Healthy pizza that tastes like pizza?

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
I know this might be nearly impossible...

I keep finding recipes for healthy pizza, but they bear no resemblance to what I like in a pizza. I don't need it to be greasy or anything, just be made of bread, with some cheese, with a red sauce, and some meat on it.

Anyone have a somewhat healthy recipe?

Replies

• JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    The delite pizzas from Papa Murphy's are good. I'm not sure how "healthy" they are, but they are not as high in calories and fat at other ones. I'm a slave to the veggie pizzas, and I'm normally a huge pepperoni fan.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    try making it with wheat pita bread, pizza sauce, ground turkey, lowfat chesse, throw some veggies on there, turkey pepperoni is also a fave of mine, and voila'....u got healthy pzza....personal sized at that! And a wheat pita doesn't really taste any different from a regular pita btw....it's just healthier! Also, Boboli makes a wheat pizza shell that is SUPER YUMMY!!!!! Hope this sounds like something u may enjoy!!!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Digiorno makes a 200 calorie frozen pizza that is really good. It's a little like a flatbread, but delicious bread, sauce, and cheese.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I use flat out bread, sauce, cheese, pepperoni, Canadian bacon about 326 calories I have also put pineapple and olives very good
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something similar to this? Its the best I can do LOL!!

Healthy Life - Light Multi-Grain English Muffin, 0.5 muffin
    Ragu - Pizza Sauce Homemade Style, 1/8 cup
    Generic - Turkey Peperoni, 4 pieces
    Cheese - Mozzarella, part skim milk, 1 oz
    I Cant Believe Its Not Butter - Original Spray, 4 sprays
    Spice World - Minced Garlic, 0.5 tsp

Per Serving: Calories146 Carbs14 Fat 9 Protein11 Sodium387 Fiber 3
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    LEAN CUISINE PIZZAS FTW!

They have some good shyt.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just made a pretty tasty/yummy/real pizza for dinner tonight... even my caveman husband loved it :D Check my diary if you'd like--the crust recipe is from Eating Well website (I usually do 3:1 on the whole wheat to white flour and add only half the salt, so it's even healthier but tastes just as good). Hubs did say he'd like a tomato sauce next time, so I'll add that homemade, too... probably only add 40-50 cals total!

My recommendation--make if from scratch (I seriously did my whole pizza in 30 mins, including cooking, tonight!), use fresh herbs, and be sparing with the cheese and meats but heavy-handed on the veggies :bigsmile: Good luck!

PS--I do have a food processor, which helps cut prep time probably more than half! And I'll be able to make that red sauce from scratch, too. BEST. INVESTMENT. EVER.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Kashi has super yummy pizza. I like the mediteranean and the mexicali kind. Thin crust, whole grain, not processed and delicious. My roommate hates healthy food but she always eats this when i make it :)
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    You might hate this... but this used to be my "not so bad for me" pizza...

1 flour tortilla (whatever the healthiest one you have available in your area)
    1 TBSP Spaghetti sauce (or more if you like it saucy)
    1/8 cup shredded real cheese (or not)
    1/8 cup shredded vegan cheese (or more if you forgo the real cheese)
    Fresh Spinach, Mushrooms, Sun Dried Tomatoes (or whatever toppings you like)

I would just throw this in my oven's broiler and nosh. There is this one soy pepperoni I remember eating back in the day that was about a 1/4 of the fat/calories of real pepperoni that went really well on this too.

It's not delivery, but it's cheap and quite effective.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    i do it with no crust... :) my fav is "margharita" style... take dark red tomato dice up... chop up fresh basil... mix together... add garlic & other spices if u like ... turkey pepperoni, light sausage, chicken... whatever u want... cover w cheese in a shallow pie dish & bake until the cheese does that pretty golden thing... and yum... the crust is the worst part... full of oil & flour...

also look up crust recipes online... u might find a way to prepare a nice light one... if u do... share plz :)
  • haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    love papa murphy's delite take and bake pizza
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Take a calandra roll and slice it completely in half. Top them with a quarter cup of Don Pepino pizza sauce and a third of a cup of mozzarella cheese. Toast in the toaster oven. And, voila! :)
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    split an english muffin,put your fave sauce and toppings(i use sugar free ragu) and bake till melted/toasted. the family loves them ,similar to bagel bite pizzas and low cal,usually around 150 cal for 2 pieces. great snack or quick dinner and i use for appetizers too.
    3697427.png
  • Adrianamdelacruz
    Options
    I use Lavash bread or flatout flatbread, bake it in the oven to get it somewhat crispy then use fat free pizza sauce from trader Joe's, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, tomatoes any veggie and turkey pepperoni...if I want it extra cheesy, I throw a reduced fat string cheese in my magic bullet and then add that too :) yummy!!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Some awesome ideas! Way more than I expected so quickly! I will definitely look into these.

It'll be a meal for my family of four, so a Boboli whole wheat crust might be perfect.

Do I need to add olive oil like their site says? I assume that's not on there for the taste, but rather so it cooks right... thoughts?
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I like to take a thin slice of round artisan bread - sliced horizontally. Brush both sides very lightly with olive oil and toast in the oven (flip over after the top is getting a crunch. Then put on some pizza sauce (or make your own with tomato sauce and herbs and spices) put on the meat, veggies and cheese. Then I slice it into wedge shaped slices and eat it like a normal pizza.
  • NenaM812
    NenaM812 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a pizza fiend!!!! I don't know of any "healthy" pizzas (other than the ones from Lean Cuisine or Smart ones that I devour), but if you're looking for full flavors or something to eat for lunch, this is my FAVORITE:

1 Whole Wheat Mini bagle (I LOVE these, they're perfect size, and some are pre-sliced)
    1 spoon full (more or less if you want) of ragu sauce or your fav maranara or pizza sauce
    1 slice of ham or whatever meat you want (turkey pepperoni works great too), shredded and placed on the mini bagle
    And enough fat free mozzarella to cover the little bagel, or more or less, whatever works for you

Stick in a toaster oven or in the regular oven until toasty and cheese is bubbly! These are amazing. I don't have any calorie info, but you could plug it in to MFP with the ingredients you use and tailor it to your goals. You could also do this with regular sized bagels, but the little ones are just so cute, and they definitely help with the pizza cravings! Hope that helped!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I love pizza. I like to take a whole-grain tortilla and toast it in the oven for about 5 minutes, just until it starts to crisp. Then top with torn baby spinach, diced tomatoes, pepperoni, and a little mozzarella. I also sprinkle with black pepper because I like it. It's much healthier than "real" pizza, but satisfies that craving pretty well for me.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you're going to make it at home, get a pizza stone. That's the secret to a good crust, no matter what recipe you use.
    Try to find a dough recipe online using wheat flour- it's healthier and you won't even notice the difference.
  • lmarcia
    lmarcia Posts: 27
    Options
    Try making your own dough....whole wheat flour. It's very easy and you can change it up. If you want a honey wheat crust or just a garlic herb crust, it's the best.

Also try turkey instead of beef products. Turkey pepperoni, turkey/chicken sausage, grilled onions and a little sprinkling of goat crumbled cheese - it's delicious! More good protein less cheese! That will drastically cut your calories.