That was disappointing

Options
I am 5'9" tall, I want to lose 30 pounds. I faithfully use my fitness pal. Eat proteins fruits and vegetables a very small amount of brown rice or bread. Drink at least six glasses of water a day. And I did not lose anything. Not even half a pound. I know the difference between empty calories and wasting your calories. 15 years ago I was a weight watcher leader I am somewhat familiar with what to eat and what not to eat. But sadly, my body has vastly change in the way it burns it off. I exercise probably three days a week. But I have an active job I do not sit in a chair all day. I stand behind one.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I have hit a wall and cannot lose weight. I refuse to be 30 pounds overweight and just accept it.

Replies

• Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You did not lose anything....over what time period?

What is your daily calorie goal, and have you been hitting it?

How do you measure your caloric intake?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Very helpful flow chart:

5v5lpk0w3022.jpg
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    We don't have enough information to help you? What is your calorie goal? Are you measuring your food accurately? How long have you been doing this? Open your diary and we will be able to help you.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    DedeBrewer wrote: »
    I am 5'9" tall, I want to lose 30 pounds. I faithfully use my fitness pal. Eat proteins fruits and vegetables a very small amount of brown rice or bread. Drink at least six glasses of water a day. And I did not lose anything. Not even half a pound. I know the difference between empty calories and wasting your calories. 15 years ago I was a weight watcher leader I am somewhat familiar with what to eat and what not to eat. But sadly, my body has vastly change in the way it burns it off. I exercise probably three days a week. But I have an active job I do not sit in a chair all day. I stand behind one.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I have hit a wall and cannot lose weight. I refuse to be 30 pounds overweight and just accept it.

Do you use a food scale? If not you may be eating more than you actually think.

How did you calculate your calorie goal?
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    You have to be eating more than you think you are. Weigh your food, track meticulously....reduce your daily calories if you need to. I will tell you after a lifetime of dieting (I'm 50) I am currently eating 1200 calories daily and losing at the blistering rate of .5 a week. BUT...it adds up and I feel great!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    You did not lose anything....over what time period?

What is your daily calorie goal, and have you been hitting it?

How do you measure your caloric intake?

I am very interested in the answer to these questions.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Accurately track what you are eating and what you burn, and give it time. It didn't go on overnight and it won't come off overnight.

If there's one thing I learned from this website and this whole process is it's not what you eat but how much of it you're eating. And there's no way to tell unless you accurately weigh and measure.

You said: I am somewhat familiar with what to eat and what not to eat.

There's nothing you shouldn't eat unless you are allergic or have sensitivities. This is one of the biggest things I think people get hung up on (I know it's why I tried and failed in the past). Don't worry about what you are eating at first. Just be concerned with how many calories overall you are consuming and make healthy choices throughout the week. Once you get past the "I can eat anything I want? Really?" part, you'll see how easy it can be to lose if you really want to.

I eat chocolate daily and I have pizza nearly every Friday. I had ice cream last night. I usually go out to eat every Sunday. You could say I don't always eat the healthiest foods (understatement of the year), but still I have lost 25 pounds since March 1. I do have a treadmill that I use daily, and I walk my dog every night, but mostly because 1200 calories a day isn't always enough for me, plus I was a couch potato for 10 years. I needed to get up off my duff.

Edited to ask: Your profile says you have lost 19 pounds. If that's true, you are doing something right!
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ditto with the food scale. I always have it out. When I was first starting, I had a notepad next to the food scale so I couldn't conveniently forget how much something weighed. Fried chicken is my weakness. I still eat it, but I now weigh it.
  • jgdb1
    jgdb1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys all answered with such helpful information. I realized I didn't give enough info to you. I have been doing this for 2 weeks. haven't lost anything. I am measuring everything but not weighing it. I stay at or below 1230 calories a day. MommyL2015~ I have not lost 19 lbs. that was incorrect, I had that fixed in my info.
    Troutsy~ I put my information in and it gave me a caloric goal for my age, weight and rate of loss that I wanted. (2lb a week). I know our bodies change as we get older but this is ridiculous.
    I recently went to a holistic Dr. who told me that I am pre-diabetic. I really need to shed these pounds.
  • CherylanneCorsini
    CherylanneCorsini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Possibly you've gained some muscle, that weighs more. I biked hard every day for the first two weeks before joining here and my legs felt firmer but the scales said I didn't lose a pound. I was crushed. Then the following 2 weeks I walked every single day (10,000 steps) and I lost 3 lbs.
    Stick with it.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Also, get a fitbit and sync. You may be very unpleasantly surprised about what you're burning, as I was.
  • elleelise
    elleelise Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Give it more time. Patience is the key.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jgdb1 wrote: »
    Wow, you guys all answered with such helpful information. I realized I didn't give enough info to you. I have been doing this for 2 weeks. haven't lost anything. I am measuring everything but not weighing it. I stay at or below 1230 calories a day. MommyL2015~ I have not lost 19 lbs. that was incorrect, I had that fixed in my info.
    Troutsy~ I put my information in and it gave me a caloric goal for my age, weight and rate of loss that I wanted. (2lb a week). I know our bodies change as we get older but this is ridiculous.
    I recently went to a holistic Dr. who told me that I am pre-diabetic. I really need to shed these pounds.

Stop measuring, start weighing and follow the flow chart
    Possibly you've gained some muscle, that weighs more. I biked hard every day for the first two weeks before joining here and my legs felt firmer but the scales said I didn't lose a pound. I was crushed. Then the following 2 weeks I walked every single day (10,000 steps) and I lost 3 lbs.
    Stick with it.

You think in 2 weeks, eating at a defecit with no progressive lifting programme that is even close to possible ...I'm sorry but there is no way this is muscle ...it could be water weight due to change up in exercise, but you aren't building muscle
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

2 weeks isn't too long, keep plugging away! If you are female your menstrual cycle might also be causing trouble give it time.
    Is this "holistic" Dr. An actual MD? Did s/he run blood tests? Sorry to have to ask but I've met holistic Drs who are legitimate Drs and some that'll try to heal you with crystals. Approach with caution!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Stick with it.

No. Gaining muscle does not happen in a calorie deficit except under very specific and limited circumstances. The OP does not meet the criteria.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Stick with it.

@CherylanneCorsini You have got to stop telling people they are gaining muscle...this is the 2nd time you've been corrected that I've personally seen in less than 2 days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

This is your problem, start weighing your food, as you're not in a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options
    First, 2 weeks isn't enough time; 4-6 is generally the recommended time frame for evaluation. Second, buy a food scale. It's much better for accuracy. And, can you open your food diary? The typical issues are inconsistent logging and accurate logging issues <-- already addressed that one.

And as a pre-diabetic, it may be beneficial to control your carbs (essentially, lower in favor of more protein and fats). And with 30 lbs to lose, you probably should be aiming for 1 to 1.5lbs per week.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you're still in the WW mindset of not tracking "zero point foods" that needs to change. Vegetables and fruits and spices etc all contain calories and that isn't factored into your deficit in MFP. So you'll need to weigh and track everything.