muscle mass to make up for the loose skin?

Options
Schwiggity
Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
To those of you who have lost a lot of weight and hit your goal weight (especially other guys). Have you had any luck dealing with loose skin by gaining muscle mass or anything besides surgery? My goal is a bit away, but all these loose skin threads have me thinking about what my body's even going to look like.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    techinically loose skin isnt really loose skin..its still fat.
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    At 22 years old you have a much better shot at the skin still having its elasticity and shrinking back. It won't shrink over night but over a years course it might.

As far as building muscle that is possible for bidy parts such as arm, but you will have to eat a caloric surplus to add the muscle and that takes time too. Your stomach and abs can not be built up enough to make up for lose skin.

I have seen pics of a young make losing weight and his skin shrunk over time.

Being young is your advantage here.
  • Schwiggity
    Options

Will the shrunken adipose tissue be less prevalent if I increase muscle mass?*

That better?
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Ummmm, don't know about that. I'm a 170cm tall female and got down to 55kg from 120kg and I promise you all the loose skin removed during my 2 staged body lift wasn't fat. I had a body composition scan and I was at the lowest percentage body fat for my my size.

So now you ask, why am I on this site? After a traumatic event at work I regained a few kg and love the receiving and giving of support being here gives while getting back on track.

I have found the younger you are and the shortest time spent overweight (and good gentics) will help with the skin springing back issue. Our skin is like a jumper that has been stretched a lot over time, it just doesn't ever quite fit the same...
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have recently hit my goal weight and am now officially in maintenance mode with MFP. I lost just over 30llb and my only concern is a little loose skin or excess fat on my belly. I no loosing more weight wont fix this and to be honest i don't want to loose any more. I am currently working like mad on my ab area trying to build muscle in order to get rid of this loose skin / jelly belly thing.

I have ben assured by people who have faced the same problem that you cant loose weight in specific areas but general healthy eating and lots of exercise will get rid of this problem area.
  • alianf
    alianf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hope you ignore that loose skin being fat comment. When someone has lost a large amount of weight, loose skin is most likely going to be a problem. When you're very large, your skin has to stretch to accomodate and depending on age and genetics it may not be as accomodating shrinking back down. You definitely have age on your side.

I have no experience or real knowledge but wanted to say WAY TO GO on your weight loss and good luck in your journey.
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    I hope you ignore that loose skin being fat comment. When someone has lost a large amount of weight, loose skin is most likely going to be a problem. When you're very large, your skin has to stretch to accomodate and depending on age and genetics it may not be as accomodating shrinking back down. You definitely have age on your side.

I have no experience or real knowledge but wanted to say WAY TO GO on your weight loss and good luck in your journey.

Thanks for the compliment. :)
    If I recall correctly she's correct somewhat. The fat tissues never really go away, but shrink substantially. At least that's what I remember from the nutrition class I took.
  • theladebug
    theladebug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Im not sure on this, but I think that building muscle DOES help. I've also heard that dry brushing your skin can help (although it can be a little bit weird).

Also there are some essential oils which are really beneficial to the skin for example, cypress oil and frankincense oils both promote cell regeneration and may help heal the skin. Grapefruit oil along with some of the other citrus oils are good for treating cellulite and they help detoxify your skin which may also help it heal. There are also a couple of essential oils which are helpful for skin elasticity which would help as well. Its easy to use essential oils on your skin... just mix them with some sweet almond or jojoba oil (you can find recommendations for ratios online) and then just use it after showers or in place of lotion.

Just be aware before using them that some of them can cause photo-sensitivity and some should not be used by pregnant women (not that I think you're pregnant or a woman haha)