Neck pain & cardio

Options
I woke up with the stiffest neck (as in I can't look up or sidewaya) and it still hurts. I still want to get my work outs in, though. Logically I would assume working out would help circulation and help my muscles loosen. Anyone ever have this problem? Thoughts?

Replies

• gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Use a warm towel on your neck, muscle rub if you have it. Skip the workout. Getting a serious injury isn't worth it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You should talk to a doctor first. Doing rear delt flyes with 3 lb weights does wonders for my trapezius pain, which makes it hard to turn my head.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I had that problem several times related to my pillow. I changed it into a softer one, and I'm way better now. I agree with the poster above, you may need to skip the workout
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a genetic disability. My neck is perfectly straight, of course it's not supposed to be. I have 3 pillows I rotate between. Each one is vastly different from each other. But if my neck is too stiff or hurts to move then I don't do much more than watch tv. Take it from a person who has to struggle to walk up a flight of stairs, an injury isn't worth the few calories you will burn.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I have the straight neck problem too, and sleep with it draped over a rolled up towel. No one has ever said that I can't exercise when it hurts, and working my upper back, gently, with strict form, especially my rhomboids (which squeeze the shoulder blades together) helps immensely.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    You should still check with a doctor. I had some x-rays to figure out what was going on when my neck started hurting. You don't want to exercise if what you actually have is something involving your discs, for example, or a cracked vertebra.

In my case, things like driving and using a computer overuse my chest muscles, while overstretching my back and neck. Therefore, working my back strengthens it, and helps to correct the overstretching. I use the recumbent bike when my neck is stiff, sometimes with my jacket rolled up to support my lower back in its natural curve, which tends to help the whole spine stay better aligned.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    You should still check with a doctor. I had some x-rays to figure out what was going on when my neck started hurting. You don't want to exercise if what you actually have is something involving your discs, for example, or a cracked vertebra.

In my case, things like driving and using a computer overuse my chest muscles, while overstretching my back and neck. Therefore, working my back strengthens it, and helps to correct the overstretching. I use the recumbent bike when my neck is stiff, sometimes with my jacket rolled up to support my lower back in its natural curve, which tends to help the whole spine stay better aligned.

I never thought of that- genius! Thanks for your advice
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon!