Fasting

Options
hey guys, I've lost 9 kg for a good 6 months now, and im really happy with my results, right now im currently trying to maintain my weight, I'm fasting for a day, not as a diet but as a Christian due to my believes religiously. And I was wondering. Will that ruin my metabolism and crash it? I've always heard your body goes on starvation mode and holds onto fats so will I gain weight after the fast? Advice please and add me as well =) always happy to have more company with me in this lifestyle of mine to be healthy

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going to happen to you fasting for one day. Starvation mode doesn't even exist in that way, but even if it did it would take a lot longer than a single day to kick in! The human body is designed to cope with situations like this, that's why we put on fat in the first place.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    Options
    How many times a year do you fast?
    When you fast, is it a total fast, or are you excluding specific items from your diet on that day while continuing to eat other food?
    When you fast, do you intake liquid calories? For example milk, or juice?
    How long do the fasts last?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There is no starvation mode. There is however metabolic adaptation and one day of fasting is not going to cause it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    There is no starvation mode. There is however metabolic adaptation and one day of fasting is not going to cause it.

IIRC, it takes 72hrs + of 0 calories for it to occur. The one thing that may happen, is you may have a crappy workout that day, if you plan on exercising.

• AldrinYeo
    AldrinYeo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Will I lose muscle? I still drink water, I just don't eat for 24 hours once every certain weeks now.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    There was a blog post fecently on MFP about this topic. And it even promoting the benefits of fasting ( dunno how true they are for everybody). It's Ramadan and we're fasting for a month. So far I'm doing good even though I'm only in week 8 of my journey. Also, I doubt you fasting once every so often would have the huge impact that you might think or anticipate will happen.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fasting is actually good for you as long as it doesn't go for more than 2 days in a row. Foodwise, you can get the same benefits of fasting by restricting eating to 600-650 cal (45% carbs, 30% fat, 25% protein). Just make sure your nonfast days contain healthy eating. And drink lots of water on fasting days!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    AldrinYeo wrote: »
    Will I lose muscle? I still drink water, I just don't eat for 24 hours once every certain weeks now.

I thought this was for religious reasons?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I thought this was for religious reasons?
    I'm not sure why those statements would be inconsistent.

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    24 hours of fasting will not cause muscle loss. Make sure your weekly calorie intake takes the fasting day into consideration. Also, make sure you are doing a resistance training program and getting in adequate protein for the week.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would point out that you don't need to make the same post in multiple sections of the forum. I answered you elsewhere.
  • KhanChristina
    KhanChristina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Salaams Sister! How's it going? I am continuing to lose, only at a slower pace. Last 30 days (including the last 2 weeks fasting) lost 6 lbs and 4 inches. In the previous 30 days (fasting only 2 days/week) I lost 11# and 9 inches. You can do it! Keep it up. Ramadan will be over before we event realize:)
  • skin__thin
    skin__thin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is sooo interesting I didn't know your body goes into starvation mode after 72hrs (0 calories..) this post is really triggering for people with eating disorders. I've never had the strength to fast for weeks on end like some people can, but knowing people who have healthy diets do fast as well kinda is reassuring. What I usually do is restrict my calories by half, to about 500-600 so I would eat really well during the day, but skip dinner at night. :)