Grapefruit DOES burn fat! But.....

Options
According to new Britsh TV documentary I watched last night- scientific research in Isreal shows that the active ingrediant in graefruit DOES promote fat burning in cells.....

...but in order to get the benefit you would have to eat 40 in one sitting, yes 40! (plus any benefit would be negated by the huge sugar/ calorie & acid amount)

Of course, the lab is working to isolate and concentrate the active ingediant (nara-something or other)- to make a diet pill- so watch this space. In the meantime you always have CICO.

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    LOL, that'd be quite a breakfast!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Don't suppose there's any chance they sources the 'recent scientific research' is there

cos the last time I saw that was 2004

and I can't find anything on scholar google

and .. well .. UK documentaries .. LOL
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I loathe grapefruit.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    I loathe grapefruit.

Same. Even if it DID burn fat in any capacity, I would NOT eat it.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    [Puts Pharmacology graduate hat on]!!!!! - The actual chemical is naringenin. It's long been isolated, and there is plenty of in vitro tests done that prove it is a 'fat-busting' chemical - it's basically a free-radical scavenger. So, there is solid scientific evidence for the chemical itself, the documentary was just saying all these grapefruit diets can't possibly be actually relying on grapefruit consumption for their weight loss success, because you'd need to consume 5000 calories of grapefruit, in order for your body to accumulate the necessary concentration of this chemical, in your blood stream! So, somewhere there is a grain of truth in these people who claimed grapefruit was a superfood - it's just that the science proves the theory doesn't hold up to the diet plans that Gwyneth, Kylie and co claim caused them to lose weight!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Even if it deducted 200 calories a day, I wouldn't eat it. Ick.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    Options
    I know - I find them horribly sour. But my mum can eat them easily - she's one of these weird people who can eat lemons and suchlike, and not pucker up with the sourness. She is part of the section of the population who's genetic makeup allows them to eat very bitter food unaffected - I'm SOOO not!
  • dizzieblondeuk
    Options
    BTW, on the subject of bitter tasters - I remember reading a study that postulated the reason for some people's predisposition to high sugar foods was, in part, as a consequence of this particular gene. It provided one theory why certain people are overweight, and struggle to lose weight - as a consequence of them finding it much harder to eat more bitter (and lower sugar containing) foods). Just a theory, of course! ;)
  • debyweby1970
    debyweby1970 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes i watched it too. i'm not a fan of grapefruit either.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    5000 calories of grapefruit. LOL.

I'm the only one weighing in on this who likes grapefruit?
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love grapefruit but would struggle to eat 40 :)
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I love grapefruit but only with a spoonful of sugar sprinkled on top, which probably negates any fat burning properties, if they even exist.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit and yoghurt is my favourite breakfast. 40 of them though?! Too much even for me
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Well THAT would be counterproductive.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like grapefruit juice... if it's the ruby kind, pulp free and mixed with gin.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like grapefruit juice... if it's the ruby kind, pulp free and mixed with gin.
    Snort!
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Snap. Saw that as well. And kale helps keep your sight healthy for an extra few years by stopping the cones and rods in your eyes from deteriorating. As do kiwi, spinach and eggs. Don't like the idea of the German way of eating kale though, cooked in sausage fat for hours.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    5000 calories of grapefruit. LOL.

I'm the only one weighing in on this who likes grapefruit?

I love grapefruit <3
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Even if it deducted 200 calories a day, I wouldn't eat it. Ick.

I'd see a doctor about that issue.