantly have reminders tacked up about where i want to be - not so much how long it'll take me - but all of the positive motivation i need!! I made a fitness inspiration board to help me keep track of my progress.

I work out at home for 30 minutes a day, 7 days a week. I was able to return to exercise so quickly because I exercised throughout my pregnancy, up until my son was born I lifted that morning the day he was born at 9:30 pm haha. I think I'm a bit of a fanatic. My workouts compose a 21 day schedule, so I've done this particular workout 3 times so far and have lost 24 lbs with this pregnancy in just under 10 weeks. It's a mix of cardio with weights and simple weight lifting techniques at a faster pace. It's awesome i am so addicted I'm doing it again now - i started it today to see where i'll be in 3 weeks to begin something new!!

With my first pregnancy I didn't start working out til my daughter was a year old and I went back to my roots and lifted weights 4 days a week and did a mix of cardio and plyometrics on the others. I took off the baby weight from then in about 12-13 weeks or 3 months. I enjoyed every minute of it!!!

I really have to say a key role in getting so quickly back into shape this time around had to be my nutrition!! You can't out train a bad diet!

• brooklynette
    brooklynette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Kind of inspiring! I've got a 10 month old and a 3 year old and I'm just now finding a routine that works and trying to get into a groove. I've got 30 lbs to lose, which I racked up over the course of 4.5 years of fertility treatments and pregnancies. I thought I would do what I always do and run it off. But at age 41, and after these kids, Im finding that I need a more well rounded work out to keep injury free. I am doing crossfit 3 days/ week (because there is one on the next block) and I bike to work almost every day (1/2 hour each way). My diet is generally healthy and well intentioned, but I can really go off the rails with snacking and night eating. We have family sit down dinners but it's so chaotic getting everyone fed that I don't really get to finish my own meal. Then I think I can eat after the kids are in bed, but I just end up snacking and over doing it. So I'm being diligent about tracking and just discovering how much I'm over eating. Yikes. So let me focus my mini goals on turning the tracking into a habit, getting to my workout 3x week.
  • Heulitt26
    Heulitt26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Kind of inspiring! I've got a 10 month old and a 3 year old and I'm just now finding a routine that works and trying to get into a groove. I've got 30 lbs to lose, which I racked up over the course of 4.5 years of fertility treatments and pregnancies. I thought I would do what I always do and run it off. But at age 41, and after these kids, Im finding that I need a more well rounded work out to keep injury free. I am doing crossfit 3 days/ week (because there is one on the next block) and I bike to work almost every day (1/2 hour each way). My diet is generally healthy and well intentioned, but I can really go off the rails with snacking and night eating. We have family sit down dinners but it's so chaotic getting everyone fed that I don't really get to finish my own meal. Then I think I can eat after the kids are in bed, but I just end up snacking and over doing it. So I'm being diligent about tracking and just discovering how much I'm over eating. Yikes. So let me focus my mini goals on turning the tracking into a habit, getting to my workout 3x week.

a rule of thumb i use is to refrain from eating anything at least 2-3 hrs before bed, especially things like carbs or fruits - the complex sugars burn up quick with activity but tend to sit with lack thereof (like sleeping). hope that helps!