Getting Used to Running in Stability Shoes

Options
demoiselle2014
demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
When I started C25K, I was running in some Saucony running shoes I'd bought for everyday wear. When I got to 22 minutes of running and realized I was going to finish the program and I'd be doing longer runs three times a week, I went to a running store to get fitted for shoes. Unfortunately, someone new helped me and they didn't even check my stride. After two weeks in the new shoes, I was getting tender knees, so I went back to the store and got properly fitted by someone who checked my stride in and out of the shoes I was wearing.

Not at all to my surprise, I discovered that I'm doing something similar to overpronating (though I was landing on the inner sides of my heels rather than rolling inwards after the heel strike). I was fitted in ASICS GT-3000 3s, and could see via video that they do correct my heel strike. My movement looked far more stable in the new shoes than they had before.

I walked in them for the last two days, and today I went for my first 30 minute run in them. It's quite noticeable that I'm using different muscles now. Also, my toes are very tired! How long will it take for me to get used to running in support shoes? Is there any particular method I should use over the next week or two to get used to the different stride?

Is there any sense in getting a pair of support shoes for every day walking as well, or should I walk in neutral shoes?

(Note: I have orthotics for hallux limitus, and was fitted to wear them with the running shoes.)

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You're in one of the most stable shoes on the market, a shoe you can only buy in a running store.
    And you have orthotics?
    That's a lot but I also don't know what hallux limitus is so there's that.

What Saucony shoes were you in before?

I hope that when you returned the first pair to the running store, you informed someone that the previous person didn't do a gait check. That's their whole job and they aren't doing it.

I'd take it slow to get used to the shoe.
    Like repeat the last few weeks of C25k so you aren't running the full 30min in them.
    That should help you get used to it.
    That's how you're supposed to ease into minimalist shoes & zero drop shoes so I would think, it'd hold true going the opposite way.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    What Sauconys were you wearing? My guess is that your legs are tired because (a) 30 minute run, YAHOO FOR YOU! (b) Sauconys usually have a 4mm or 8mm heel-toe drop and the GT-2000 3's are a 10mm drop, *not* a neutral/stability difference.

It took me like 1 run to get used to an 8mm drop after running in a 10mm drop for years, so I wouldn't be too worried. I'm guessing the toe soreness might be because you are still landing heavily on your mid/forefoot and the Asics (I have a pair) have more cushioning in the heel? Also could be the length of the run, or your socks...

I am of the belief that it is good to wear a *variety* of shoe types and supports, to build up the little muscles in as many dimensions as possible. I don't know if it actually prevents injury down the line, but it can't hurt. (Barring things like inserts for plantar fasciitis recovery and prescribed orthotics, of course.)
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    You're in one of the most stable shoes on the market, a shoe you can only buy in a running store.
    And you have orthotics?
    That's a lot but I also don't know what hallux limitus is so there's that.

What Saucony shoes were you in before?

I hope that when you returned the first pair to the running store, you informed someone that the previous person didn't do a gait check. That's their whole job and they aren't doing it.

I'd take it slow to get used to the shoe.
    Like repeat the last few weeks of C25k so you aren't running the full 30min in them.
    That should help you get used to it.
    That's how you're supposed to ease into minimalist shoes & zero drop shoes so I would think, it'd hold true going the opposite way.

My original shoes were Ignition 5s, and the Saucony shoes that I returned were Triumph ISOs. I loved how they felt, but I guess they didn't do what they needed to.

My orthotics correct for hallux limitus, which is a loss of flexibility in the big toe. Basically, if I want not to develop arthritis and toe problems, I need a bit of extra support under the toe. I go for stiffer soled shoes in general, too. When I go back to my doctor, I will have her check to see what she can do in terms of my stride.

I definitely told the people in the store that their salesperson failed to check my gait! That's the main reason I returned and got refitted. They commented that they had had some new people. I suspect that she just didn't know what she was doing.

Good advice about repeating the last few weeks of C25K. I'll try to ease into these shoes a bit more.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    What Sauconys were you wearing? My guess is that your legs are tired because (a) 30 minute run, YAHOO FOR YOU! (b) Sauconys usually have a 4mm or 8mm heel-toe drop and the GT-2000 3's are a 10mm drop, *not* a neutral/stability difference.

It took me like 1 run to get used to an 8mm drop after running in a 10mm drop for years, so I wouldn't be too worried. I'm guessing the toe soreness might be because you are still landing heavily on your mid/forefoot and the Asics (I have a pair) have more cushioning in the heel? Also could be the length of the run, or your socks...

I am of the belief that it is good to wear a *variety* of shoe types and supports, to build up the little muscles in as many dimensions as possible. I don't know if it actually prevents injury down the line, but it can't hurt. (Barring things like inserts for plantar fasciitis recovery and prescribed orthotics, of course.)

I was wearing Saucony Triumph ISOs, which are the ones I returned. It was just my second 30 minute run ever, and I can tell that different muscles were engaged than in the other shoes. Plus, with my heel strike changed, my weight is balanced more over the ball of my foot as I roll from heel to toe (if that makes sense), which is a big change. The side where I had the worse heel strike is the side where my toes are now most tired.

I like the idea of a variety of shoes, but I'll have to budget for that. My old running shoes (the Saucony Ignition 5s that I started C25K wearing) may need to be retired even as walking shoes at this point, however. I walk a lot and have had them for a year, so they may be wearing out.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd add, don't use your running shoes for any other training, including walking. The wear patterns are different and given the cost of running shoes it's as well to avoid losing track of their mileage life.

I'd agree with the comments about heel/ toe drop above, it's a small change but makes a huge difference. I go the other way, with 8mm road and 4 mm trail shoes. Early season has to be quite controlled to avoid injury from the lower drop in my trail shoes.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I won't use the running shoes for everyday walking. I'll get another shoe for that. I do sometimes finish my run and walk home . . . but that can't always be helped.
  • jtdominion
    jtdominion Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sorry, no definite answer for your question. Just thought to share my experience.

I overpronate and got fitted at a couple of running stores with stability shoes. Tried a few brands (Brooks, Nike, Saucony, NB) and my legs feel tired in all of them, almost like the feeling of wearing heels for a long time and I never did get used to them even after many runs.

So, I went back to neutral shoes and feel so much better in them. Many experienced runners also shared that gait analysis is not a be all and end all. One may have overpronation but still does not need stability shoes, even though that is the standard formula. So, if neutral shoes aren't causing you injuries and you feel comfortable running in them, maybe consider staying with them?

Good luck!
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I guess there will be a bit of trial and error with this! I just want to find a way to keep running without hurting my knees or joints. It's hard to tell which factor is causing tenderness, though. Could be the surface I am running on, or a need to develop more strength in supporting muscles, too, I suppose.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

I was wearing Saucony Triumph ISOs, which are the ones I returned. It was just my second 30 minute run ever, and I can tell that different muscles were engaged than in the other shoes. Plus, with my heel strike changed, my weight is balanced more over the ball of my foot as I roll from heel to toe (if that makes sense), which is a big change. The side where I had the worse heel strike is the side where my toes are now most tired.

I like the idea of a variety of shoes, but I'll have to budget for that. My old running shoes (the Saucony Ignition 5s that I started C25K wearing) may need to be retired even as walking shoes at this point, however. I walk a lot and have had them for a year, so they may be wearing out.

Couple of thoughts:

Even if your old shoes are pretty worn out, try alternating them and the Asics for a few runs and see if you get used to the new ones. If not, try something else. When I tried them on, I thought the equivalent New Balances (870 v#) were extra squooshy and have a similar heel drop as Sauconys, so that could be one to try.

As far as building up a stash: the cheapest way to do this is take advantage of end-of-model-year sales, which are usually in the winter/spring. You can also still score some older model years for significant discounts on Running Warehouse (free returns) and 6pm (cheaper, but you pay for return shipping), sometimes even on Amazon. The long-haul commitment way is not to run any one pair of shoes into the ground. About halfway through their lifespan, start testing out other models. Rotate them. It does basically double the amount of money you spend on running shoes each year, but it spreads the cost out better. My budget, at least, appreciates that.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that has been stated above. Just thought I would share my experience. I too started C25K in Saucony shoes that I picked off the rack at a sporting goods store and absolutely loved them. When I finally got fitted properly at a running store it was obvious that I was over pronating and ended up in a new Mizuno stability shoe. I hated these shoes for my first 3 runs - they were overly heavy and everything felt wrong. But on the fourth run it all came together and I ended up loving them from that point forward. I also wear prescription orthodics in my running shoes and according to my doctor should not be in any shoe that has less than a 4mm drop. Like some others I keep 3 pair of running shoes and rotate between them (1old Hoka Stinson, 1 new Hoka Stinson Lite, 1 Karhu) and I wear Asics for everything except running.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jtdominion wrote: »
    Sorry, no definite answer for your question. Just thought to share my experience.

I overpronate and got fitted at a couple of running stores with stability shoes. Tried a few brands (Brooks, Nike, Saucony, NB) and my legs feel tired in all of them, almost like the feeling of wearing heels for a long time and I never did get used to them even after many runs.

So, I went back to neutral shoes and feel so much better in them. Many experienced runners also shared that gait analysis is not a be all and end all. One may have overpronation but still does not need stability shoes, even though that is the standard formula. So, if neutral shoes aren't causing you injuries and you feel comfortable running in them, maybe consider staying with them?

Good luck!

This is my experience, too. I overpronate, have since I was a kid, still do better in neutral shoes. The overpronation has improved over time.

I go one farther and run in zero drop shoes. I found that I was getting jumper's knee running with a standard 8mm drop. Still had a bit of a problem with a 4mm drop, though it was much improved. Took time to get my calves and achilles strong enough to handle the increased load, and some focus on correct stride but it was worth it for me. All this to say that you might consider looking at lower drop shoes, too. Might help with your heel strike and help you take some load off of your forefoot. You might also be able to do that by just concentrating on improving your form.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Ouch. This definitely hurts/aches. Icing my left foot and seeing the podiatrist on Monday . . . hopefully it's just that I needed to get used to the shoes gradually. Being a beginner at anything is rough.
  • demoiselle2014
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ow. I definitely overdid it in the new shoes. I feel like one of the muscles in the ball of my foot has seized up and I can barely walk today. Seeing the podiatrist on Monday, applying ice packs and now heating pads (since it feels muscular). I guess this is my first ever exercise related injury. I had to cancel going with hubby to a hiking event and a mine walking tour with friends today. Very sad. Hubby will be walking around today, and I'll be sitting (mostly literally) at home.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    As a note, if anyone has been following or is curious--my foot is almost better today, though there is some residual pain. I saw my podiatrist this morning, who has told me to return the stability shoes and get neutral running shoes again. I'm cleared to keep running, but I may get new orthotics with a bit deeper heel cup to give me more stability while running.

Running store . . . here I come. Again.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I saw my podiatrist this morning, who has told me to return the stability shoes and get neutral running shoes again. I'm cleared to keep running, but I may get new orthotics with a bit deeper heel cup to give me more stability while running.

The snag you're now finding is, that there is no right answer.

Generally I'd avoid orthotics with running shoes, but given a specific condition it might be an appropriate answer.

The challenge is that the shoe is designed to work, and as soon as you start putting something new in there it's not operating as designed. The same applies to a neutral shoe. That's why I'd generally say that selling footbeds at the same time as shoes is a bit of a scam, for similar reasons.

• demoiselle2014
    Options
    Out of the two, I think I'd better follow my podiatrist's advice, since the orthotics are to protect my toe joints . . . going without them while running could damage my feet . . . and I've had no pain since I've worn them. I guess I go for the neutral shoes + orthotics, and then see whether I can work on my running form.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I wear orthotics when I run due to PF. I've found a neutral shoe is by far better with the orthotics.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Yep, as soon as my foot is all better and I have my new orthotics, I'm going to get fitted . . . again.