Weight loss after baby and gallbladder removal

Options
I had my second baby 4 months ago. After my first, I lost 60lbs in about 5-6 months but then started having gallbladder problems with the end result of a week in the hospital and having it removed. Now I haven't lost a single pound of weight after this baby and I'm starting to feel wonky in a lot of ways, one of which is feeling awful after a high fat meal. Obviously I'm seeing my Dr and changing diet and stuff, but is there a group here who has lost weight after having this surgery? After I had it I gained a pound or two but nothing too bad until I got pregnant again. I'd like to find some support and hopefully some success stories from those who have had the surgery and lost weight after and successfully changed their diet! I'm really discouraged right now. I want to lose this weight and feel better again!

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    There are many people here who have continued to lose weight after gallbladder surgery. I think that I have lost 30 or 40 more pounds since I had mine removed.

Yes, see your doctor...but also know that it sometimes takes a few months to really feel normal again after a cholecystectomy. I would imagine that having just had a baby is the bigger issue!
  • 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed 1 year ago. For first 6 months after i suffered terribly with upset tums. Been dieting for 6 months and eating less fat and it has really made a difference. Still get odd upset tum but not often - usually if I eat too many chillies! Best thing is no more pain or worrying
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You should steer away from the higher fat diets. Try 10% fat? That might work.

If it doesn't, then you can get some meds to help. I had a friend who ended up feeling like she got a new lease on life with the fat-digesting enzyme or whatever it is.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I had gallstones for 8 years and finally had my gallbladder removed. I must be a special snowflake as high fat doesn't bother my gut at all, but carbs give me diarrhea since the bladder has been gone and big stomach aches. My diet is 70% fat (percent of calories that is).
  • Kassouf1108
    Kassouf1108 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out a year after I had my son. I had a lot of digestive issues the first several months, usually after a high fat meal. I gained a lot of weight for various reasons, but I am starting to lose!
  • ladymorella
    ladymorella Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago. Right after the surgery meals with fat caused me issues. That settled down after 8 months - 1 year I think. Now I still have issues if I have a high fat meal, but it's not too big of a deal since it only lasts about 30 min. And it's a good reminder to make sure to not eat high fat meals. So it doesn't happen much. The only time it's big deal is if I am on the road traveling.

Probably not a bad idea to check with the doctor though.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ive had issues for about 2 years after having mine removed, it's all just trial and error to see what upsets my stomach, but definatley high fat foods are a no no for me. I haven't had any trouble in losing the weight, it was the opposite for me and i lost very quickly in the first 6 months due to feeling so crappy all the time after eating and making me physically ill.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out 4 months after my second child. It takes a while for your body to adjust to processing fatty foods. Logging your food may help; I found that it really was only a problem in the morning, after that it didn't seem to matter.
  • YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about 5 years ago. The first year was the worst for me, I found I just could not go out to eat, I had to eat at home where I knew where the bathroom was. Now most foods don't bother me, but I will get pain after eating highly processed foods for some reason, and eating too much fat too often can cause me some problems too. However there really isn't a change in the rate at which I gain or lose weight. Give your body time to adjust, it took me a year, maybe a little more but all seems fine again besides the issues I mentioned. As the poster above said. Not a bad idea to check with your doctor.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I just had my gallbladder removed a week ago after 15 years of trying to figure out what was wrong. Posting here to read about everyone's experiences, so I can remind myself that ice cream is hardly ever the answer.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Take a probiotic. And ox bile supplement. And always take a enzyme before eating a higher fat meal. This you will find will help loads and since you are not digesting normally or having bile dumping this will help. Healthfood store ir vitamin shoppe has it. I had out for 12 years.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2005, the day after I had my first child. I've lost 83 pounds in the past year. I've had zero issues.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I too have had mine out many years ago - apart from initially finding there were a few foods that caused pain/nausea - which for me oranges, high fat content foods however it was temporary and now I find I don't have restrict anything, that said though everyone is different it will help for you do conduct your own experiments into trial and error.

I have heard for many decades now, that gall bladder removal equals 'Sorry but it's now impossible to lose weight'.

My older sister had her's removed and used the above untruths as just another reason to continue to overeat and add to her burgeoning waist line all with my Mother's support and her being the source of said "Old wives tale".

Please do find your trigger foods if you have any - avoid them for the time being and be rest assured you too will have no troubles losing weight as long as you have the CI-CO equation right.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I had gallstones for 8 years and finally had my gallbladder removed. I must be a special snowflake as high fat doesn't bother my gut at all, but carbs give me diarrhea since the bladder has been gone and big stomach aches. My diet is 70% fat (percent of calories that is).

It really depends on the person! But that is pretty remarkable tolerance, there.
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I've been keeping an eye on my fat intake lately and trying to find trigger foods. I need to drop the weight again for my kids - I'm not taking no for an answer! I'm also looking into a probiotic. I know nothing about them so if you have a favorite please share!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I've been keeping an eye on my fat intake lately and trying to find trigger foods. I need to drop the weight again for my kids - I'm not taking no for an answer! I'm also looking into a probiotic. I know nothing about them so if you have a favorite please share!

I had mine out in 2012 and have trouble with some fats - pork, in particular. Ice cream is fine, unfortunately LOL. I used digestive enzymes with every meal for the first year after and they really helped. I wanted to try ox bile, but could never find it. And probiotics are wonderful, but probably won't help with the gallbladder. I am sensitive to FOS/inulin so if you try one that contains that and feel sick (diarrrhea, cramps), try one without. My favourite is Renew Life FloraSmart 6 or 12 billion. I could feel a difference in my gut health with those. I am trying a new one that is 25 billion and it doesn't seem as good, so now I think that enteric coating or similar is important so it survives the passage to the intestine.