Strength Training Exercises?

Options
remaho80
remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
I don't have a gym membership, so I need something that I can do at home. I want to get all my muscles toned up so I'll have a nice toned body for when I shed the fat layer! Can anyone give me suggestions of things I can easily do at home? Preferably exercises that will work multiple muscle groups!

Replies

• JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michel's 30 days shred!!!! Or any work out dvd by her is amazing. She has some general ones, some that focus on abs, etc. But even her weightloss ones focus on toning as well!
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest picking up a copy of Weight Training for Dummies. Covers all the basics, and gives you exercises for each muscle group that you can do without gym equipment; instead you can use your body weight or dumbbells, which aren't too pricey to start off with. Good luck!
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about Jillian Michel's 30 days shred. I've also heard that Jackie Warner's Xtreme Timesaver Training is really good. It was reviewed as one of the top DVD workouts by Fitness magazine a few months ago and supposedly burns 255 calories in a 30 minute workout of your whole body. I actually just ordered it a few days ago.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about Jillian Michel's 30 days shred. I've also heard that Jackie Warner's Xtreme Timesaver Training is really good. It was reviewed as one of the top DVD workouts by Fitness magazine a few months ago and supposedly burns 255 calories in a 30 minute workout of your whole body. I actually just ordered it a few days ago.

Please let me know how you like it and/or how it lives up (or doesn't) to its claims if you have a heart rate monitor?
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Womens Health Magazine's website has a slew of printable "at home workouts" available for free. Ditto for Oxygen Magazine. And -bodyweight exercises in circuit format can be a kick butt workout, no equipment needed! Think squats, crunches, burpees, plyometeric jumps, lunges, pushups, jumping jacks, mountain climbers... do those in circuits and you'll be huffing and puffing!

:)
  • JCGilbert
    JCGilbert Posts: 33
    Options
    I bought the Power 90 (not to be confused w/ P90X) workout DVD's. I LOVE them. I was always interested in P90X from the info-mercials, but knew it would be too hard. The Power 90 is like a starter version. Very Do-able. Maybe look to your public library to borrow fitness DVD's, or try On Demand if you have that option on cable.
  • caseygrimley
    Options
    Here's what I did, at my office there is a personal trainer renting some space and he's got a YouTube channel that had a bunch of circuit training videos that he's posted for clients and for general use. so I watched a bunch of them and picked the workouts I could do at home with dumbbells, exercise ball, band and a weight bar.
    I have 3-4 groups with 3-4 exercises in each group and I'll do 3 sets for each group. This is what this personal trainer does for his boot camp.

His YouTube channel is agagestein, he's a great trainer.

My arms workout looks something like this:

Group 1 (3 Sets)

- Bench Dip - 15
    - Pushup w/Wave - 10
    - Bent Over Row - 12
    - Hang Clean - 12
    - Romanian Dead Lift - 12

Group 2 (3 Sets)

- Back Flys w/band - 10
    - Kettlebell throw ups - 10
    - Band Triceps - 15
    - Bar Curl - 12
    - Shrugs - 15

Group 3 (3 Sets)

- SB Push Ups- 15
    - SB Bench Press - 12
    - Pull Ups - palms in - 5
    - Pull Ups - Wide - 5
    - Pull Ups - palms out - 5

Group 4 (3 Sets)

- Band Deltoids - 10
    - Bar Curl w/Press - 8
    - Inverted Pull Ups - 8
  • exp_lauren
    exp_lauren Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you tried searching the internet? For example, acefitness.org has an exercise database and some workouts --- check out the 'Ace get fit' tab. I also have a website bookmarked somewhere that shows you dumbbell exercises for different muscle groups.