Protein Shake for breakfast?

Options
MissAmyx
MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
Hello

Would it be a bad idea to start the day with a protein shake? Like a pre-made one? I struggle to both eat much food in the morning and get enough protein throughout the day so I thought this might be a good way to deal with the two things at once.
Would this be a bad habit to get into?

I just don't want to be one of those "milkshake" diet people but yeah i find quite often my breakfast consists of just coffee/tea and then nothing else until lunch eating food in the morning just makes me feel icky i thought perhaps a protein shake would be a bit more substantial

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good idea. Do whatever helps you reach your goals. smiley-happy088.gif
  • roblawton
    roblawton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but surely something is better than nothing.

I'm the same, struggle to eat breakfast and usually just grab a coffee when I get to work.

Since I've been using supplements I do the same, protein and oats in the morning before I leave!
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Not a bad habit at all - when I was cutting hard, I had a 2 scoop protein shake with skimmed milk for breakfast. As I started to slow down with cutting, i started adding in a scoop (or a half) of oats, which kept me going til lunch.

Get yourself a big bag of whey rather than pre-mades as it will be a lot cheaper.

And don't think this compare to slim fast or any other crap - slim fast has 26g of sugar a bottle. It is not a well balanced option; it's just a way of limiting calorie intake.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It depends. You don't have to have breakfast just to have breakfast. I don't regularly eat "breakfast" until noon. I personally found that forcing myself to eat breakfast just for the sake of it switched on my appetite for the day and made me hungrier throughout the day. Do what's best for you.

In answer to your other concern, of course it's okay to have protein shakes to supplement your protein intake!

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a bunch of egg whites in the morning, but when I don't, I make a protein shake. I like to start the day off with a big dose of protein. Makes it easier to hit my protein goal for the day in case I have a low-protein lunch or dinner. Pre-made shakes are more expensive than powder, and may be high in sugars as others have noted, so check the label before you buy.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, it's perfectly fine. I drink one everyday.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There is no right answer for how much you should eat, or what you should eat for breakfast. If a protein shake fits your lifestyle and goals, go for it!
  • MissAmyx
    MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys! :)
    It's nice to post a question on here and get actual answers not just people saying 'no no no!'

I just find that on the days where i have to go to work early i either go without food which makes getting through work a struggle and then i have to fight not to just binge on anything to make the hunger go away or i eat in the morning and feel bloated and gross all morning.

I'm new to the whole supplements/vitamins game and yeah I just didn't want to start turning into one of those "liquid meal" dieters :wink:

I went to the supermarket today and i was kind of completely overwhelmed by the amount of different kinds of powder there actually was! I'll have a bit more of a look into it, that is the better way to go in the long term the shakes i've got now are Musashi protein pre-made drinks they were on special and i thought i'd give them a go they're tasty but yeah to keep it up would cost me a damn fortune!

thanks again :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's my staple for breakfast during the week and has been for well over a year and a half. Sometimes on the weekend I'll enjoy a yummy egg omlet filled with veggies though. Delish! I don't have time to cook during the week though (in the mornings) and my shake is much easier and low cal. :smile: Works for me!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your goals, then why not? Careful with pre-made protein shakes, though. Protein shakes should be mostly protein and very little carbs or fat (unless you need the carbs and fat too). I found the pre-made protein shakes to be filled with stuff I didn't need, so I always opted for protein shakes I made myself with high quality whey protein powder. There are affordable ones out there, like Optimum Nutrition, Cellucor, or even Body Fortress from Walmart.

If you're not hungry in the morning, there's no need to eat breakfast. Meal timing is irrelevant. However, if you find yourself feeling bad later in the day because you didn't eat, then I'd say definitely get something on your stomach if you can. And if you're having a hard time reaching your protein goals, a protein shake makes a lot of sense.

Having one protein shake per day doesn't make you a "liquid meal" dieter. If you're drinking shakes as a replacement for 2+ meals a day, then maybe there's an issue. But some people do it. I prefer to chew my calories, so I use whey to make pancakes in the morning post-workout.
  • jrdutton
    jrdutton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is all I have for breakfast. I've found I feel better starting my morning with protein collared to anything else.
  • Meranda29
    Meranda29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a vanilla plant-based protein that I mix with coffee and ice in the morning for breakfast. It's delicious and feels like a decadent treat. I'm finding it keeps me happy until lunch time.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    MissAmyx wrote: »
    Hello

Would it be a bad idea to start the day with a protein shake? Like a pre-made one? I struggle to both eat much food in the morning and get enough protein throughout the day so I thought this might be a good way to deal with the two things at once.

I just don't want to be one of those "milkshake" diet people but yeah i find quite often my breakfast consists of just coffee/tea and then nothing else until lunch eating food in the morning just makes me feel icky i thought perhaps a protein shake would be a bit more substantial

It's what got me through a couple months after surgery. It was easy, I could do it by myself, I live alone, and it didn't upset my stomach. I just put the milk and powder in a jar with a blender ball and shook and drank.

I'm also not much of a breakfast person, but I've started adding plain gelatin to my coffee to add a little protein.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    MissAmyx wrote: »
    Hello

I take 2 scoops of protein every morning. I usually still eat a banana and oatmeal for breakfast but usually not for another hour or two after the protein.