Can I lose weight eating real food butter, rice etc?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    I haven't cut out a single food item. I've mostly ditched butter, though. I just don't care for it all that much.

Do you hate kittens, too?

;)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I really need to lose weight as I am now over 16 stone. I am vegetarian and I have been investigating various diets and I am not crazy about any of them really. Most are low carb or low fat or rely heavily on processesd foods, many like paleo don't really suit a veggie. I like real food, I like butter and full fat dairy, I like cheese, wholemeal bread, keifer, brown rice, pulses, avocados and nuts. The cause of my weight gain is my sweet tooth the only processed food I eat is buscuits and cakes which I eat daily, large portions, I simply eat too much and total lack of exercise.

Researching diets it seems that the best for weight loss are low carb and low fat but nutritionally these aren't always the best because we need good fats in our diet in decent quanity and full fat dairy has loads of top quality nutrition Vitamin K2 for example in cheese. Also while I am fine with limiting carbs like bread, pasta and white potatoes more than I currently do I can't really see a problem with having some quinoa or brown rice with my evening meal or eating oats for breakfast.

Yes the cookies and the cakes do have to go, I need to use portion control and get some daily exercise as well as making sure I am getting a bit more protein especially as I intend to start strength training.

Am I crazy to think I can eat real, whole food as long as I cut out the sweets, watch my calories and exercise?

Bolded is the path to get started. Go with small changes like portion control or gong for 30 minute walk a couple times a week. Me, I eat what I like, just smaller portions of it.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out a single food item. I've mostly ditched butter, though. I just don't care for it all that much.

;)

At least it wasn't peanut butter getting the hate. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit is how you lose weight. How you achieve that Deficit is up to you.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too. I still eat full fat cottage cheese, 2% Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese, feta cheese, avocado, eggs, olive oil, almonds ... and cookies and ice cream... along with lentils and grains.

I just eat everything in the proper portions to achieve my weight loss goals.

Don't you think it makes the most sense to learn to eat the right amounts of the foods you love so that you can sustain a way of eating to maintain your weight loss? Dieting should never just be something you "do" and then "stop". Take the opportunity during the phase of weight loss to LEARN all about portions and the difference between what you think your body wants and what your body actually needs (in terms of calories).
  • bertobelle77
    bertobelle77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I think I am coming to that conclusion tonight that I just need to keep my calories down and then I eat what I enjoy and exercise is of course a biggie. It is just that you can get caught up in all the diet mythology, loads of my friends are doing Slimming World (UK thing) at the moment, they are losing weight but eating low fat processed garbage to achieve it, that is fair enough for them but I just couldn't face it. It would be nice to show it could be done another way!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Am I crazy to think I can eat real, whole food as long as I cut out the sweets, watch my calories and exercise?

I haven't cut anything out of my diet and have lost 24 lb.
    I still eat butter, full fat dairy, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, dessert. I eat less of some things.
    Just stick to your calorie goal. That is all you absolutely need to do for weight loss.
    Choose a way of eating that you can stick to for the rest of your life not a diet.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I think I am coming to that conclusion tonight that I just need to keep my calories down and then I eat what I enjoy and exercise is of course a biggie. It is just that you can get caught up in all the diet mythology, loads of my friends are doing Slimming World (UK thing) at the moment, they are losing weight but eating low fat processed garbage to achieve it, that is fair enough for them but I just couldn't face it. It would be nice to show it could be done another way!

If you'd like, click on my profile and read through my diary. It's public.

I'm older and shorter, so my calories are lower, but you'll see I still eat butter and stuff like that.

Lately I've been on a salad kick, but that's not always the case. I get in potato or pasta moods too!

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

;)

At least it wasn't peanut butter getting the hate. :)

Hahaha - I totally don't like peanut butter at all!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

You have a good plan that is going to work for you.smiley-happy026.gif

• blueiii31062
    blueiii31062 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's all about portion control and measuring those portions as accurately as you can. You can absolutely eat foods you enjoy! I try to eat the foods I enjoy and mix in a fair amount of things that are really good for me but might not be my first choice (some veggies etc.). Life is too short to eat things you don't enjoy!
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

;)

LOLLL!! IKR!

Btw my faith in the world just dimmed so much when I met the wife of a newly married friend who...hates kittens. Ironically he LOVES cats. Needless to say no more potlucks or visits to my house because she insists we meet in an animal free spot outside. :neutral:

His soul has since died. He visits cat cafes on the side after work every now and then and comes home late saying it was work. The treachery!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Not only can you eat regular food, but you should. The only way to maintain a weight loss comfortably is to make it easy to meet your nutritional needs
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love cats! Here's my Bubs:

tc469v88o01q.jpg

:p
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I eat butter, rice, potatoes, chocolate, wine and more pretty much every day.