I lift weights and do yoga, is a barre class going to be a joke?

Options
lauramillat
lauramillat Posts: 41 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Never been to a barre class before, going tomorrow!

My normal workouts are weight lifting and vinyasa yoga. Will Barre kick my butt or be easy for me?

I have a feeling its going to be the latter...

Replies

• discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Well my yoga instructor friend said they kicked her butt. And helped her lose weight for the first time in years. I've never done one.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    probably- but in it's own way. Those classes usually have an absurdly high number of reps and are big on the 'bounce" holds.

and they suck- no matter how good of shape you are in.

I can pull some substantial numbers on my lifts- and I know after like 15 minutes of body bump cardio weight classes I'm dying. But you'll be fine- do the best you can and modify as you need to keep working.
  • lauramillat
    Options
    So should I try to avoid doing the high reps? Focus on what I think is beneficial? I saw pictures of those silly pink light weights "so you can get long and lean muscles" on their website and I LAUGHED.

Going with my future sis in law and she likes them so I don't want to be too negative... That's why I am trying to get some insight before I go!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Just go- take the class- you know it probably won't do anything for you but making miserable and out of breath- but it's not about you- or your workout- so just go- do all the things. sweat under your breath and have fun with your FSIL.

• lauramillat
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

Good news is we will be taking a TRX class later the same day. Never tried that but I KNOW that will kick my butt, in a GOOD way.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    yeah- sometimes you just gotta go do things even if you mentally know it's not doing anything for you. I run with a friend occasionally- she's at run walk speed- and I'm running solid 8-9 min miles. But it helps her- so I go.

The TRX class will be good (hopefully) so you'll get some fun stuff to talk about over dinner. Expect to be sore- super high rep stuff always makes me really sore.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Barre class focuses on muscle endurance rather than strength gains. I know the feeling wanting to laugh at the small pink weights, I almost laughed at the girl who told me they used 2lbs or 3lb weights; until I took the class and had to go down to the 2lb weights. It's a lot of core work and using different muscle fibers that you wouldn't normally use when doing the weight lifting. I think it's great for a good work-out change-up. I would do it more often if it weren't so expensive to take.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on the teacher. Go with an open mind. If it's not for you, say thank you and don't go back. It's not a workout that I benefit from, but I'm not going to bash it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of my friend that runs marathons, but only lasted about 6 miles on the bicycle when he went with me. And then I can cycle for 100+ miles in a day, but can't run more than 6 miles. They are just different. Same thing applies in this situation in my opinion.