five finger running shoes?

Options
So what do you guys think about the Five Finger running shoes? Have any of you tried them? and are they a pass or fail?

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have the Vibrams, but I don't use them for running (bad knee). I use mine for weightlifting and boot camp. Love them! I know several people who do use them for running and swear by them. Be warned that you must break into them slowly for running, Even experienced runners start out with short jogs at first until the muscles in your feet get used to it. I believe there are several web sites dedicated to barefoot running that have pointers for breaking into them.

Several other friends use theirs for crossfit training. I've also used mine on the elliptical and really prefer them. Good luck!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Five Fingers for the win! I have two pairs of KSOs
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    One of my friends recommended the site www.birthdayshoes.com

I ran on my treadmill for a mile the other day barefoot, I loved it. I definitely want to try minimalist running shoes, not sure if I will try the five fingers or not, but I like the idea of the minimalist shoes :)
  • SavannaN
    SavannaN Posts: 148
    Options
    They are amazing! I have a pair and when ever I use them, it seems that I can run farther. and since I have been using them, my injury have been going away. If you strictly want running shoes, get the bikila, if you want one that you can use for many things, including running, get the KSO.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    I have them, I love them, and I run in them. You totally have to change your running form though. My dad is an ultra runner and runs in them too. They're not for everyone and I think I lot of the issues that people have had is due to people not using them properly.

Go to a store and at least try them on, they feel super cool.

I hope this helps and God bless :)
  • jdubsmuscle
    jdubsmuscle Posts: 67
    Options
    Thank you all!!!
    I'm soooo excited to try them. I think I will probably fall in love :-)
  • caterpillar2Butterfly
    Options
    are they good for us that are just starting out?
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    are they good for us that are just starting out?

Absolutely! Definitely read up on it and get information on the barefoot or minimalistic shoes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Very popular topic lately. Generally those who have em, love em. Biggest thing to look out for is too much too fast.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I wear mine casually. theree are lots of threads on this - my husband runs in his and loves them. But you have to break into them... Can't go right into your running routine in them right away....
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    for anyone interested in barefoot running, you should read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. awesome book.
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love them. I have a pair of Bikila and KSO. I run in them almost everyday. I just ran my first 8K in them this past weekend, did my Air Force PT test in them today, and will run a 5K in them on Monday.
  • nennajames
    nennajames Posts: 10
    Options
    I think it's great that you are going for it - if it inspires you it's worth it! Shine on!
  • jdubsmuscle
    jdubsmuscle Posts: 67
    Options
    Ok, I just purchased a pair - and they are awesome!!!!! LOVIN' THEM!
    Thanks for the feedback everyone and I'll be sure to break them in slowly