Cheat Weekend and Weight Gain

Options
I have been on a low calorie diet (1800 per day) since January and have lost 46 pounds .
I went to Vegas on Friday until Monday morning and I deemed that as my first and only cheat weekend during my weight loss journey. I have never been over my calories before that and I felt it was time to indulge.

So the weekend went on, and I came home and my scale said I gained 9 pounds??
I input all my food choices into the fitness calculator and it said that at MOST I should've only gained 1.5 pounds

How is this possible? I heard that if you eat a lot of sugar and salt that you can retain water, but 9 pounds of it?
Should I be concerned?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Concerned about what?

Probably more carbs, more salt, more travel, more water retention.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Water retention from sodium intake and traveling.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Unless you ate 31,500 calories over your maintenance over the weekend, it's water weight. Go back to your normal routine and it will go back to "normal".

ETA: Since you went to Vegas....those buffets can be killer! But the above still applies.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Unless you ate 31,500 calories over your maintenance over the weekend, it's water weight. Go back to your normal routine and it will go back to "normal".

ETA: Since you went to Vegas....those buffets can be killer! But the above still applies.

This. Simple math says that you didn't gain nine pounds of fat. Have you ever seen the movie Seven? Remember the first guy that died from glutton? Ya...you would pretty much be like him.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you combine flying and carbs/sodium and maybe even some alcohol, 9 pounds water is totally possible. My prediction is that ~6 of those will be off in a couple days, and much of the rest shortly after.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

This. Simple math says that you didn't gain nine pounds of fat. Have you ever seen the movie Seven? Remember the first guy that died from glutton? Ya...you would pretty much be like him.

*shudder*

That movie freaked me out.

To OP - give it a couple days - I bet you'll lose most if not all of that after a few days of getting back to normal.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    definitely water/ sodium/travel/ off normal routine...get back on track and it will be gone in 2-3 days. love vegas!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Great reference
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I gain weight when I travel even if I don't overindulge. It drops back off in a few days.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options

You could give a spoiler warning! Geeze
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I most def did not eat anywhere near those calories. My sodium was like 7500, I had alcohol, like 8 pina coladas .
    I was just a tad worried because it was my first cheat weekend I've had since I began and I was not expecting such a gain!
    The flight was 4 hours there and 4 back by the way
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I went to Jamaica in March...came home 7lbs heavier...lost 4 of it the first week...water mostly.

Some was actual weight from excess alcohol consumption...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Low carbing for awhile then introducing a high high carb intake will cause up to 15lbs in water retention for some.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Water retention from sodium intake and traveling.

Most likely a combination of ^this^ ( also from high carb intake from deserts, etc ), and some actual gain from abundance of calories.