Jillian Michaels 30DS/RI30

Options
I'm interested in switching over from Blogilates to doing Jillian Michaels' videos for the next month. However, I can't say I'm too enthusiastic about the idea of doing something like 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 where you are expected to do the same workout five, six, or more days (even 10 workouts) in a row. First, it seems like it would be a good idea to let the muscles rest a bit. Second . . . doesn't it get really boring?

Why does JM have you do the same thing for many days in a row?

Has anyone tried doing a different calendar, for instance alternating 30 DS and Ripped in 30, or other of JM's videos for variety? Is there any disadvantage to that, or any considerable advantage to pushing through and doing one video for the full 30 day program?

Replies

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I liked pushing through, because on the first days you get so sore but then it gets easier as you progress and you feel yourself getting better. When you start getting comfortable, you change levels. I always take a minimum of 1-2 days of rest per week. I've also done it while alternating a 30DS day with a spinning workout. Worked out well for me, too.

I found RI30 to be more challenging and interesting, although JM can get annoying in that one...
  • louisemccrea
    louisemccrea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good question! I'm interested in what others think about working the same muscles for ten days straight too. I have done the program and have seen good results (it would have been better if I ate better) but I'm curious if I would have gotten better results if I alternated more workouts.

I didn't think it was boring. Julian Michaels is not my favorite person but I like her workouts.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I loved the 30ds I saw great beginner results, that being said I did hate having to do the same thing every day for that long, and I definitely couldn't do it now after over a year of variety. I however LOVE her body revolution program, its different every day and the workouts change alltogether every 2 weeks. Not only did I not get bored I saw great results both with strength and endurance and in my appearance.
  • britebloomz
    britebloomz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done both 30DS and Rip30 and love both. 30DS has 3 levels and Rip30 has 4 levels. And yes, doing 10 days of each level of 30DS is boring. I think if boredom is a factor and you only want to try one of her dvds, then switch up the levels as you see fit. I powered through it the first time but I would not do only 1 dvd for a month again.

I have several other of her dvds and am seriously thinking about getting her new BodyShred program. I cycle through all the dvds that I have of hers at my whim to keep my workouts from getting boring and stale and that works for me. As I've gotten stronger and more fit, I increase the weights, pace and keep moving through the talking bit until they actually change the move. I really love her workouts as they are so effective for the 20-30-40 minutes you put in and she does recommend a rest day per week. I do her dvds 4-5x/week and at a minimum 3x. Rather than going by the scale, I would recommend taking before and after pictures-- wish I had done so.

I will say she does a lot of plyo so your knees might feel it in the beginning. Also, make sure to really stretch your feet and calves beforehand if you have had plantar fasciitis problems in the past. And if you are new to some of her movements then cool down and stretch for a longer time afterwards to mitigate any DOMS.

Good luck!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Body Revolution sounds like a good program, though I had understood that the first part might be a bit easy compared to the first level of 30DS. Is that the case?

Thanks for the advice about protecting my knees, etc. I'll have to wait a bit before doing her videos since I hurt my foot running, and now I can't really do anything high impact. Once I am better, I'm going to try alternating her videos. I've already done 30DS Level 1 three times, and I could feel I was stronger the third. I didn't really have any DOMS. I suppose that means either I need to push harder . . . or I've done pretty well stretching afterwards to prevent soreness.

I suspect that the greatest advantage for doing the same workout ten days in a row is that you learn all the moves very well, so you get efficient doing them as well as getting a bit stronger. 20-28 minutes isn't very long, so I suppose is OK to do the same thing day after day. But . . . still . . . I do think it would be rather dull quickly.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I have several other of her dvds and am seriously thinking about getting her new BodyShred program. I cycle through all the dvds that I have of hers at my whim to keep my workouts from getting boring and stale and that works for me. As I've gotten stronger and more fit, I increase the weights, pace and keep moving through the talking bit until they actually change the move. I really love her workouts as they are so effective for the 20-30-40 minutes you put in and she does recommend a rest day per week. I do her dvds 4-5x/week and at a minimum 3x. Rather than going by the scale, I would recommend taking before and after pictures-- wish I had done so.

I heard Body Shred is really hard. What do you use for weights? At this point, I only have 2, 3, and 5 lb hand weights. And 2 lbs is way too light (I used 5 lbs for almost everything the last time I did 30DS Level 1).
  • britebloomz
    Options
    Sorry to hear you hurt your foot. I have occasional feet pain problems, too, so I sympathize. Her dvds are pretty high impact so you definitely want to be fully healed before diving in. Hope you heal quickly.

Depending on the move, I alternate between 5 and 8 lbs, although I still use my 3 lbs for the anterior lunges with the arm raises (I really hate that move!). I'm getting to the point that I need to get some 10 lb weights if I want more muscle gain, which I do. And if the move is only using 1 weight, I'll use 2 of my 5 lb weights together if it fits comfortably in my grip and I can maintain good form. Because I alternate dvds, I think I've been able to use my hand weights longer since I have more variety of moves. I just know that I make adjustments in intensity and pace so that I'm breathing really hard and I'm dripping sweat, which is what she recommends in a couple of other dvds.
    I don't have Body Revolution so I can't tell you how it is. I'm more interested in her Body Shred because it's based on her 3-2-1 interval system like 30DS and Rip30 and I really like it the system.

I don't have bad DOMS either, just a slight burn which I like. But I've had a coworker who tried it and had pretty bad DOMS afterwards, but she was new to exercising.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Yeah, about a year ago I did a kickboxing class and got DOMS so bad that I could hardly stand, sit, or go up or down stairs. I managed to keep doing kickboxing for six weeks, and since then I haven't gotten DOMS that severely from any new exercise--most of which has been bodyweight or cardio oriented.
  • britebloomz
    Options
    I know how agonizing it can feel. That first episode is the worst!! Imagine when it's the entire body. I was sneezing and saying "ouch!"
  • Cheriels82
    Cheriels82 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have done 30 DS and body revolution just started week three of body shred.
    Amazing results with all of them and a real sense of accomplishment for the strength and cardio ability I have achieved after them. I would have died five min into body's heed if I hadn't done the others before but I found it challenging yet not impossible (even hit some of the advanced moves ).

As for body revolution first weeks it is easier than the rest (it gets progressively harder each two weeks VERY FAST so enjoy weeks one and two ), but in compensation grab heavier weights or do the advanced moves and you still get an amazing sweat on you could even do the kickstart which adds a round of cardio each day the first week (your body will definitely feel that ). It is EASIER but definitely not EASY per se, there will be moves you will struggle with and modify I am pretty sure
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like to do 30DS and RI30(I own both) but on my own schedule. Rather than level 1 for a week or 10 days, I challenge myself to do each workout once a week. For example: Mon-level1, Wed-level2, Fri-level3 and then the next week would be RI30 either M-1/T -2 and W-3/Th-4 or M-1, W-2, F-3, Sun-4 possibly with a different video on other days(like yoga Inferno) or a run/walk. I don't do any video several times in a row. It's too boring and the body needs rest and change.