Cookouts . . . HELP!!!

Options
Hey my support system,

So . . . I attended my first cookout with friends and family last weekend and it was a total failure. I gave into all the yummy foods that cookouts have. I have another one to attend this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to manage eating better at these kind of events. Not to mention it's the 4th of July and I am already scared that I am not going to have that self control that I need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• PandalynnKapri
    PandalynnKapri Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just eat everything you want in moderation and leave the carbs out. :smile: I will be going out of town as well and there are some yummy food places I want to try.
  • gainthatmuscle
    gainthatmuscle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    cookouts and holidays are rough to deal with with diets. i have the same trouble as you. what i do is concentrate on my goals and keep telling myself that once i reach my goal i can have a huge greasy cheeseburger. but also what i do is if i have messed up my diet on cookouts and holidays i just workout twice as hard to make up for it
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Have a big salad and protein shake before leaving home. Then when you get there, drink water and diet soda and just pick at the fattening greasy stuff so you look like you're eating it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Just eat everything you want in moderation and leave the carbs out. :smile:

Why?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Just eat everything you want in moderation and leave the carbs out. :smile:

Why?

they're the debil!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm...cookouts...protein.

what's wrong with a cookout? i basically have a cookout every night due to pretty much all of the protein sources I make for dinner comes off the grill...didn't know I was doing it wrong. does grilling chicken thighs at a cookout make them bad? i'm making burgers tonight...93%...is that wrong? I bought these awesome looking sausages to grill over the campfire on 4th of July while we're camping...am I going to put on all of the 45 Lbs I've lost?
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Take your own food. That is what I intend on doing.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I find this question perplexing as I find cookouts very easy to make good choices. There are usually grilled meats, fruit, maybe a veggie tray, salads of some sort, etc. Plus if you are out in the heat, it makes me less likely to want to eat a lot of food, I would rather have something light and enjoy the beverages...

If it is a potluck, take the opportunity to bring something that fits within your eating habits. Plan ahead and eat a little less in the days leading up to the event, and work out on the day of the event, so that you have some calories banked.

It's a holiday, try to enjoy yourself... it is unlikely that you will derail whatever progress you have made with one day.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Mmmmm...cookouts...protein.

what's wrong with a cookout? i basically have a cookout every night due to pretty much all of the protein sources I make for dinner comes off the grill...didn't know I was doing it wrong. does grilling chicken thighs at a cookout make them bad? i'm making burgers tonight...93%...is that wrong? I bought these awesome looking sausages to grill over the campfire on 4th of July while we're camping...am I going to put on all of the 45 Lbs I've lost?

Don't you know that fire + fireworks + freedom = immediate weight gain?

• AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    my recommendation is take a little of the things you like -- and limit yourself to one plate.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    First off, having a day to enjoy delicious foods every once in a while is totally acceptable. Just pick yourself up and get back on track the next day, or eat a little less the week prior to "save up" for the weekend. When you're there, choose the nutrient dense foods like meats, fruit salads, etc. and avoid carbs and crap food like cheeseburgers and hot dogs. I'm a total nutso and have been known to bring a lunch box of my own snacks to enjoy including protein bars, shakes and fruit. That way if there aren't any healthy options, I can still enjoy a drink or two and stay within my cal limit for the day. Also - if you have a general idea of what will be served, pre-logging can really help you stay on track and limit yourself while at the event.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I try to eat healthy before the cook-out and not go the cook-out famished. When you get there, keep a bottle of water in your hand and have whatever you want....in moderation. Don't deprive yourself as it will most likely backfire. Just enjoy and hit the gym the next day!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I find this question perplexing as I find cookouts very easy to make good choices. There are usually grilled meats, fruit, maybe a veggie tray, salads of some sort, etc. Plus if you are out in the heat, it makes me less likely to want to eat a lot of food, I would rather have something light and enjoy the beverages...

If it is a potluck, take the opportunity to bring something that fits within your eating habits. Plan ahead and eat a little less in the days leading up to the event, and work out on the day of the event, so that you have some calories banked.

It's a holiday, try to enjoy yourself... it is unlikely that you will derail whatever progress you have made with one day.

exactly...I don't get it either. I basically cookout every night in the summer...most of my dinners come in at or under 500 calories, and they tend to be fairly large portions of food.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Just eat everything you want in moderation and leave the carbs out. :smile: I will be going out of town as well and there are some yummy food places I want to try.

I would put this slightly differently. Focus on eating proteins and fill up your plate with other things which you are lower cal but that can fill your plate so there's less room of the high calorie bombs. Then you can still have a little room for some higher calorie tasty stuff.

Also, maybe you can try pre-logging a few of the items you really enjoy at these events. I love a good potato salad, but I looked it up and now I put it on my plate more cautiously. If it a great potato salad I'll have a serving of it, but I find it easier to pass the "meh" items if I've logged them before and know how much they are going to "cost" me.

I find I feel less deprived if I know I'm eating some of the foods I really like, even if I'm not eating ALL of the food!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    First off, having a day to enjoy delicious foods every once in a while is totally acceptable. Just pick yourself up and get back on track the next day, or eat a little less the week prior to "save up" for the weekend. When you're there, choose the nutrient dense foods like meats, fruit salads, etc. and avoid carbs and crap food like cheeseburgers and hot dogs. I'm a total nutso and have been known to bring a lunch box of my own snacks to enjoy including protein bars, shakes and fruit. That way if there aren't any healthy options, I can still enjoy a drink or two and stay within my cal limit for the day. Also - if you have a general idea of what will be served, pre-logging can really help you stay on track and limit yourself while at the event.

Why are cheeseburgers and hot dogs crap food? I mean, I know a lot of people feel that way about hot dogs, I don't, personally, but why cheeseburgers?

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If it is a potluck, bring a dish that is filling and lower calorie that you can fill up on, then take small portions of other things. Otherwise, take larger portions of things like salad and the veggie tray and if they do lean meats like chicken breasts. Eat those first, then if you are still hungry, take small portions of the other things.

If it isn't a potluck, be a good guest and offer to bring a side dish "to help the hostess" (but in reality you are bringing something for yourself).
  • bobimeeuwsen
    bobimeeuwsen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The Suggestions are great!
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Why are cheeseburgers and hot dogs crap food? I mean, I know a lot of people feel that way about hot dogs, I don't, personally, but why cheeseburgers?

red meat is the devil?

or maybe it's because the BBQ kind of looks like the fiery depths of hell...

fire-animated-hot-burn.gif
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Life should never dictate your diet, or is it your diet should never dictate life. Maybe it's a little of both. If you think of your goal as losing all the time your going to fail. For example imagine a company that only wanted profits and was never willing to take a loss to accomplish more. Look at the numbers of great thing and put them on a graph and you won't see a straight line headed in the right direction; you will see what looks like the Rocky Mountain. Don't be afraid of a little weight gain. Don't see it as a cheat day. As long as you have a plan to continue down a good path to a healthier you eating 4th of July, thanksgiving, and other gut busting holidays isn't going to affect you. Because your eye is on the end goal, you will make it up if on the other days you get back on track. Plus it's the 4th there should be activities at the BBQ. So instead of just sitting and talking throw a frisbee or play horse shoes. There are plenty of outs that don't include bringing your own food. The only time I think it's necessary to bring food is if you celiac or have a food allergy. Otherwise enjoy the dinner party.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Think long term. One day eating at a cookout isn't the end. It's an opportunity to relax and enjoy time with friends and have some good food. Just consider it extra fuel for the next workout.