Looking for help from others over 55

CAGauv
CAGauv Posts: 1 Member
as i get older i find it harder to exercise and eat right. I'm looking for food ideas and exercise tips for the older generation

Replies

• aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    i'm well over 55, feel free to add me
  • RJenkis
    RJenkis Posts: 1 Member
    I am 54years old and trying hard to lose those 20 kilos I have been taking on for the last 12 months.
    aamb wrote: »
    aamb wrote: »

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Way over 55 now, but lost the weight at that age and have been maintaining ever since.

Food choices are easy- start with eating what you want just stay within your calorie deficit. That can be the hard part, so try decreasing your calories 100 at a time over a couple of weeks, logging what you normally eat for a week first. Later you may decide to work on your macros for a healthier menu.

Exercise, find something you like and do it.

Mine was aqua fit x3 a week to begin with. Really good for stretching and flexibility as well as being low impact.
    Since then I have walked 10k races, done belly dancing, Pilates, swimming lessons, Zumba, and strength training( tried machines, free weights, body weight, & heavy).

Although exercise is not needed to lose weight, I think, as we are getting older, some kind of resistance work is a necessity as we lose. Not only are we losing muscle with the weight loss, but we are naturally losing it due to our age and menopause.

I found nerdfitness.com had a good starting body weight program that was simple and easy to follow.

Cheers, h.