I've decided to quit Weight Watchers.

Options
kyrannosaurus
kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been attending Weight Watchers meetings for the last 3 months. The entire time I haven't been following the ProPoints program because it makes more sense to be as accurate as possible and count actually calories here rather than count a simplified points system (and their app is terrible!)

I was only attending the meetings so I'd be accountable to an actual person each week. I've been smashing my weight loss goals and have come to realise a lot of the stuff WW teaches is pure nonsense and they are really just trying to profit as much as possible and not help their members. So it's time to continue losing weight by holding myself accountable to myself.

Replies

• rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congrats on seeing the light! Weight Watchers had me in their grips for 4 years! Yikes! I did lose 100 lbs with them, but I always would stop at 180 and then go back up while following the plan. I quit in March and have lost every week since then. Their unlimited fruit is a load of horse poo.
  • ModaVita
    ModaVita Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to find a system that works for you, and it looks like you have. Fantastic! I've seen WW be successful with lots of women I know. But in the end, whatever makes healthy sense for a lifetime is the best choice.
  • eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've never done it but have friends that are doing it. They don't seem to be losing much. That's ok but they all seem to have a ton of points and I don't get the unlimited fruit and veggies. Do fruit have zero calories for them? Do they explain that?
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    eved305 wrote: »
    I've never done it but have friends that are doing it. They don't seem to be losing much. That's ok but they all seem to have a ton of points and I don't get the unlimited fruit and veggies. Do fruit have zero calories for them? Do they explain that?

Yep, fruit has zero "points". The logic is that it will encourage people to choose fruit whereas if people had to count the points for it they might choose to spend those points on something less nutritious instead. So now you can eat your "zero point" fruit AND spend the points on junk.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the fruit part, but most veggies are very low in calories so hard to overeat on. Also if you obese the calories from fruit/veggies is going to have such a small impact. But has way bigger impact of close to your goal. Also they probably want people to eat their fruits and veggies so if they assigned a point value to them some people may not want to "waste" their points on it.

I don't know approx 1 point equates to in calories, but even if they assigned 1/4 point to fruit/veg to get people to realize it really isn't free
  • alone_aqua
    alone_aqua Posts: 28 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Agreed. I definitely think if you are starting from ground 0, WW can be a great way to learn the basics of nutriton, do's, don'ts and how to make choices. However, it's like all things- the closer you get to reaching your goals the higher the intensity required. It may no longer be enough to eat 5 servings of fruit and take on dozens of grams of sugar when you've only got 5-15 lbs. left to lose.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Because of the fruit problem some member do one of two things; switch to the older momentum program which counted points for fruit and vegetables, or the double track by counting points and calories. Double tracking is a waste of money in a way if you believe in CICO. Calorie counting is free and Watcher Watchers is not. Although, double tracking helped me see the light with my problems with Weight Watchers.
  • eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    T
    So now you can eat your AND spend the points on junk.

This is so what I was thinking reading the response. They did not think this through.
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    HeatherCrazyCat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Awesome news, kyrannosaurus!
    I hope that using MFP instead continues to work well for you.
    I don't attend slimming clubs because they're far too restrictive for someone with dietary requirements (I'm a lacto vegetarian) - making my own choices and holding myself accountable for making the right ones is far more fulfilling :-)
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think Weight Watchers is a great program (I lost 70 lbs years ago on the Flex Points - I think that's what it's called) but I've tried going back a few times since and it just doesn't click like CICO has. So much is free now (fruits and veggies) and I think that does hinder people at times.

Your profile pic looks amazing! Congrats on your progress so far!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I also am a former WW member. I lost 50 pounds years ago when fruit was *not* free. Although, back then I would often not count the points for one apple as an afternoon snack, so I guess I was ahead of the game. lol...

I still don't think the calories in one apple will set anyone back. But -- the way the "free fruit" thing is misleading is when people do things like make a smoothie with two bananas, strawberries, and a bunch of miscellaneous frozen fruit. Then they don't count calories for that. But that would be quite a few calories that aren't recorded and if a person is closer to their goal those smoothie calories could be doing some damage.

I did like the accountability of weighing in at meetings, and it worked much better for me than WW Online did. But at this point in my life, with two kids in college :o I just didn't want to pay for that. But for some reason I seem to have more motivation this time all on my own, so MFP has been great. :)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I was also a member in the past for a brief period of time but quit when they suggested that I stop lifting weights so I can lose muscle and therefore lose weight on the scale - no thanks!!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I was also a member in the past for a brief period of time but quit when they suggested that I stop lifting weights so I can lose muscle and therefore lose weight on the scale - no thanks!!

Ugh - well, sure. And if I sheared off all of my hair, I could lose a few ounces - but it wouldn't make me look or feel better.

I think WW is a decent tool for those going into it without a clue (assuming they have money to burn on it). It can teach the fundamentals of staying accountable, how to lose at a healthy rate, and introduce the basics of portion management. As far as its impact on the body, I don't believe there are any of the unpleasant side effects that are in so many other "diets" either.

I just think for someone who has already been measuring by CICO and has played the game more than once (like many of us), it's a huge waste of money and a bit of a waste of time.
  • JRitaK
    JRitaK Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I seriously cringe to think how much money I have wasted on WW since I was 17 years old. I restarted their program four times. FOUR. Then I discovered MFP, which is FREE, and have pretty great success in the past 6 months. WW helped me most the first time I did it. After that? I just wasn't dedicated and I was throwing money down the drain continuously. At least with MFP if I slack off I'm not wasting money.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have never done WW, so I don't want to be judgmental about it and I'm sure the program has worked for many people. But it seems that assigning points to food and making losing all about points, prevents a person from learning about nutrition, which includes understanding calories, macros and micro nutrients.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I still don't think the calories in one apple will set anyone back. But -- the way the "free fruit" thing is misleading is when people do things like make a smoothie with two bananas, strawberries, and a bunch of miscellaneous frozen fruit. Then they don't count calories for that. But that would be quite a few calories that aren't recorded and if a person is closer to their goal those smoothie calories could be doing some damage.

I think it's because you're given (my sister told me this) say 26 points which equates to 1040 calories, so you're under the recommended 1200 thus even if you don't count fruit n veg you're unlikely to be *that much* over.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have never done WW, so I don't want to be judgmental about it and I'm sure the program has worked for many people. But it seems that assigning points to food and making losing all about points, prevents a person from learning about nutrition, which includes understanding calories, macros and micro nutrients.

As above, it also causes confusion with regards to nutrition content of fruits and veggies. The number of people who come here on MFP after doing WW saying things like "fruit and vegetables have no calories" because they are 0 points in WW.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW to MFP due to two things: (1) cost and (2) WW’s crappy website and app. I got tired of paying for tools that worked only part of the time.

The program itself is great. I had no problem losing with the “free” fruit. Maybe because there is no such thing as “free” fruit. People who work the program that way are doing it wrong. Nowhere in the materials does it say that fruit is free and you can eat as much as you want. It says that fruit is zero points and should be eaten in moderation/to satisfaction. If people want to gorge themselves on watermelon and then blame WW because they’re not losing….. *shrugs*.
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did WW, online only - no meetings, five years ago & lost 70 lbs in 6 months. While I was successful at losing weight & still maintaining to this day, it wasn't a lifestyle that I wanted to commit to. After many trials & errors, I have finally adopted a lifestyle that works for me.

Good luck on your new adventure! :)