Options
niamh211
niamh211 Posts: 150 Member
is walking good to burn calories?

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Sure! The best exercise is the one you will actually do! Just be realistic about it...walking a mile isn't going to crush tons of calories, but it still adds up and ultimately lets you eat more.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Aren't you trying to gain weight? It might be a better idea to limit your cardio while trying to up your calories and recover from your ED.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing. Running a mile burns just as many calories as walking a mile. So yes, walking is a good way to burn calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walking can be good exercise. The faster you walk the better the cardiovascular benefit.

I like this calculator for calorie burn estimations....

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Good compared to what? It's good compared to not doing any exercise. It's good for those who are fairly unfit. It's good because one can usually walk for much longer times than one can do more intense exercise.

As calorie burns go, it's not particularly large unless you are walking fast or up steep hills. For myself I usually figure about 5 kcal/minute of walking, compared to 9-10 kcal/min for much more intense exercise.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I've read the range of calorie burn per mile as being between 50-90% of the calorie burn of running a mile. You can increase the burn by walking uphill.
  • niamh211
    niamh211 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well I walked 14km so I have a lot of eating back to do tonigh woohoo
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good start for exercise. I walk on my rest days from running so I still get my steps. ( I count my steps ).
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    agal129 wrote: »
    Running a mile burns just as many calories as walking a mile.

Probably false. Running requires roughly twice the energy expenditure for a given unit of time except where the walker is reaching speed-walking rates where the less efficient mechanics make that sort of stride very energy intense. Few here do that.

If you've got limited time, running will maximise the burn benefit.

If you can't run or don't want to, walking is a perfectly good exercise but like anything you get out of it what you put into it. A brisk walk that raises your heart rate and includes some hills will be of greater benefit all around than a casual stroll around the block.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    niamh211 wrote: »
    is walking good to burn calories?

I can burn around 1,000 calories walking 25,000ish steps.10+ miles
    so yes! Walking is a great exercise.

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Walking can be good exercise. The faster you walk the better the cardiovascular benefit.

Thanks for the link. .walking is all I can do at the moment due to injury. ..it was good to be able to a calculate my calories burned. ..Mfp always over estimates by nearly double lol. :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I go by what my fitbit tells me.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I need to invest in one! :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    I need to invest in one! :wink:

Definitely do! It takes the guess work out of everything.
    I've got the basic zip. The best $60 I've ever spent :+1:

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's good exercise. I walk all the time. It's so hot here that I sweat like a pig and when I'm done, I get in the pool, but I do it. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

What an interesting calculator, I was surprised that the calorie burn is the same for some slow walks rather than faster walks. Thanks for that link :smile:
  • Golda5775
    Golda5775 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise. It's not only good for your body, but it's also great for your mind. It's a very calming exercise and helps to relax you if you're stressed! I walk about an hour everyday! I love it!
  • lydonfan
    lydonfan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just back from knee op and also blood clot in my calf. This is my starting point for exercise and rehab.