Need ideas for hummus snack?

Options
UMDavies
UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
Hi everyone :)

So I've started having some carrots with 50g low-fat hummus as my 3pm snack at work. However, two days in and I'm having trouble - it turns out I hate raw carrots! I love them cooked so thought I'd be fine with them raw too, but it's something about the texture... I just can't handle it :(

So does anyone have any tips/ideas for what would be best to dip in my hummus?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Sliced cucumbers, pita chips, celery sticks, bagel chips, wheat thins.....
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    sugar snap peas
    sliced bell peppers

It may also be worth trying baby carrots if you've not already done so - the texture is not so hard so you may prefer them.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't much like 'baby carrots' but I like the carrot chips.
    Sliced green peppers would be nice too. Do you like raw broccoli? Snap peas?

Oh and side note: Are you buying store bought hummus? It's so darn easy to make.

ETA: @KarenJanine Haha totally on the same page!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    bell pepper, radishes, raw zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, snap peas. I'm more of a "what CAN'T i put hummus on" type, though.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I like carrots with my hummus but celery is good too. Oh and you know those small colorful peppers you can get in a bag in the produce section? Those are great with hummus because the peppers are lightly sweet, not the bitter taste that sometimes green bell peppers have. If you like raw mushrooms, baby bellas are good with hummus too.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - going to give the peppers and sugarsnap peas a try! @AlisonH729 I have been getting hummus from the shop but I'm looking up recipes right now, as I just bought about a million tins of chickpeas (they were on offer!) so I could do with using them up!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Red bell peppers, spread on a low carb tortilla, wasa cracker, water cracker, snap peas, cucumber, celery, spoon.
  • MoCo88
    MoCo88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really like apple slices with hummus. One apple with 2T hummus makes a really satisfying snack under 200 calories. My friend thinks it's weird, but I really like the sweet/savory combination.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers and bell peppers are what I like best with hummus/dips
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Another thing to do with canned chickpeas is to spice them and put them in the oven for a crunchy snack. There are a million recipes out there for them--I haven't done them myself, but I've eaten them and they're pretty good.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I suppose the actual recipe is a little more complicated, but I make mine with sesame oil, lemon juice, garlic power & some salt and just wiz it up in the food processor. The sesame oil stands in for the tahini. It also cuts down on the amount of olive oil I use, since that's where the bulk of the calories comes from (sometimes I don't use any, and use the liquid the chick peas are packed in to adjust the consistency instead). You can pop the chick peas out of their husks for creamier hummus, but you don't have to.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Zucchini slices are my favorite.
  • Zaahza
    Zaahza Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    UMDavies wrote: »

So I've started having some carrots with 50g low-fat hummus as my 3pm snack at work. However, two days in and I'm having trouble - it turns out I hate raw carrots! I love them cooked so thought I'd be fine with them raw too, but it's something about the texture... I just can't handle it :(

Can you cook your carrots and enjoy warm or cold with your hummus?
  • Zaahza
    Zaahza Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Zaahza wrote: »
    UMDavies wrote: »

/quote]
  • ambersanford204
    ambersanford204 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers, broccoli or cauliflower. I make black bean hummus at home and LOVE it with the veggies I mentioned.