Wanting to start my weight loss journey

Options
so im finally at a point where its either loose weight and become healthier or keep going down hill with more and more medical issues. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea about two years ago and never took it serious. Recently i came across a chart that showed the affects of having sleep apnea and everything listed is all bad. The one thing that scares me the most is one of the things listed said 30% chance of dieing in sleep. I wouldnt want my kids to find me dead one morning in my bed. So im looking for some friends to add for some motivation and healthy food ideas. Thats the hardest thing for me is learning how to eat healthy.

Replies

• travisdaugherty
    travisdaugherty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congratulations on the next step. You can add me if you like.
  • corryigo
    corryigo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Get a digital food scale, Log in here every day and log your food to stay under your calorie count, and remember this crap is hard so look to your MFP friends for support. When you have your bad days and eat too many calories, Do not get upset or worried we all do it, some more than others. Most important the only way you can fail is if you quit. Added you.
  • babylub
    babylub Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Everyone has their own journey.. But we all want the same thing...to lose weight and get heathy.. A support system is great! Add me if you want to..I need support as well .
  • red_90
    red_90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One thing I'm trying to remember, one bad food choice doesn't mean I should throw in the towel for the whole day, week, month. Just add it to the diary and move on, chances are that 1 food choice won't be a problem, it's the next 24 hours of eating badly because "I'll start again tomorrow" that causes the problems.

Feel free to add me, I'm near the start of my journey.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My husband has been treated for sleep apnea for the last 4 years. The CPAP really helped! He got his energy back, no more mood swings and insane food cravings. That combined with a balanced nutrition and daily exercise, he's lost 30 lbs.

Feel free to add me. I log everyday and I log everything I eat!
  • bevee28
    bevee28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like. I was in the same boat. You can do it!
  • Shanahoo
    Shanahoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting your journey! Sleep apnea is no joke! My dad had severe sleep apnea for YEARS that he never took serious... until 1.5 years ago when he had to have emergency heart surgery for an aortic dissection. We found his condition by accident and it is so scary to think how close I was to losing my father forever. Getting healthy for your kids is a great thing!

My one piece of advice is to immediately go take some "Before" pictures and your measurements. I'm sure the majority of successful people on this site will tell you that their number one regret is not having good comparison photos from the VERY START.

Good luck!!
  • corryigo
    corryigo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Logging is important, I am very honest with my logging because I may lie but my body will not. Even the days I drink waaayyy to much beer :)
  • jaimefam123
    jaimefam123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. So its time to do this.. Day one starts today.