1200 calories a day, 7 hours of exercise

Options
I'm not a follower of The Biggest Loser but I was interested to read this article on the new camp they have in Malibu for people that want to follow the program without being on TV. Seven hours of exercise on only 1200 calories? Seems like The Biggest Loser folks aren't too worried about starvation mode... and clearly their participants are losing a bunch of weight. Does anyone know whether most of these people keep it off or not?

Link to article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1390847/How-I-lost-weight-Biggest-Loser-style-TV-cameras.html

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Entertainment industry logic: Astounding/dramatic changes = results. Results = ratings. Ratings = profit. By any means necessary. It's not in the show's best interests to have slow progress. That said, they evaluate the standard that those who are significantly bigger can sustain such a drastic deficit. It's true to a point. Still, it doesn't stop the majority of the nation from watching either. I'm a non-conformist who doesn't watch prime time network TV. Unless it's on Adult Swim or G4, I don't care for it.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Their diet is extreme but it does work for the morbidly obese. It wont work so well for those with less to lose.

Most put on weight after leaving the house. Thats totally normal because the diet and exercise is unsustainable. Some manage to keep the weight off through healthy living and others gain most of it back. Looking at the recent photos of Sunshine I thought she had gained a lot back. Michael seems to have maintained fairly well and Tara looks totally fab (she is very into her fitness).
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    also the people that generally go on biggest loser are obese or morbidly obese so usually they can do a drastic routine like 1200cals a day and 7 hours of exercise to lose weight quickly. However, I would worry about their mentality, stress levels and future eating disorders. I know I would go crazy doing that. I go a lil crazy if i work out 7 hours a week(let alone in one day,LOL)
    xx
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    What amazes me is that morbidly obese people can even do that much exercise without having a heart attack. And I say that as someone with 150 pounds to lose who gets winded walking more than a few blocks.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    lol because there is no such thing as starvation mode!

most bariatric doctors put their very obese pts on 800 cal diets with exercise.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    Most put on weight after leaving the house.

prove it
  • baxyboy
    baxyboy Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I HATE shows like that - they're just a thinly-veiled excuse for people who watch to point and laugh whilst feeling better about themselves.

The people on the shows may well lose weight (often quite a lot), but the rate of loss is fat too high, the daily routine they are given is unrealistic and unmaintainable, it sets a bad example to any overweight people watching who want to lose weight, and I have no doubt that most people on the show will simply pile the weight back on once the show is done.

If the makers of the show actually cared about the people on it, they'd get them making long term lifestyle changes like eating sensibly and generally becoming more active within the structure of their normal daily lives, then go back and check their progress in 3/6/12 months.
  • fuzzymel
    Options
    Most put on weight after leaving the house.

prove it

As I said have a look at Sunshines recent pictures. Have a look at Eric.

Read the interviews with them. They all say it.

Its common sense that once you stop starving yourself and working out 7 hours a day you are going to gain weight.
  • fuzzymel
    Options
    lol because there is no such thing as starvation mode!

most bariatric doctors put their very obese pts on 800 cal diets with exercise.

A diet which is no suitable for those who have less to lose. The biggest loser picks the largest people they can find. The diet is not suitable for most overweight people who have much less to lose.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have never watched the biggest loser, nor had the slightest inclination to. I think I am in the minority here, though. I LOATHE reality TV.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love biggest loser, I was watching one yesterday and they said they aim for a 6000 calorie burn against a 1200 calorie diet which equals just under 10lbs a week.

I'm tempted to give it a go for a week when the kid is in school and I have the energy to burn that much (obviously they take in to account BMR which will be high amongst 400lb people).

I find it quite inspiring actually, seeing their shape change over a season, it may not be sustainable at that level but it is maintainable.